What's new

Playoff Race Thread

Like if Tech, KO, Sexton etc. net you a first I think DA will move to tank. I think he'd move the JCs for less (and maybe KO)... but if we are playing this well I don't think we sell just to sell.

This season's rookie crop is another reminder that a guy like Collin Sexton is basically the best case scenario for the overwhelming majority of top 10 picks.

Sexton has gotten a lot of crap, and personally, I'm still not a huge fan of his particular brand of basketball (even though I have no problem giving him props for playing very well lately and helping us win). But it's SO hard to become a guy who can give you 20ppg in the NBA in a way that adds value to your team. Scoring is not the be-all and end-all, but looking at some draft prospect and saying he'll "easily be a 20 point scorer in the league" is just dumb.

I'm not sure if Sexton is in Danny's future plans, but the fact is that he's an explosive scorer and those are rare in the NBA. IMO he shouldn't be traded just to trade him, especially not for picks.

This season's rookie crop is another reminder that a guy like Collin Sexton is basically the best case scenario for the overwhelming majority of top 10 picks.

Sexton has gotten a lot of crap, and personally, I'm still not a huge fan of his particular brand of basketball (even though I have no problem giving him props for playing very well lately and helping us win). But it's SO hard to become a guy who can give you 20ppg in the NBA in a way that adds value to your team. Scoring is not the be-all and end-all, but looking at some draft prospect and saying he'll "easily be a 20 point scorer in the league" is just dumb.

I'm not sure if Sexton is in Danny's future plans, but the fact is that he's an explosive scorer and those are rare in the NBA. IMO he shouldn't be traded just to trade him, especially not for picks.

There's no real way to know this, despite what the self-styled experts on forums think. The "terrible" draft where Anthony Bennett was picked first was considered among the weakest ever back then, but it produced a lot of good players, including Giannis.

this part made me lol

I agree here. I really think "Collin is the Julius Randle of Guards" is the hill I will die on. If a smart team uses him well he will provide value but leave you wanting a bit... fine until you have better options.

The reality is that Sexton is an above average 8th overall pick to begin with. Expectations for the draft have always exceeded reality.

We have a really good record and performance in clutch situations. +3 wins over our Pythagorean expectation right now. I think that will come back around on us at some point, but some times it does not. Models are really low on us right now because of our poor point differential. Dunksandthrees has us at about 15% to make the playoffs.

We have a really good record and performance in clutch situations. +3 wins over our Pythagorean expectation right now. I think that will come back around on us at some point, but some times it does not. Models are really low on us right now because of our poor point differential. Dunksandthrees has us at about 15% to make the playoffs.
Doesn't take into account Lauri and Kessler missing a ton of time.

Doesn't take into account Lauri and Kessler missing a ton of time.
Unless DA tinkers or we have a long term injury to one of those two... I think our play in chances are like 50/50.

I don't think I'd goes as low as 15%, but 25% sounds reasonable. I still think GSW, PHX, and LAL should be seen as favorites over us and there's only two spots. Small chance someone above flames out above them, but yeah....it's been an up and down (down and up?) year, but the Jazz are about where I expected them overall and I did not expect them to make it at the beginning of the season.

I don't think I'd goes as low as 15%, but 25% sounds reasonable. I still think GSW, PHX, and LAL should be seen as favorites over us and there's only two spots. Small chance someone above flames out above them, but yeah....it's been an up and down (down and up?) year, but the Jazz are about where I expected them overall and I did not expect them to make it at the beginning of the season.

I guess HOU is in the mix as well to drop. They are being carried by their defense, but their opposing 3FG% is suspiciously low. They could take a dip. 3 spots for 5 teams....hmmm

I'm not so sure. IT will also depend a lot of the coming trade. Some big market have capacity to improve their roster in a fast way. But GSW, PHX or LAL are one star injury away to slip down .
The good point of the season is that it let all options open for DA. In one month from now we will know. If i was GM, i will trade some players like THT and try to add a second ''star player'' to add with Lauri. We are not that far right now from beeing top 3-6 at West.

The last 16 games Jazz are #9 in net rating. Both offense and Defense are pretty close to top 10 in that time.

Its made such a huge difference to be healthy, players in a better role, and guys picking up the system.

Leading the way with that Net rating is Kessler with a whopping +19. #2 is actually THT who was playing well and helping us win before being vanquished, but only played 6 of those games. Next is Clarkson and then the most surprising but great for us is Keyonte. Lauri, Simone, Agbaji, and Dunn are all positive as well. Sexton and Collins are our only negative rotation players. Those two are because the defense rating goes to **** with them. Which makes sense because Collins isnt great at center usually and Sexton isnt a great defender.

Advanced stats are real wonky this year though. The first 20 games or so we so many injuries, a ton of lineup changes, and the team struggling to run the system right. I think the last 16 is more accurate but maybe a bit high because of some hot streaks.

Looking at some of the other advance stuff. In general we need way less pull up threes, we pretty much suck at them. Although I think you need a few of them, but it should be cut back. We are excellent on spot of threes and a few guys need to shoot them more like KO. We are excellent on drives with our main guys, but Lauri needs more of them. We also need a few more pick and rolls in general. I wouldn't mind seeing Lauri try to be the ball handler in a couple of these a game. He can drive well and his passing needs to be used more. I am a little concerned about Lauri getting worn down though. He runs the most miles per game by a decent amount on both ends of the court. Sometimes that is his strength and really opens things up for us with the movement but his health is always a bit of a concern in his career.

The vibes are so awful for GSW and LAL that I would favor the Jazz if both sides make no moves. I believe PHX will figure it out. The media isnt as loud over there, so I would assume the vibes arent as negative as it seems for the other two.

The vibes are so awful for GSW and LAL that I would favor the Jazz if both sides make no moves. I believe PHX will figure it out. The media isnt as loud over there, so I would assume the vibes arent as negative as it seems for the other two.

Vibes were awful for us like two weeks ago. Things change quickly, we’re only have way through. It will be up and down for the second half of the season just as the first half was.

Vibes were awful for us like two weeks ago. Things change quickly, we’re only have way through. It will be up and down for the second half of the season just as the first half was.
How were the vibes awful? I didnt hear any quotes from the team that would suggest that.

Lebron is talking about how Bronny could play for the Lakers now and how much the Lakers suck.

Draymond exist for the Warriors and their veteran rookie contract guys want to throw a munity on a multi-time championship coach.