What's new

Poll: Should the Jazz Match Hayward's $15.75 a year/4 year Contract?

Should They Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just voted yes to the match. I've struggled with the idea of matching a max offer to G-Time, but I've finally come around. Obviously, not the popular opinion, but here's the thought process on what tipped my opinion in Gordo's favor:

-Tyrone Corbin and his staff were HORRIBLE at player development. I can honestly say that Hayward (as well as others) were held back from reaching their full potential under Corbin. Now, that's not to say that I think Hayward can be a 25/8/8 player, but I do think it's realistic to say that with the proper player develpment staff in place, he still has yet to hit his ceiling.

-It sounds like the offer sheet includes a player opt out in year 4. If Hayward under performs, he'd most assuredly opt in for year 4, but that gives the Jazz an expiring deal to possibly move. Not only that, but if 3 years down the road, Utah is making a push towards contention and they find themselves unable to move an under performing Hayward, I could see the Miller family agreeing to an amnesty if it meant the move would result in Utah adding a player that made us legit contenders.

-Lindsay is a smart man. I do believe he will be able to find a way to jettison Hayward if need be in order to keep other key cogs in place (Exum, Burke, etc).

-I'm of the firm belief that on a very talented team, Hayward is that much more valuable of a player. He does a lot of things that can affect the outcome of a game. If Favors continues to improve, Exum turns out to be all that we dreamed of, and Burke solidifies himself, I see Hayward improving greatly as a guy who is no longer the main focus of opposing teams scouting reports.

Flame away, but I match the contract. I don't think Hayward has hit his ceiling and if Snyder lives up to his rep as a player development guru, this contract doesn't look so bad 2 or 3 years down the road.

Flame on.

My thoughts....

1. I am unsure if Hayward wants to be here.....
2. Makes 0 sense to match since it is being reported that there are
a. Player option for year 4
b. 15% trade penalty

Per Locke, we will not be in the playoffs for at least 3 years.

With all this data, as much as I like Hayward and I do applaud him for getting MAX, Jazz need to say no at midnight on 7.10.14. (

The reason I do not wait 3 days to dick the hornets is so we can pursue someone else.....

This story amuses me..

Hayward --> Favors at 1st practice (assuming Jazz match) .... "Fav...your agent sucks, you should have had a set of balls like I did". Favors would have EASILY gotten MAX this summer. That would have been more for him as a #3 pick.

My thoughts....

b. 15% trade penalty

With all this data, as much as I like Hayward and I do applaud him for getting MAX, Jazz need to say no at midnight on 7.10.14. (

The reason I do not wait 3 days to dick the hornets is so we can pursue someone else.....

This.

Clearly Favors wants to be here by opting in for that $12m extension last Summer. Can't say the same about Hayward. Seems to me like he wants to bolt the first chance he gets.

1) I can see why Charlotte values Gordon so much. They lack playmaking, which Gordon delivers and spacing, an area in which Gordon potentially can be elite, but has been shaky so far.
I don't see the Jazz being able to benefit to the max from Gordon's skills.

2) I think he should be matched. Is massive overpay for the Jazz, but until after year 3 you won't get free agents anyways. I don't expect Exum to be able to recruit before he makes an all star team and earliest time for that is year 3. Also 2016 is the next big free agency hunt with KD. So Gordon's opt out in 2017 will be closer to the value because teams won't save cap room for that summer. Also first year after new TV contract = seizable salary cap boost inc. So if Gordon opts out, he will be offered market value and you can extend Exum early, while also bidding on remaining free agents.

3) Gordon's big payments in the first years are only bad for the Jazz to take on additional cap space rental contracts.

Hopefully the Jazz can work a sign-and-trade. If not, there's really no point watching this team for the next 4 years.

My thoughts....

b. 15% trade penalty

apparently they have not done enough lately, so their faults been forgotten

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?16756-Professional-Tank&p=595195&viewfull=1#post595195

I don't like the "Hayward doesn't want to be here" argument. He turned down the Jazz's offer last season because he thought he could get more. He was right. I'm sure Hayward will feel just fine playing in Utah or Charlotte with that salary.

Anyone who thinks the Jazz will be hurt financially by this and wont have any space in the coming years are ignorant and don't know what they're talking about.

On the surface it seems fine. We have a ton of cap space and the cap number is supposedly going up a lot starting in a few years. But if we match, re-signing Burks becomes next to impossible imo. Do we really think Burks will accept a 4 year/36M extension at 9M per? Do we think Burks is going to believe that Hayward is worth almost twice as much as he is? Or that he should just hit the market and command as close to Hayward's number as possible since he may believe, and I don't blame him, that he's just as good a player as Hayward, if not better? I believe the latter will be the case.

