What's new

Police shoots another unarmed black man for no reason.

I watched several videos yesterday. Just seems absolutely inexcusable. The police officer's attorney is saying she felt threatened. Claims he was reaching inside the driver side window with his left hand. Pretty sure none of the angles really let you see that, if in fact it happened. At first I believe she was heard saying that he was not putting his hands up, yet the video makes it clear he has his hands up. I think the one comment I heard, spoken by one of the cops in the helicopter, and which went up my butt sideways was "looks like a bad dude." What the hell is that supposed to mean?! Guy with 4 kids, on his way home from school, car breaks down, and "he looks like a bad dude." Damn....

Yep. "looks like a bad dude" is Tulsa police code for "looks black while breathing".

Looks terrible. Does anyone know why his car was in the oncoming lane? Seems like if it's a breakdown situation he would have pulled to the side of the road. Also, why would the police direct him to put his hands up on his own vehicle? Seems like they should have directed him toward the hood of one of their cruisers where there is no risk that he could be trying to grab a weapon.

Looks terrible. Does anyone know why his car was in the oncoming lane? Seems like if it's a breakdown situation he would have pulled to the side of the road. Also, why would the police direct him to put his hands up on his own vehicle? Seems like they should have directed him toward the hood of one of their cruisers where there is no risk that he could be trying to grab a weapon.

I don't believe they wanted him walking to his own vehicle at all. Which may explain why one said he was not following police orders.

The first video at this link includes a description of the three constitutionally valid reasons that the police could have used deadly force, and the reasons why they did not apply in this instance:

https://www.newson6.com/story/33129...lds-news-conference-to-address-fatal-shooting

I bet she panicked and accidentally pulled the trigger when the other officer launched the taser.

If thats what happened she can't say that because that's basically the worst thing an officer could do. It's better for her to claim she felt threatened and needed to shoot him, which makes no sense from the video.

I bet she panicked and accidentally pulled the trigger when the other officer launched the taser.

I wonder if she accidentally pulled her firearm instead of a taser.

A bit of a more out there possibility is the guy was claiming to have an bomb. That would explain the officers backing up afterward.

I'll wait for the details to come out before going MVP, but this one does look pretty bad.

I think we really need some clarity in regard to "Officer Commands." It needs to be clear when police a requesting you do something and when they are giving you a legally binding order to do something. The problem is that they often give commands that are not legally binding, but they give them as if they are. So they need to absolutely stop doing that. If you are not legally required to do what they say they need to phrase it as such. If you ARE required to do what they say they need to phrase it as such.

I think the guy was acting erratically. Maybe he had a mental disorder or was dealing with some sort of other issue. I mean, he stops his SUV right in the middle of the road and runs away from it while it's still running and the doors are open. Someone said he said the car was going to blow up? Maybe he's just really dumb and thinks cars do like they do in the movies and sometimes just blow up. So maybe he had some weird engine noises or something and thought his car was about to explode so he was panicked? He put his hands up but he continued acting strange and went back to his SUV when he was being told to stop.

I'm not saying there was ever a moment when lethal force was justified. I don't even think the taser was justified (tasers can and have killed people). It's another example of cops being a little too twitchy with the trigger finger. Like everybody is just about to pull out a hidden weapon and kill them?

If thats what happened she can't say that because that's basically the worst thing an officer could do. It's better for her to claim she felt threatened and needed to shoot him, which makes no sense from the video.
This seems like a reasonable possibility. Pure speculation, but to me the most likely reason she pulled the trigger is that she mistook the sound of the taser going off and the sudden movement of the suspects body as a result for an attempt by the suspect to fire a weapon.

I wonder if she accidentally pulled her firearm instead of a taser.

A bit of a more out there possibility is the guy was claiming to have an bomb. That would explain the officers backing up afterward.

I'll wait for the details to come out before going MVP, but this one does look pretty bad.

Fruitvale Station 2.0.

This seems like a reasonable possibility. Pure speculation, but to me the most likely reason she pulled the trigger is that she mistook the sound of the taser going off and the sudden movement of the suspects body as a result for an attempt by the suspect to fire a weapon.

Yup, something along these lines is very likely IMO.

And yes, I am more likely to believe she panicked and accidentally did this because she is a woman.

#SorryNotSorry

I think we really need some clarity in regard to "Officer Commands." It needs to be clear when police a requesting you do something and when they are giving you a legally binding order to do something. The problem is that they often give commands that are not legally binding, but they give them as if they are. So they need to absolutely stop doing that. If you are not legally required to do what they say they need to phrase it as such. If you ARE required to do what they say they need to phrase it as such.

I think the guy was acting erratically. Maybe he had a mental disorder or was dealing with some sort of other issue. I mean, he stops his SUV right in the middle of the road and runs away from it while it's still running and the doors are open. Someone said he said the car was going to blow up? Maybe he's just really dumb and thinks cars do like they do in the movies and sometimes just blow up. So maybe he had some weird engine noises or something and thought his car was about to explode so he was panicked? He put his hands up but he continued acting strange and went back to his SUV when he was being told to stop.

I'm not saying there was ever a moment when lethal force was justified. I don't even think the taser was justified (tasers can and have killed people). It's another example of cops being a little too twitchy with the trigger finger. Like everybody is just about to pull out a hidden weapon and kill them?

Or they could just have a meeting?

All right guys today we need to talk about a srs subject. Youtube. Some of you guys may have heard of it, if you haven't that's ok. The short story is that because of youtube we can't shoot black people just because they look scary anymore. They gotta have a gun or be trying to stab someone or somethin like that. Any questions?

What if he's wearing a hoodie and we're pretty sure he has a gang tattoo hiding under it?

Nope, he needs to have a weapon or be a clear threat.

Yeah but...we can always put a gun on him if he happens to not be carrying that day. That's what I would do.

No guys I'm serious, youtube makes that too risky to do anymore. We gotta treat them as if they're white.

but they're not white chief. You're not makin any sense.

Here is a situation where police could have shot the crazy suspect but yet they tackled her and nobody got killed. That's how police should handle most of these situations instead of being so trigger happy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...uck-trying-carjack-police-cruiser-arrest.html

That is how most of these situations are handled, across the nation, multiple times on a daily basis. They just don't get the publicity and headlines that questionable or shootings that appear unjustified do.

This whole situation seems like it was handled poorly.
Why did they let him walk back to vehicle.
Why did they all follow him back to vehicle.
Why did they not make him come back to them and make him get on the ground.
If they are letting him go back to vehicle keep your distance till you know what he is going to do.
Why did they have so many cops on scene like it was an extremely risky call.
This one will be very hard to justify.
What a mess.

Will the country be in an outrage over this similar to the outrage over Kaepernick's protests?

That is how most of these situations are handled, across the nation, multiple times on a daily basis. They just don't get the publicity and headlines that questionable or shootings that appear unjustified do.

As a cop (I believe you are anyway, if memory serves), I'm curious what you think about the couple handfuls of higher profile incidents that have occurred over the last few years, on a case-by-case basis.