What's new

Pick or Trade: Zach Lowe on Jazz Future

I'm not buying his suggestions.

I don't think we give up a lottery pick + a young player to get a PG that would send Exum to the bench. Quin and DL seem very high on him. I think he makes a huge leap next season. If we don't, then maybe we have these trade conversations next offseason. But not yet.

I'd bite on a Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green, Khris Middleton, or Danny Green - a true wing who could start at the 3 - and having Burks/Rodney off the bench. But I don't see anyone but Dante starting at PG next season.

Leonard is not obtainable. 0% chance the Spurs don't match any offer on him.... zero percent.

The other 3 could be possible though.

I see no problems on defense when the opposition goes very small. Booker gets subbed into he game, and the Jazz defense continues to dominate.

The offense is really clogged doe. A highly skilled big would be great.

If we trade the pick it has to be for something pretty good. George Hill would be the minimum. There will be good players available and those guys are locked up for 4 years cheap and if they blow up you can still control their free agency when they are free. With the rising cap these contracts are even cheaper and more valuable.

If we miss on the pick we'd regret it, but for the players we are talking about I don't think I could do it. If we try to skip development steps we may prematurely stick ourselves in mediocre land. The Pelicans did this a couple years ago with the Holiday trade.

I might do #12 for Bradley and the #25 pick from the Celtics if the guys DL likes are gone and we can still get Hunter, RHJ, or Trey Lyles at the 25.

I would strongly consider Hill if DL thinks we are ready. We will likely lose him to FA in a couple years as the cap will rise to $1 B and Dante should/hopefully will be ready.

Never been a fan of Holiday because he seems perpetually unavailable.

Barnes sucks and is due to get overpaid soon. I don't think he really fits a need.

I would much rather package future assets like our 2016 pick and the other 2017 picks to move up and get another blue chip prospect that can have a limited role next year but be ready when we are peaking. Address some of the immediate needs in FA.

Zach Lowe is really good btw.

As much as I like to bag on Burke and Exum, fine going forward with those two at the 1. Exum is a good defender, and Burke can get hot and can score.

History tells us that it's not all that important to have a great point guard to win. It's nice to have, but certainly not necessary. This isn't Jerry Sloan's system anymore either. Our offense isn't built around the 1.

I agree that they are sort of our weak point right now, but they have the potential to improve quite a bit. So, I say stay put at the PG position, unless some great deal for a really good point guard comes available. Otherwise, don't go spending all our assets just to mildly improve the 1.

I'd rather take a chance in another wing if we could. I know it's been talked about a plenty and decided it's impossible, but our focus should be trying to pry away someone like Butler or Leonard. If we offer a few assets, we may be able to get them to sign and trade them to us. I'd be looking for a homerun like that first, then exploring other things.

Other than that, just draft our player, nab a backup center and go forward. We will have a stacked team regardless.

Trade Alec and Trey to LA for Kobe and his monster contract and try to make a run. Draft a SG replacement or let Hood(a Kobe fan) sit and learn under an all time great. Limit Kobe's minutes to about 28 per game.

Exum
Kobe
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

I'm pretty much joking here but I really wouldn't mind it.

For an 11th pick? Me too.

I think Zach Lowe is a year off from making an article of this nature. If we were to miss the playoffs again next year, that's the sort of considerations we would need to be making. At that point in time we'd probably know what we have with Burke, have a better idea of what we have with Exum & Hood, and Hayward + Favors would probably be peaking at that point in time.

In my opinion, you only trade the 11th pick if you can pick up a perimeter defender who can bomb threes better than Elijah Millsap. Otherwise, I'm quite comfortable with a SG rotation of Burks and Hood pending that both stay healthy for most of next year. They complement each other well.

Offseason goals for us are 1) internal development (strength, conditioning, skill); 2) sign backup big (Tomic, Pleiss, or some random journeyman).

I really, really am comfortable with Dante Exum the player. I still expect Burke to make the jump into respectable shooting percentages (#TheExorcism). It would be unwise to go after an FA PG this summer. Next summer makes more sense for re-tooling of this nature.
I agree with all that.
Good job dala

I see no problems on defense when the opposition goes very small. Booker gets subbed into he game, and the Jazz defense continues to dominate.

It has been a bit of an issue in some games. The solution to me is not to sub Booker but to make them pay through Favors post ups and offensive rebounds on the other end. The defense is still okay with Favs chasing perimeter bigs with Rudy in the middle.

When Gallinari was guarding Favs the other night I thought we should force feed him down there.

Please stop with the Butler, Leonard stuff. It ain't happening. We may as well discuss the fit of bringing in KD.

From last night

R5fVym6.gif

Everybody killing it in this thread.... except for the kobe trade/joke.
**** that noise

Seems that we are all in agreement to just roll with what we have and try to get tomic or someone like him as a back up big

He was throwing Hood around a little too causally, dude could be a stud.

I would be all over Burke and #11 for Holiday. Take the chance.

I'd pass on Avery Bradley... not seeing a big difference between him and Cory Joseph. Just bring Joseph in (he'll be cheaper) and keep the pick.

I'm not sure what to think about Holiday. The Pelicans weren't any better with him. He was probably a bad fit, but I don't think I'm comfortable with throwing a bunch of assets at him. He might not make us any better either.

It has been a bit of an issue in some games. The solution to me is not to sub Booker but to make them pay through Favors post ups and offensive rebounds on the other end. The defense is still okay with Favs chasing perimeter bigs with Rudy in the middle.

When Gallinari was guarding Favs the other night I thought we should force feed him down there.

So it seems you agree that the problem is an offensive one. Teams have gone really, really small sometimes and Quin has responded by going with Booker. Some of the best stretches of defense I've witnessed from the Jazz have come when the other team does that. We are just unable to take advantage of anything offensively.

I think we need another wing. A big wing that can stroke it. I like both the Wisconsin guys for this. I am against trading Hood, but upgrading the backup pg spot is a need too. At least to a league-average level guy.

He was throwing Hood around a little too causally, dude could be a stud.

I would be all over Burke and #11 for Holiday. Take the chance.

Agreed... Hood, if healthy, is probably better than whoever we draft at 11 or 12. He's showed he can defend and he can do quite a bit more on offense than I thought.

Jazz get the backup point god of the future when they draft Monte Morris with the 30th pick next season. Fear not, people.

So it seems you agree that the problem is an offensive one. Teams have gone really, really small sometimes and Quin has responded by going with Booker. Some of the best stretches of defense I've witnessed from the Jazz have come when the other team does that. We are just unable to take advantage of anything offensively.

Booker isn't a bad solution and I like him. I am just not a fan of the other team dictating what we do. I like to force our will on to others as much as possible. If they get a couple open 3s we get a few more offensive rebounds or easy post ups.