What's new

Premature thread on Marc Gasol

QuinSnydersHair

Would you throw a 5 year max deal at him next summer? He turns 30 this January. But damn he brings to the table what I want.

Would you throw a 5 year max deal at him next summer? He turns 30 this January. But damn he brings to the table what I want.
I would. I believe he won't enter the declining phase before his 33, that makes a solid 3-4 years. And if he starts to decline then, it surely won't be fast. But even he sucks at that time I'm sure there will always be teams that are ready to take big contracts.

Unless the Jazz trade for him this year, the only team that can offer a 5 year max contract is Memphis. With that said, if the Jazzcould trade for him I'd be elated to have them give him a max contract. If he hits free agency, I'd go all in to sell him on coming to Utah. Don't see it happening, but I'd try.

Realistically, the only way he ends up in Utah is if they trade for him AND offer him a 5 year max. The Jazz must have the option to offer more than anyone else if they want him. Simple as that.

Maybe the better question is: "How much should the Jazz be willing to pay in a trade for the right to offer Marc Gasol a 5 year contract?"

My answer is - "A lot."

Yes I will, without a question... There are very few bigs in the league with this specific set of skills - defense, passing and not complete offensive liability. I think this is precisely the type of player we need the most right now. Unfortunately as Ellis269 said, only the team that currently is in contract with him has the right to sign a 5 year deal... :(

I think E269 is spot on. Going to be hard to bring any decent FAs before we're back in the playoffs. I see a trade as the only real option of taking the next step in competing. I'm starting to lean towards believing Utah wants one more high pick before getting too serious about improving through trade. Can't see them getting too aggressive this year, but you never know when something could fall into your lap. Could be another long season.

I think that they're ready to make a move if one presents itself. If a James Harden situation comes available they have the assets to make something happen. IMO, it all depends on how much the Grizzlies are willing to pay Gasol. If they're willing to Max him, they'll keep him. If not, they'll trade him at the deadline. They have to get something for him, or offer the most cash - like Utah.

The Jazz will likely play out this season and see where they fall in the lottery. I really think that the plan is to go through the "growing pains" of this season with a young team and see if they can jump up far enough in the lottery to get another potential star to pair with Exum. After that, I think they're going to leverage every asset they can to get the "Final Piece" to complete a potential contending team.

They're playing really well so a trade's not happening...I was just hoping their owner gets cheap and refuses to sign him to a huge deal.

They're playing really well so a trade's not happening...I was just hoping their owner gets cheap and refuses to sign him to a huge deal.
The only problem with that scenario is that Gasol will have better options than Utah if he hits unrestricted free agency and the Grizzlies don't want to Max him. The only way the Jazz get him is if they trade for him and can offer that contract themselves.

The only problem with that scenario is that Gasol will have better options than Utah if he hits unrestricted free agency and the Grizzlies don't want to Max him. The only way the Jazz get him is if they trade for him and can offer that contract themselves.

Just a day after blasting Catchall for saying we should trade Favors, I am beginning to see his thought process. Favors is about the only player of ours good enough to have comparable to all-star-value(when packaged with other assets) for another team, but still not established enough for us to be willing to part ways with... And I'm thinking... would they be willing to do such a trade - Favors + couple of firsts for expiring Gasol(with some sort of assurances that he'd be willing to resign for the 5 year max)? And just as I was typing that I checked his age... dammit... he'll be 30 in January. I really don't want to pay max to players whose trajectory from now on is probably going to be going down. Dammit! That's a hard one...

The team with the best record in the NBA is going to trade their star player? Yeah, right.
Gasol has never said he's unhappy in Memphis. To the contrary, Gasol is reportedly very happy playing in a smaller market. Sure, every team is going to be interested in Marc. But Lakers are a mess, Knicks are dysfunctional. Memphis is a legit contender. I just don't see a better situation for Marc anywhere, unless he wanted to team up with his brother.

The team with the best record in the NBA is going to trade their star player? Yeah, right.
Gasol has never said he's unhappy in Memphis. To the contrary, Gasol is reportedly very happy playing in a smaller market. Sure, every team is going to be interested in Marc. But Lakers are a mess, Knicks are dysfunctional. Memphis is a legit contender. I just don't see a better situation for Marc anywhere, unless he wanted to team up with his brother.

Yep... You are right... pretty much the only way anybody gets a shot at Gasol is if Memphis don't want to pay him the max and they don't have a lot of money tied in contracts, so even a max contract is very manageable for them. One can't help but dream, though... :)

Like Stifle said, Memphis is not going to trade Gasol. People forget that Memphis is his American home. The people love him and so do his teammates. Dude is going to get the Max and he deserves it in today's market. There is no way he goes to LA and the only team I see him going to is San Antonio and that is a long shot.

images

This is Adria Gasol, the youngest Gasol. Too bad his skills are very 'raw', as stated by Pau. I'm a bit biased here cause' I'm half Spanish myself but it'd be awesome to have more Jazz coverage in Spain. It's a country where basketball is the no.2 sport and the Spanish players in the NBA are followed closely there. Also, still a bit butt hurt by the one Spanish player that was here once that turned out a bust due to a knee injury (Raul Lopez).

Like Stifle said, Memphis is not going to trade Gasol. People forget that Memphis is his American home. The people love him and so do his teammates. Dude is going to get the Max and he deserves it in today's market. There is no way he goes to LA and the only team I see him going to is San Antonio and that is a long shot.

If Memphis doesn't win it all this year, then he should go to San Antonio. He needs to win as many championships as Pau, or he'll be stuck as the second-best player in his family.

The Spurs.