What's new

Paul Reed signs 3 yr 24mil offer sheet with Jazz

This is an aggressive offer by the Jazz. I would be shocked if Philly matches as they didn't even play Reed much and it would put them in the luxury.

Reed is a unique player - the dude is great in transition and rarely settles for jumpers as he simply dripples to the rim (not many bigs can do it like Reed) and is crafty enough to get easy buckets in the paint. The fact he can also defend makes him really unique for a guy who isn't a starter.

I like this signing and would now like to get someone decent at the 3 as I feel we're a bit light there when Lauri is not on the floor (Fontecchio sucks).
I think we’re good to go if we want our rooks getting any Big League burn. I don’t see why Hendricks Agbaji or Sensabaugh couldn’t slot in behind Laurie. Agreed, Fontechio was underwhelming in his first NBA season.

So I'm guessing if Jazz don't make playoffs and Reed does not get the extension,
but Reed plays very well, Jazz will reward him with a new contract.

I know Hendricks is 19, but imo part of the appeal of him is that he has ready made NBA skills. He’s a contribute right away type of guy. He’s a player that should look better next to better players. To see him rot in the G-League…frustrating. I guess we could try to develop out more of his offensive game, but I’m not too optimistic about that part of his game.

Also, John Collins should just be our backup C and play with Kelly. But whatever…collecting assets I guess. Expensive to pay a guy $8M that won’t improve your rotation.
It's super weird how our FO is treatig Hendricks from the moment they drafted him. Every single thing they've done since suggests they don't think he's ready to play... yet. And I completely agree with you that this is at the very least surprising when you consider his skillset. I thought he would be really easy fit in ... not just ours but pretty much any team's rotation, since his skills are not high variance skills or skills highly dependent on teammates. He can shoot, he can dunk and he can defend. He will be able to do this pretty much anywhere... too bad that his anywhere is likely going to be the G-League at least to start his career.

The quote I came across and seems to represent Sixers’ fans reaction the best:

‘I hate Ainge so much it’s unreal’.
They are so salty about this. It’s kind of funny.

“But that’s the beauty of this offer sheet structure. It’s not 8 this year for the Sixers it’s 22 with the tax. Danny is basically 1) daring Josh Harris to not be a cheapskate, and 2) sabotaging their max cap plans next year. It really is a brilliant gambit.”

“Putting my personal feelings aside for a moment, tip of the cap to Danny Ainge for crafting the pettiest offer sheet structure I’ve ever seen. Seriously F that guy forever, but well played Danny.”

“Danny”- in a tone of disdain”

“Really interesting way for the Jazz to get themselves out of the deal in a year.”

“Exactly. This is a brilliant move by Ainge to screw over a team.”

That’s just a taste. . .

Won't this also stop the Jazz from frontloading Jordan Clarkson's renegotiate and extend? I thought that couldn't be finalized until November.
They will probably sequence the signings so they will use the capspace for Clarkson's super high first year and then they will give Reed the mid-level exception or part of it...

According to basketball reference, he has hit 3/20 in the NBA.
Gleague was autocorrected to "league".

And even though 94 attempts over 2 G-league seasons isn't a lot, I tend to put more faith in those numbers than his 6-8 attempts per year in the NBA - especially since many/most of those could be desperation attempts on short shot clocks (like Paul Millsap's pre-breakout 3P performance)

I think we’re good to go if we want our rooks getting any Big League burn. I don’t see why Hendricks Agbaji or Sensabaugh couldn’t slot in behind Laurie. Agreed, Fontechio was underwhelming in his first NBA season.
For some SFs I think Agabaji can guard the 3. It helps he has an awesome wingspan. It'll be interesting to see how Hendricks guards the 3. I think he'll have an easier time guarding the 3 VS the 4 at this point but that will change once he gets some bulk. I think Sensabaugh is going to be **** on defense and he's going to get targeted when he's on the floor.

Gleague was autocorrected to "league".

