What's new

Poll: Should the Jazz Match Hayward's $15.75 a year/4 year Contract?

Should They Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nate505

Modstapo Lite
Staff member
Give your reasoning here or in the other titanic thread about this. Or not.

Sure they will, but if they do, I may not stop at discontinuing my dish, I may even not listen to the radio either. Why listen to a team that is dead in the water because they paid a guy upwards of five million extra because he's a 'good guy'. Sure he's talented. Ten mil is about where his value is, and that's taking into account the stupid culture of the NBA. But failing to match this contract would ensure that one more team wouldn't be a threat to the Jazz because they overpaid him.

Anyone who thinks the Jazz will be hurt financially by this and wont have any space in the coming years are ignorant and don't know what they're talking about.

he does not deserve a contract that much, so if Burks and Kanter play their best way in their contract season, we gotta give the key of the organization or SLC to them?

let's have burks at the 3 where i thought he might play his rookie year.

and maybe ariza/parsons

Anyone who thinks the Jazz will be hurt financially by this and wont have any space in the coming years are ignorant and don't know what they're talking about.
Hmm, seems you are calling me ignorant. Nah, I can just do basic math, as I demonstrated. The more you pay your role players the less you have available for the difference makers. Hayward has not shown the type of foundation to be a max money player, he is too inconsistent and melted under pressure. He doesn't have the type of 'it' to be the max player on the team, yet he has been offered a max contract. I have watched team after team go way into the luxury tax and lose their flexibility paying max contracts to role players or washed up veterans. The way the new CBA is designed teams really have to pay large sums of money to a select few players and close to mid level deals to the rest of the team. Hayward is talented but he isn't one of those guys, yet he is getting paid like one. If the Jazz match they will run out of money before they have a championship team. The only other option is to somehow keep all of those guys I listed with mid level contracts except for Exum and Favors, which seems unlikely, more likely we keep Hayward and lose Kanter, Burks, Trey, and posibly GoBear. Thanks Hayward, way to destroy the team.

Hayward is a 4th best player on a Championship team.

So NO - we cannot pay him MAX for that kind of production.

Well OK. Way for being the minority again, me. I voted Yup, because I think Hayward performed inconsistent but highly promising last year, given the stressful responsibility level he has been burdened with, and I strongly believe he still has way to reach his ceiling and that will be done by him being more consistent and finding his necessities in his long-term team Utah Jazz.

Struggled as Utah's go to scorer in the half court.

18.2 pts. per 40 pace adjusted, 15th among small forwards that played 30+ minutes.

45.3 2 pt. percentage, 24th among 29 small forwards that played 30+ minutes.

Average 1st step.

Struggles to turn the corner.

Limited shake.

Average finisher around the rim - 48.1%

Solid athlete but lacks explosiveness around the rim.

Doesn't handle contact all that well.

In two of six years he shot poorly from the 3 pt. line. (2009 -29% and 2014 - 30%)

Really struggled in catch and shot situations.

Lacks the athleticism, strength and length to guard small forwards.

Foot speed is average.

Unable to bother jump shooters due to his short wing span. Below average wingspan - 6ft. 7 3/4in. Doesn't bother jump shooters is a major defensive liability.

Has issues against quick wings. (Not great lateral speed)

Gets taken advantage of by strong wings. (Unable to wall off and contain in the paint)

OK with all the above who wants Hayward on a max contract?

Not worth it for a SUPPORT player, thats all he'll ever be at best maybe a third option

the Jazz will be hurt financially by this and wont have any space in the coming years