What's new

Post Your Jazz Rotation

SoberasHotRod

This isn't for what you think will happen, but what you hope happens. If you were Will Hardy what would your rotation look like on Game 1 (assuming no trades). Use whatever format with as little or as much detail as you would like.

Last edited:
I think I would go with Sexton/Clarkson/Lauri/KO/Kessler to start. Dunn and Collins would be the first off the bench subbing for Sexton and KO. Agbaji would be the next sub for Clarkson, and then I would finish the first quarter/start the second quarter by bringing KO back for Kessler, and bringing George and Hendricks for a George, Agbaji, Hendricks, Collins, KO lineup. I would close with Dunn, Clarkson, Lauri, KO, Kessler.

Training camp would determine backup point guard between Dunn and THT. Especially with his injury recovery and also because I don’t really like him, Brice would start the year in the G-League until he shows he’s ready for a shot in the rotation.

Minute Distribution Could be:

PG: Sexton 22 Dunn 16 George 10

SG: Clarkson 34 Agbaji 14

SF: Lauri 36 Hendricks 8 Agbaji 4

PF: KO 18 Collins 28 Hendricks 2

C: Kessler 36 KO 12

NOTE: KO gets so many minutes because he makes so many of these lineups work with his passing

Too much of what I’d “hope” would happen would depend on the goals. My “hope” would be parlaying a few guys into something else, so that’s going to look different than my “win now” rotation. But I’d like to prioritize some development so here’s a rough sketch of what if like to see:

Dunn 20 / Sexton 28

JC 30 / George 18 with ability to move up and cut into everyone else above

Lauri 34 (minutes come from other positions) / Hendricks 20-25 mpg (minutes from elsewhere like Lauri)

JC 30 or more depending.

Kessler 30

I know I’m missing some guys but that’s about what I’d be focused on.

Whenever I think about this, I try to put together a rotation "plan" because sometimes you write down the minutes and it doesn't work in actuality with realistic sub patters. Here's what I came to after messing around a little bit. Kind of a blend of what I want to happen and what is realistic to happen. If it was totally up to me, I'd probably play George instead of Dunn knowing that would cost us wins. But if I was going to try to maximize wins I'd actually think about starting Dunn and giving him more of the Sexton minutes.

1692645815607.png

Too much of what I’d “hope” would happen would depend on the goals. My “hope” would be parlaying a few guys into something else, so that’s going to look different than my “win now” rotation. But I’d like to prioritize some development so here’s a rough sketch of what if like to see:

Dunn 20 / Sexton 28

JC 30 / George 18 with ability to move up and cut into everyone else above

Lauri 34 (minutes come from other positions) / Hendricks 20-25 mpg (minutes from elsewhere like Lauri)

JC 30 or more depending.

Kessler 30

I know I’m missing some guys but that’s about what I’d be focused on.

It would be pretty great if George and Hendricks were ready for this many minutes from day 1, but it doesn't seem likely.

Do you see George as SG or is that just where you think it makes sense for him to fit in our rotation?

Whenever I think about this, I try to put together a rotation "plan" because sometimes you write down the minutes and it doesn't work in actuality with realistic sub patters. Here's what I came to after messing around a little bit. Kind of a blend of what I want to happen and what is realistic to happen. If it was totally up to me, I'd probably play George instead of Dunn knowing that would cost us wins. But if I was going to try to maximize wins I'd actually think about starting Dunn and giving him more of the Sexton minutes.

View attachment 15013

I have a similar spreadsheet, maybe I even got it from you last year. Pretty handy.

I think/hope that George is so good that you can't not include him as part of the rotation.

It would be pretty great if George and Hendricks were ready for this many minutes from day 1, but it doesn't seem likely.

Do you see George as SG or is that just where you think it makes sense for him to fit in our rotation?
More of fitting him somewhere. Between Dunn and Sexton they both eat up a lot of minutes (in reality). I know it’s not likely both guys get that many minutes but still what I would like to see. There’s always this “nuanced, expertise” view of why you don’t do it but it’s just appealing to a worldview and further appealing to a general idea and sentiment of becoming more constrained as one becomes more expert. It’s been good to see a lot of that at of thinking has diminished. I remember when three point shooting was a novelty and we laughed at the idea of guys like Raef LaFrentz shooting the three ball. It was childish and unsophisticated.

I have a similar spreadsheet, maybe I even got it from you last year. Pretty handy.

I think/hope that George is so good that you can't not include him as part of the rotation.

