What's new

Pick or Trade: Zach Lowe on Jazz Future

Shout-out to Dal for telling everyone to trade Kanter for Bradley at the beginning of the season-- and all of y'all being like "EWWW noOO!!""

He was and is a perfect fit.

If we could nab Holiday on the cheap and he stops being injury prone, that would be a steal. The injuries doe. :(

I still hate the idea of getting Bradley tbh.

For an 11th pick? Me too.

I think Zach Lowe is a year off from making an article of this nature. If we were to miss the playoffs again next year, that's the sort of considerations we would need to be making. At that point in time we'd probably know what we have with Burke, have a better idea of what we have with Exum & Hood, and Hayward + Favors would probably be peaking at that point in time.

In my opinion, you only trade the 11th pick if you can pick up a perimeter defender who can bomb threes better than Elijah Millsap. Otherwise, I'm quite comfortable with a SG rotation of Burks and Hood pending that both stay healthy for most of next year. They complement each other well.

Offseason goals for us are 1) internal development (strength, conditioning, skill); 2) sign backup big (Tomic, Pleiss, or some random journeyman).

I really, really am comfortable with Dante Exum the player. I still expect Burke to make the jump into respectable shooting percentages (#TheExorcism). It would be unwise to go after an FA PG this summer. Next summer makes more sense for re-tooling of this nature.

Let''s look at a potential 10 man roster for us that we'll have under contract next year.

Exum/Burke
Hood/Burks
Hayward/Millsap/Ingles
Favors/Booker
Gobert

Gaping hole 1: backup 5 -- sign Tomic

Gaping hole 2: backup PG/SG/SF (if Ingles plays the 2) -- either draft a wing, or sign/trade for a pretty good shooting one

That brings us to 12-- we can use the rest to maybe pick up Brock Motum, Jack Cooley, or whoever we want as a 5th big. Or maybe hang onto Jeremy Evans (unsure when his contract ends).

Zach is good, man.

The deal has to be perfect. I would hate to see our pick + Hood get dealt for a 29-year old guy who would put Dante deep on the bench and bury Trey.

Of the guys that Lowe mentions, I like Bradley and Holiday best.

I think Zach Lowe is a year off from making an article of this nature. If we were to miss the playoffs again next year, that's the sort of considerations we would need to be making. At that point in time we'd probably know what we have with Burke, have a better idea of what we have with Exum & Hood, and Hayward + Favors would probably be peaking at that point in time.

In my opinion, you only trade the 11th pick if you can pick up a perimeter defender who can bomb threes better than Elijah Millsap. Otherwise, I'm quite comfortable with a SG rotation of Burks and Hood pending that both stay healthy for most of next year. They complement each other well.

Offseason goals for us are 1) internal development (strength, conditioning, skill); 2) sign backup big (Tomic, Pleiss, or some random journeyman).

I really, really am comfortable with Dante Exum the player. I still expect Burke to make the jump into respectable shooting percentages (#TheExorcism). It would be unwise to go after an FA PG this summer. Next summer makes more sense for re-tooling of this nature.

repped.

Tend to agree, especially with the PG position. Jazz know they can be patient with Exum and like Lowe says in the article, the Jazz want to peak in 3 years. Another quality draft pick who will start hitting their stride in 2-3 years fits perfectly with the Jazz timeline.

Jazz aren't stupid enough to stunt Exum's development for merely 5 more wins next season.

Zach is good, man.

The deal has to be perfect. I would hate to see our pick + Hood get dealt for a 29-year old guy who would put Dante deep on the bench and bury Trey.

Yeah, I really hate the idea of giving up Hood and the #11 pick for a guy that age. If we got a dude like George Hill I would like to see something like the #11, Burke, and Booker (but I'm sure the Pacers wouldn't do it). Not sure there is a better fit out there for our PG position than George Hill though.

Let''s look at a potential 10 man roster for us that we'll have under contract next year.

Exum/Burke
Hood/Burks
Hayward/Millsap/Ingles
Favors/Booker
Gobert

Gaping hole 1: backup 5 -- sign Tomic

Gaping hole 2: backup PG/SG/SF (if Ingles plays the 2) -- either draft a wing, or sign/trade for a pretty good shooting one

That brings us to 12-- we can use the rest to maybe pick up Brock Motum, Jack Cooley, or whoever we want as a 5th big. Or maybe hang onto Jeremy Evans (unsure when his contract ends).

Gaping Hole 1: Are both are PG's still well below average?

I'm comfortable with Exum and Burke. The Jazz are doing OK with them right now. Exum is as raw of a rookie pg as the NBA has seen, and Burke's shooting will only get better next year (I hope it can't get worse at least). I like Ingles and Milsap, but they aren't guys that are gonna make a difference on a championship team. I want a guy who can play good defense, has good size, and helps on offense (Carrol, Matthews, Winslow, Johnson type). This all assuming they get Tomic as a backup C.

Zach is good, man.

Holiday is the dream player of them because of age, skill, and fit. The injuries are terrible though. Going to play under 40 games for the 2nd straight season with leg injuries in both seasons.

Gaping Hole 1: Are both are PG's still well below average?

They are-- yet we're still running 15th in the league right now in terms of differential/game. That's with us starting a 19 year old PG, and our SG rotation entirely comprising of rookies (with the best one having year-long injury woes).

I don't see how we won't be better than 27th next year with Burks returning, and Hood/Ingles/Exum having another year fresh under their belt. Exum will improve. Besides-- we only need him to put up early Shaun Livingston stats (with better three point shooting).

This all highlights how important it is that we nail our backup-center signing. Really, really hope we get Tomic.

Ingles tweeted about how good Tomic's passing was in a recent euroleague game on twitter a couple of days ago.

I'm not buying his suggestions.

I don't think we give up a lottery pick + a young player to get a PG that would send Exum to the bench. Quin and DL seem very high on him. I think he makes a huge leap next season. If we don't, then maybe we have these trade conversations next offseason. But not yet.

I'd bite on a Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green, Khris Middleton, or Danny Green - a true wing who could start at the 3 - and having Burks/Rodney off the bench. But I don't see anyone but Dante starting at PG next season.

You can tell Zach Lowe really likes the Jazz, which is pretty awesome. If we could find a younger JJ Redick, that would be perfect.