Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Playstation 4

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Don't know yet

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Don't care. Not a gamer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
With current-gen games, some ran better on PS3 and others ran better on 360; I expect the same will be the case next gen. But I don't think anyone knows anything right now about the performance of different individual games cross-platform. We'll just have to wait for the consoles and the games to come out.

I wanted to pre-order, but looks like I'd better wait a while before doing so???

I wanted to pre-order, but looks like I'd better wait a while before doing so???

If the performance of one specific game is really important to you, then yeah, I would wait. I myself am in no great rush to buy next-gen when there's still great stuff coming out current-gen. Heck, most sports games, including NBA2K14, are coming out for both current-gen and next-gen anyway.

On the other hand, differences in performance between platforms are usually small. There are occasional exceptions where there's a big difference (e.g. Skyrim or Bayonetta), but as far as I can recall this has never been the case with a sports game.

If the performance of one specific game is really important to you, then yeah, I would wait. I myself am in no great rush to buy next-gen when there's still great stuff coming out current-gen. Heck, most sports games, including NBA2K14, are coming out for both current-gen and next-gen anyway.

On the other hand, differences in performance between platforms are usually small. There are occasional exceptions where there's a big difference (e.g. Skyrim or Bayonetta), but as far as I can recall this has never been the case with a sports game.

With Skyrim you may be able to tell the difference between them with screenshots on a computer screen because your face is so close to it but on a couch on a large tv virtually none. Except the load times.

Even though they reversed their stupid decisions, xbox lost me as a customer by wanting to implement them in the first place, though I could see myself getting one years later if a game franchise I love is exclusive to it. Thankfully none I know of as of now are.

Even though they reversed their stupid decisions, xbox lost me as a customer by wanting to implement them in the first place, though I could see myself getting one years later if a game franchise I love is exclusive to it. Thankfully none I know of as of now are.

This.

With Skyrim you may be able to tell the difference between them with screenshots on a computer screen because your face is so close to it but on a couch on a large tv virtually none. Except the load times.

But you're talking about graphics only. If that was the only issue, it wouldn't really matter. But Skyrim had serious game breaking stuff happening having to do with the increasing size of save files and the PS3's different structure for system memory. The longer you played the bigger your save file became, the more the game slowed down, and the more the game would just keep freezing until the whole thing became unplayable. In fact, Bethesda was initially unable to release the first expansion for Skyrim on the PS3 because they couldn't make it work without making these issues even worse (it took them eight months after the release of the first DLC for the Xbox version to release the first DLC for the PS3 version, purely due to the performance issues the PS3 was experiencing). Worth noting too that Bethesda never sent PS3 copies of the game to critics for review, as is standard practice these days -- they were withholding it from the critics because they knew there were serious issues with it that the Xbox version didn't have.

All of this is just to say again that there is the occasional game that has serious problems on one platform and runs well on the other. But truly, these cases are rare. 98% of the time differences are minor, and would probably only be noticed by doing side-by-side comparisons. Moreover, I expect these rare cases to be even rarer next-gen, as the system architecture for both consoles is more similar than ever.

But you're talking about graphics only. If that was the only issue, it wouldn't really matter. But Skyrim had serious game breaking stuff happening having to do with the increasing size of save files and the PS3's different structure for system memory. The longer you played the bigger your save file became, the more the game slowed down, and the more the game would just keep freezing until the whole thing became unplayable. In fact, Bethesda was initially unable to release the first expansion for Skyrim on the PS3 because they couldn't make it work without making these issues even worse (it took them eight months after the release of the first DLC for the Xbox version to release the first DLC for the PS3 version, purely due to the performance issues the PS3 was experiencing). Worth noting too that Bethesda never sent PS3 copies of the game to critics for review, as is standard practice these days -- they were withholding it from the critics because they knew there were serious issues with it that the Xbox version didn't have.

All of this is just to say again that there is the occasional game that has serious problems on one platform and runs well on the other. But truly, these cases are rare. 98% of the time differences are minor, and would probably only be noticed by doing side-by-side comparisons. Moreover, I expect these rare cases to be even rarer next-gen, as the system architecture for both consoles is more similar than ever.

Thanks I didn't know about the save file thing.