And even though 94 attempts over 2 G-league seasons isn't a lot, I tend to put more faith in those numbers than his 6-8 attempts per year in the NBA - especially since many/most of those could be desperation attempts on short shot clocks (like Paul Millsap's pre-breakout 3P performance)
I immediately thought of Millsap when I saw his mid-range jumper.

This move signals the opposite. It suggests the Jazz believe they will not be a contender or are likely to make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

However, this contract is a useful trade asset - an 8 million expiring for any team looking to blow it up.
If we look like we are making a run, you can trade him in February for an immediate upgrade. Young guy, contract guaranteed to expire for a tanking team... good for salary matching as well.

If we are not looking like we make a run, we can keep him as an expiring.

Reed wins be getting around extra 5M this year compared to what a legit deal would have looked like.

Genious.

It's super weird how our FO is treatig Hendricks from the moment they drafted him. Every single thing they've done since suggests they don't think he's ready to play... yet. And I completely agree with you that this is at the very least surprising when you consider his skillset. I thought he would be really easy fit in ... not just ours but pretty much any team's rotation, since his skills are not high variance skills or skills highly dependent on teammates. He can shoot, he can dunk and he can defend. He will be able to do this pretty much anywhere... too bad that his anywhere is likely going to be the G-League at least to start his career.

Yeah….he’s just a different kind of prospect than Keyonte or Brice to some extent. Those guys were drafted as high volume scorers. I understand if there’s not room to give Keyonte the keys to the offense right away. G-League makes sense for him to figure out that stuff out. But Hendricks? He’s the type of guy that’s supposed to slide right into any team’s structure like you said.

I thought it was kinda weird for them to come out right away and say Hendricks was their last choice at #9. But beyond that quote they’ve really signaled that they aren’t expecting anything from Hendricks this season.

I was also lukewarm on Hendricks and also had him at #9 IIRC….but the selling point for me was clearly his NBA ready skills and ability to perform in a role. The most convincing argument for him in terms of “high potential” was that those role player skills would get him on the court early and often and accelerate his development. Doesn’t look like he’ll get that chance.

This is quite an aggressive offer for a guy did so little within 3 years. I don't know, maybe they see something in him that we don't.

Paying $14mm tax and not sharing in the revenue of non-tax paying teams would be a lot. Not sure for this season, but last season at one point it would have been close to $30mm per team.

Yeah….he’s just a different kind of prospect than Keyonte or Brice to some extent. Those guys were drafted as high volume scorers. I understand if there’s not room to give Keyonte the keys to the offense right away. G-League makes sense for him to figure out that stuff out. But Hendricks? He’s the type of guy that’s supposed to slide right into any team’s structure like you said.

I thought it was kinda weird for them to come out right away and say Hendricks was their last choice at #9. But beyond that quote they’ve really signaled that they aren’t expecting anything from Hendricks this season.

I was also lukewarm on Hendricks and also had him at #9 IIRC….but the selling point for me was clearly his NBA ready skills and ability to perform in a role. The most convincing argument for him in terms of “high potential” was that those role player skills would get him on the court early and often and accelerate his development. Doesn’t look like he’ll get that chance.

I don't think the Jazz view Hendricks as a plug in guy at all. That was Walker (who they had ranked higher.) I think the Jazz like a lot of things about Hendricks, but they are more interested in him as a blank slate to build as they want him. He's going to get a list of things to work on before they start incorporating him in a meaningful way. I'm perfectly OK with this because watching his film from college, his coaching staff didn't do him any favors when it came to his development.

He's going to get a lot of G League burn to start the season. Brice and Keyonte probably do too.

I just think there were much clearer needs and at least one opportunity to take a shot and they didn’t.

If NBA GM work is more often like chess than it is like checkers (IMO, this is the case) then singular moves set up larger, more complex sets of moves. And just like chess, there may be multiple targets.

Second, this idea that we have "needs" that can be met before the setup for those complex moves is complete is moot until it unfolds in its entirety.

So I guess my question for you is, what's your hurry?