Yes, we have the cap space and the cap's going to go up. But matching will set a bad precedent imo and it's one we won't be able to retract and pretend didn't happen.

Michael Jordan was always a bit of an idiot in assessing talent properly.

BsFA9uRCIAACVVU.jpg

On the surface it seems fine. We have a ton of cap space and the cap number is supposedly going up a lot starting in a few years. But if we match, re-signing Burks becomes next to impossible imo. Do we really think Burks will accept a 4 year/36M extension at 9M per? Do we think Burks is going to believe that Hayward is worth almost twice as much as he is? Or that he should just hit the market and command as close to Hayward's number as possible since he may believe, and I don't blame him, that he's just as good a player as Hayward, if not better? I believe the latter will be the case.

Yes, we have the cap space and the cap's going to go up. But matching will set a bad precedent imo and it's one we won't be able to retract and pretend didn't happen.

Doesn't matter what he accepts. He's free to work the market and bait someone else to offer him a ****load. A lot of teams won't have too much cap space next year, because LeBron and Melo are already off the market then. Same with Chris Bosh. Kevin Love still has the potential to get traded and exercise his option next year or signalize his willingness to sign an extension with the team trading for him.

Are our only options only to match or not match, or can we throw a 5 year, 68M offer at him?

If we can, I would strongly consider doing the latter. 13.6M is almost tolerable and not so much that's going to kill us imo. Maybe he'd take it too. 5M more is 5M more and for all we know, he wants to stay.

Doesn't matter what he accepts. He's free to work the market and bait someone else to offer him a ****load. A lot of teams won't have too much cap space next year, because LeBron and Melo are already off the market then. Same with Chris Bosh. Kevin Love still has the potential to get traded and exercise his option next year or signalize his willingness to sign an extension with the team trading for him.

What is your point in reference to my post?

I'm far from a Locke fan boy, but this is spot on:
If the Jazz let Hayward walk what else would they do with that money? The Jazz wouldn’t be able to get a comparable player in the marketplace. Signing a veteran on a re-building team in Salt Lake City is impossible and trying to find another player of Hayward’s ability at 24 years old is nearly impossible.

The Jazz value Gordon Hayward as a player. He is a special talent. Not many players in this league can average 15-6-6 like Hayward can and if you look at almost all great teams have a playmaking wing.

This is minor but the increases on the contract are only for 4.5% each season and cap is expected to grow each year at higher than that rate so Hayward will be less of the cap each season of the deal.

Let’s make sure we remember Hayward is our best player. You can’t lose your best player.

Whatever goes down, remember this: Lindsay is a better GM than anybody on this board.

What is your point in reference to my post?

Let me simplify it for you:

Burks: "Yo Lindsay Gordon got $15.75M annually, I want at least 13!"
Lindsay: "I don't care, get someone to sign you to that amount."
Burks Agent: "None has that amount of cap space and wants to invest that much into you"
Burks: "OK $9M annually it is, but I'm a sad panda now"

Oh Jesus, give me a break. Locke's such a freakin' hack. Yeah, he's such a special talent that he shot, what, 40%, 30% last year? He's such a special talent that he couldn't hit the ****ing ocean on any big three point shot where there wasn't a defender within five feet of him. He's such a special talent that he has as much leadership and cajones in him as the banana I just ate for breakfast. Locke can eat a big, fat dick and take off on the horse that Gordo rides out on.

Are our only options only to match or not match, or can we throw a 5 year, 68M offer at him?

If we can, I would strongly consider doing the latter. 13.6M is almost tolerable and not so much that's going to kill us imo. Maybe he'd take it too. 5M more is 5M more and for all we know, he wants to stay.
1. Why would Hayward accept that? It's unlikely he's worth less than $5mm on a one year deal 4 years from now.

2. Per a previous post of yours, the Jazz will have no trouble re-signing Burks and/or Kanter. They'll have plenty of space under the LT, and both players will be restricted (Larry Bird) free agents.

3. The Jazz can still try to sign Hayward to a contract OR work on a sign-and-trade. He'll likely sign that offer sheet at midnight though. DL needs to get busy.

Let me simplify it for you:

Burks: "Yo Lindsay Gordon got $15.75M annually, I want at least 13!"
Lindsay: "I don't care, get someone to sign you to that amount."
Burks Agent: "None has that amount of cap space and wants to invest that much into you"
Burks: "OK $9M annually it is, but I'm a sad panda now"

Enough teams likely will have enough cap space next summer.