What's new

Playoff Race Thread

This is the depth I expected to punish teams in the regular season showing up lately. We have a really deep team. When you have starting quality guys in Keyonte, Clarkson, KO, and Kessler coming off the bench that will lead to a lot of wins. Even Agbaji especially lately is a starter level guy with his Defense and hopefully the 3 starts landing again.

We are 2.5 games behind the 5th seed right now! I would love to secure a playoff spot out right.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting trade deadline before getting too optimistic. Some teams have the capacity to attract star players and it may change the second part of the season.

I'm still waiting trade deadline before getting too optimistic. Some teams have the capacity to attract star players and it may change the second part of the season.
Who cares if GSW or Lakers go on a late run? We are not looking downwards at all, we are looking up towards that group of Kings, Pels and Mavs and hoping to crash that party.

We have the best form in the NBA in last 10 (9-1) and last 15 (12-3). We are also not winning bad teams by small margins, we are winning against good teams with double digit margins. We made the Bucks and Nuggets looks like non-contenders.

Time to swich channels and watch future champions in action instead of that team of former Jazz greats in Minnesota.

This is the depth I expected to punish teams in the regular season showing up lately. We have a really deep team. When you have starting quality guys in Keyonte, Clarkson, KO, and Kessler that will lead to a lot of wins. Even Agbaji especially lately is a starter level guy with his Defense and hopefully the 3 starts landing again.

We are 2.5 games behind the 5th seed right now! I would love to secure a playoff spot out right.
A team of Kessler, KO, Ochai, Clarkson and George would probably end up above the Pistons, Wizards and Spurs by themselves.

Great video that actually breaks down some of our favourite offensive actions:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnYfIeArDHQ

I had to watch on mute, so I apologize if I’m just regurgitating something the vid said…

Kessler’s development as a cutter is pretty huge for us. Because of Lauri’s ability to bend defenses, and the fact that we have enough shooting threats, he’s able to spread out beyond the dunker’s spot and time his cuts into a defense that’s distracted by other things.

I had to watch on mute, so I apologize if I’m just regurgitating something the vid said…

Kessler’s development as a cutter is pretty huge for us. Because of Lauri’s ability to bend defenses, and the fact that we have enough shooting threats, he’s able to spread out beyond the dunker’s spot and time his cuts into a defense that’s distracted by other things.
Not entirely same. But the guy in that video also explains how we rotate someone to Kessler's corner (Fontecchio on a lot of the examples) to provide another option for the ball handler, who is dribble penetrating from the other side. So they can either shoot, lob/pass to Kessler, or kick out to the weak side corner based on the read and how well the defense follows all those motions.

So the "Kessler camping at the corner" has just so much more to it than just him taking some occasional corner 3s, or him "trying to space the court".

I think Walker is also not the best vertical athlete so having him on the move to the dunkers spot allows him to... well... dunk.

The start to the season was so damn rough I questioned almost everything... it is nice to get everything back on track.

So young teams tend to lose more than win with 3 exceptions and old teams tend to win more than lose with 2 exceptions.

MAN does it feel good to be one of the young exceptions. Future is ours!
The Jazz also dont play some of their youngest guys, so it's a bit skewed compared to the other young teams.

Toronto really botched things, man.
Its part of why I appreciate Ainge so much. You'd rather tear it down a year early than a year too late. Toronto letting Lowry get away with little value coming back, FVV with no returning value, trading a pick for the right to pay Jakob Poeltl... Kawhi leaving for nothing was understandable obviously... but they would have crushed in a rebuild if they had done it at the right time. Pascal now will get 50 cents on the dollar.

The Jazz are young, but their starting lineup is 29/25/28/26/26

Compared to a truly young team like Orlando who's entire starting lineup is under 25.

The Jazz are young, but their starting lineup is 29/25/28/26/26

Compared to a truly young team like Orlando who's entire starting lineup is under 25.

Things that don't guarantee winning in the NBA:

- youth
- cap space
- picks
- tanking
- a dude who may be a #1 pick two years from now

Things that guarantee winning in the NBA:

- scoring more than the other team

Last edited:
Athletic (Zach Harper) ranked us #16 in "Play-in or better" -tier with Suns and Magic.
The in-season turnaround for the Jazz has been truly baffling. Will Hardy found the right combination for the starting lineups and the rotation. It’s turned them from a team that needed to send out its veterans to a team that has a real chance at making the top-six in the West. That’s how good they’ve been the last 19 games. The Jazz will clear that over and probably not making any major roster changes. And even if they do, they might have the depth to keep this going and still make the Play-In Tournament.

NBA.com staff ranked us even higher at 15th in their yesterdays power rankings.

We have a really good record and performance in clutch situations. +3 wins over our Pythagorean expectation right now. I think that will come back around on us at some point, but some times it does not. Models are really low on us right now because of our poor point differential. Dunksandthrees has us at about 15% to make the playoffs.

Recent domination+pathetic GSW&LAL has the model giving us 55%

Thi

Things that don't guarantee winning in the NBA:

- youth
- cap space
- picks
- tanking
- a dude who may be a #1 pick two years from now

Things that guarantee winning in the NBA:

- scoring more than the other team
You can also make the opposing team score less than you do and be successful.