What's new

Potential Trade Targets

I think out of everything we have seen (smoke or legit rumors), the one that would make most sense has not been discussed a lot. I think there are chances that we might see a 3 team deal with the Knicks and Hawks.
  • Knicks get at least Calrkson and possibly Olynyk (makes salary matching harder though)
  • Hawks get Grimes and Fournier and 2 FRP (both from us)
  • We get DJM + salary (maybe sneak in AJ Griffin?)
There are some variations where Sexton might be sent out or where we give up a guy like Ochai, but I think these 3 teams are right now very natural trade partners for a trade that benefits all.

Jazz perspective:
We get the starting guard upgrade we need with a guy who matches with Lauri age-wise, has AS upside and is tied up in a team friendly deal for multiple years going forward.

Hawks perspective:
They get picks plus two players they could use right now and one of them they are reportedly interested in (Grimes) who fits well with Trae. Fournier also helps them create capspace going forward. They are playing guys like Wesley Matthews and Garrison Mathews rn, plus trading DJM leaves an even bigger hole in their guard rotation so getting 2 back would probably help them.

Knicks perspective:
Why wouldn't Knicks go straight for DJM? For one that would cost more, and they dont necessarily want to mess up their starting lineup. They get to keep their assets for a bigger swing and JC team friendly contract can possibly be used in that trade.

Giving up JC plus the CLYNYK plus 2 firsts for DJM feels very rich.

I expect a THT for Cedi Osman or another expiring fringe deal. But if there isn't a deal then maybe we just let THT rot on the bench as an expiring. Shrug. Sucks to be him I guess. I would think other teams see value in him.

I expect a THT for Cedi Osman or another expiring fringe deal. But if there isn't a deal then maybe we just let THT rot on the bench as an expiring. Shrug. Sucks to be him I guess. I would think other teams see value in him.
DJM was an All-Star last time he was in a lead guard role, and he is gonna make 20M+ below max money per year for 3.5 years (+1 year PO).

So compare that to Siakam trade, who plays a more desirable position but is gonna command max money and has his own deficiencies as well, and it seems quite fair.

I expect a THT for Cedi Osman or another expiring fringe deal.
I don't think there is a way to get KO in the deal with salaries. That said it depends on which 1sts.

But I would gladly do that deal. KO and Clarkson dont seem like the would net a decent 1st and are not really key figures for the team going forward. KO probably walks after this season if we dont trade him. I guess we will see with those two though. But if you figure its 2 1sts and a few seconds thats a no brainer for DJM.

You think GS is giving up Looney, Podz, and Moody for KO?
Podz? You didn't see it correctly.

It would help them get money off the books for next year while still giving them a win now player this year. If Moody is the hold up then try and find other salary filler or send them seconds to make it work.

I think out of everything we have seen (smoke or legit rumors), the one that would make most sense has not been discussed a lot. I think there are chances that we might see a 3 team deal with the Knicks and Hawks.
  • Knicks get at least Calrkson and possibly Olynyk (makes salary matching harder though)
  • Hawks get Grimes and Fournier and 2 FRP (both from us)
  • We get DJM + salary (maybe sneak in AJ Griffin?)
There are some variations where Sexton might be sent out or where we give up a guy like Ochai, but I think these 3 teams are right now very natural trade partners for a trade that benefits all.

Jazz perspective:
We get the starting guard upgrade we need with a guy who matches with Lauri age-wise, has AS upside and is tied up in a team friendly deal for multiple years going forward.

Hawks perspective:
They get picks plus two players they could use right now and one of them they are reportedly interested in (Grimes) who fits well with Trae. Fournier also helps them create capspace going forward. They are playing guys like Wesley Matthews and Garrison Mathews rn, plus trading DJM leaves an even bigger hole in their guard rotation so getting 2 back would probably help them.

Knicks perspective:
Why wouldn't Knicks go straight for DJM? For one that would cost more, and they dont necessarily want to mess up their starting lineup. They get to keep their assets for a bigger swing and JC team friendly contract can possibly be used in that trade.
Why would we let Knicks in this deal with only Grimes? No way Knicks get JC AND KO with only Grimes. They need to give up at least one FRP or two.

The more I look at the deadline, the more I’m convinced we should move KO for the best deal we can get for expirings… get a pick in the 30s and another second and move JC to NY for Fournier and Grimes. If we get something else then great. Between the KO caphold and Jc’s deal we would have 28M more to play with in FA.

So JC/KO for Grimes, a pile of seconds, and $20m+ more in space to play with. I see the Woj report in not many sellers, not a lot of interest in 2024 draft, etc and I see opportunities now and in the offseason.

The more I look at the deadline, the more I’m convinced we should move KO for the best deal we can get for expirings… get a pick in the 30s and another second and move JC to NY for Fournier and Grimes. If we get something else then great. Between the KO caphold and Jc’s deal we would have 28M more to play with in FA.

So JC/KO for Grimes, a pile of seconds, and $20m+ more in space to play with. I see the Woj report in not many sellers, not a lot of interest in 2024 draft, etc and I see opportunities now and in the offseason.

Who are realistic FA targets?

Who are realistic FA targets?
Just a few quick ones… will fully dive in if it looks like we have space - Okoro, Claxton, Patrick Williams, Quickley

Some restricted but we can at least offer enough to make teams sweat. I also think right now you may have a hard time getting a guy like Moses Moody but if GS states mortality and a huge liability in the face at the end of the season you might sneak out Moody for taking GP2 salary and maybe some seconds. There will be some salary opportunities as the realization of the new cap system really sets in. Just like the 65 game requirement is setting in now… there is a bit of a lag in seeing how these things impact things until they arrive.

The two deals I try for are:

KO and 2nds to OKC for Bertans and our first
JC and 2025/2027 first to Atlanta for Dejounte

I still think the odds of our pick ever conveying to OKC are 50/50…. Feels like it’s 50/50 this year, and I still think there’s a chance we hit an inflection point next year and go full tank, at that point they’re getting nothing from us. Because of those two things, that pick has less value than others here think.

Would be shocked if they sat on their hands. They should put the foot on the gas pedal either now or in the summer.
There’s probably a huge offer on the table for us from OKC. And that is for Lauri of course. There’s no way they don’t make that offer considering Lauri’s age and fit with them for the next several years. Will Danny flip a coin lol? No, he has already decided to build around Lauri.

There’s probably a huge offer on the table for us from OKC. And that is for Lauri of course. There’s no way they don’t make that offer considering Lauri’s age and fit with them for the next several years. Will Danny flip a coin lol? No, he has already decided to build around Lauri.
I doubt they have an “offer” on the table but they likely know what it would cost. They are really secretive so something wild out of nowhere makes sense.

I don't really see KO as a priority target for OKC. They have so many shooters and play makers, but lack rebounding. I guess KO is a big body they can throw at people.