Yeah, that would be great for us....I do think it's fairly unlikely that both rookies start in the rotation. I like what the Jazz did this summer and I'm optimistic about the future, but just looking at the West I think it will be hard for us to even get into the play in game. So if it was truly my choice and my choice only I'd just eat the few extra L's and start both of them in the rotation right away. It's not fun to stay in place, but realistically I think that's what the Jazz should expect this upcoming season.

If we aren't a top 5/6 team in the west and Key and Hendricks aren't getting rotation minutes by game like 25... then WTF are we doing?

Every time I do one of these mental exercises that is the re-occurring thought that hits me.

I think I would go with Sexton/Clarkson/Lauri/KO/Kessler to start. Dunn and Collins would be the first off the bench subbing for Sexton and KO. Agbaji would be the next sub for Clarkson, and then I would finish the first quarter/start the second quarter by bringing KO back for Kessler, and bringing George and Hendricks for a George, Agbaji, Hendricks, Collins, KO lineup. I would close with Dunn, Clarkson, Lauri, KO, Kessler.

Training camp would determine backup point guard between Dunn and THT. Especially with his injury recovery and also because I don’t really like him, Brice would start the year in the G-League until he shows he’s ready for a shot in the rotation.

Minute Distribution Could be:

PG: Sexton 22 Dunn 16 George 10

SG: Clarkson 34 Agbaji 14

SF: Lauri 36 Hendricks 8 Agbaji 4

PF: KO 18 Collins 28 Hendricks 2

C: Kessler 36 KO 12

NOTE: KO gets so many minutes because he makes so many of these lineups work with his passing

Sexton and Clarkson in the starting lineup together is madness. Clarkson is a right down the line gunner and should be coming off the bench. Sexton’s style is more suited to start regardless of position it should be Sexton and Agbaji starting in the backcourt together. Agbaji needs time to grow into a good 3&D guard so the jazz need to commit to him so he can develop. Yes, I see a scenario in which the jazz could make the playoffs this year. But even so, we aren’t contending. The jazz should be all about development this year.

If we aren't a top 5/6 team in the west and Key and Hendricks aren't getting rotation minutes by game like 25... then WTF are we doing?

Every time I do one of these mental exercises that is the re-occurring thought that hits me.

I think there are different development paths that make sense for different players. I think it worked out for Agbaji to spend some time in the G-League, for example, but would agree the vast majority of the time the best development will be getting rotation minutes.

I've mentioned this before, but I would always try to get my rookies 5-10 rotation minutes early in the season and then back those minutes off or increase them as the rookies seem ready for them. I'm a believer in not giving rookies too much too soon is best for their development.

Sexton and Clarkson in the starting lineup together is madness. Clarkson is a right down the line gunner and should be coming off the bench. Sexton’s style is more suited to start regardless of position it should be Sexton and Agbaji starting in the backcourt together. Agbaji needs time to grow into a good 3&D guard so the jazz need to commit to him so he can develop. Yes, I see a scenario in which the jazz could make the playoffs this year. But even so, we aren’t contending. The jazz should be all about development this year.

Yeah, I really don't love the Sexton/Clarkson backcourt, especially against starters, but it's really hard to put together a full rotation and that was the compromise I made.

I would go
PG: Dunn 20 minutes. Sexton 28 minutes.
SG: clarkson 30 minutes. Ochai 18 minutes.
Small forward: lauri 35 minutes. Hendricks 13 minutes woth a little bryce sprinkled in.
Power forward: Collins 30 minutes. Hendricks gets the bulk of the backup power forward minutes with a bit of KO sprinkled in and of course lauri would play some 4 too.
Center: Kessler 33 minutes. KO 15 minutes.

I think there are different development paths that make sense for different players. I think it worked out for Agbaji to spend some time in the G-League, for example, but would agree the vast majority of the time the best development will be getting rotation minutes.

I've mentioned this before, but I would always try to get my rookies 5-10 rotation minutes early in the season and then back those minutes off or increase them as the rookies seem ready for them. I'm a believer in not giving rookies too much too soon is best for their development.
I think 10-20 minutes a night for most rookies is ideal. I think it goes south if they are awful and lose confidence or if they are gifted 30+ minutes a night and are allowed to do whatever they want (basically). Other than that I really don't think its good to be out of the rotation. Don't think Ochai's season or development look a whole lot different whether he was getting minor minutes early or did time in the G League.

There is just too much benefit to playing the young guys at least a little... development, assessment, plus if they are okay or show some flashes the trade value gets a bump too.

We're passing on trading Josh Howard for a second round pick so that we can play him 23 minutes per night to make a playoff push, be swept in the first round, and let him walk in the offseason. Don't underestimate the experience component here. It's one of the reasons we were able to be regular season champions nearly a decade later.

We're passing on trading Josh Howard for a second round pick so that we can play him 23 minutes per night to make a playoff push, be swept in the first round, and let him walk in the offseason. Don't underestimate the experience component here. It's one of the reasons we were able to be regular season champions nearly a decade later.
Basically.... now if we are top 5 I get that dev takes a backseat.

THT (28) / Dunn (10)
Clarkson (26) / Sexton (24)
Ochai (24) / Keyonte (20)
Lauri (34) / KO (20)
Giga-Chad (28) / Collins (26)

Dunn/Sexton sub together for THT/Clarkson

Collins/KO sub together for Ochai/Giga-Chad

Sub in Keyonte after Dunn is done with his short 5 minute per half stint.

Rotate spot minutes here and there between Sensabaugh/Hendricks/Fonteccio

Rotation becomes much easier when you deal Sexton.

I don't want to do a full outline of what I'd do... but a few of the principles/allocations.

- I'd start Sexton with JC as I think that is the best balance between a few things I want to prioritize. I want Sexton to get 28-30 minutes to push up his trade value (more status, more minutes, might just show he can handle playing more like a pg). I want to make sure we get Key 12-20 minutes. Not sure Key and Sexton will be a lovely bench unit... would like to sneak Dunn in there with him.
- I'd want John Collins off the bench ideally as I think KO really helps with the starting group and the small ball lineup is easier to get to if Collins comes off the bench. Make him a nominal starter and then pull the plug 4-6 minutes into the 1st.
- Taylor needs 10 minutes a night... just has to happen. Play with JC as the backup 5 or KO gets all those minutes... whatever has to happen just make it so.
- Ochai fills in gaps in SG/SF minutes but unless he really shows something... he is on the side burner a bit. Anywhere from 12-20 minutes is what I'd be targeting. Midseason a JC or Sexton trade opens up a bunch of minutes for him.

I didn't love the Collins addition... and assuming Key and Taylor look solid I'd be looking to move Collins and Clarkson or Sexton. So I'm not doing anything that dents the trade value there. If they look really green then don't force trade to happen.

So for the first few weeks - until certain players show me i'm wrong and deserve more or fewer minutes, it would look something like this: and again, this would be what i would hope happens...

Key 25-30 mpg, sexton 15-20 mpg
Ochai 25-30 mpg, Dunn 15-20 mpg, sensabaugh any left over
Lauri 32-35 mpg, THT 10-15, sensabaugh any left over
Collins 28-32 mpg, Hendricks 15-20 mpg
Kessler 30-35 mpg, combo of Lauri, Hendricks, Omer with the left over minutes.

with that, ideally sensabaugh (assuming he's 100%) gets about 10-15 mpg and Hendricks 20+. Ochai would probably have the shortest leash of that group. At his age, he needs to prove quickly he can get it done. Hendricks and George's leashes would be quite long. i would give them every chance to succeed and improve by gaining valuable in game experience - their lights would be as green as is reasonable in order to instill as much confidence as i can while giving them some limitations - but they would know they can just go out and play while not worrying that if they make the slightest mistake they will be pulled - we're not winning a title, so now is the time to develop these dudes. they would have to be absolutely horrendous to have a significant decrease in minutes after the first 3 weeks or so.

Last edited:
So for the first few weeks - until certain players show me i'm wrong and deserve more or fewer minutes, it would look something like this: and again, this would be what i would hope happens...

Key 25-30 mpg, sexton 15-20 mpg
Ochai 25-30 mpg, Dunn 15-20 mpg, sensabaugh any left over
Lauri 32-35 mpg, THT 10-15, sensabaugh any left over
Collins 28-32 mpg, Hendricks 15-20 mpg
Kessler 30-35 mpg, combo of Lauri, Hendricks, Omer with the left over minutes.

with that, ideally sensabaugh (assuming he's 100%) gets about 10-15 mpg and Hendricks 20+. Ochai would probably have the shortest leash of that group. At his age, he needs to prove quickly he can get it done. Hendricks and George's leashes would be quite long. i would give them every chance to succeed and improve by gaining valuable in game experience - their lights would be as green as is reasonable in order to instill as much confidence as i can while giving them some limitations - but they would know they can just go out and play while not worrying that if they make the slightest mistake they will be pulled - we're not winning a title, so now is the time to develop these dudes. they would have to be absolutely horrendous to have a significant decrease in minutes after the first 3 weeks or so.

No Clarkson?