What's new

Premature thread on Marc Gasol

Never. Gonna. Happen. He would be s perfect fit here, but he would on most teams tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team with the best record in the NBA is going to trade their star player? Yeah, right.
Gasol has never said he's unhappy in Memphis. To the contrary, Gasol is reportedly very happy playing in a smaller market. Sure, every team is going to be interested in Marc. But Lakers are a mess, Knicks are dysfunctional. Memphis is a legit contender. I just don't see a better situation for Marc anywhere, unless he wanted to team up with his brother.
It's time for Memphis to blow up thier team and rebuild imo

Better to pay Gasol 5 years at the new max after the new TV deal, than Kanter 5 years at 12-16million/year

I've said for years that Marc Gasol is the best center in the league. He's the only big out there who can do everything. He defends at a high level (2013 DPOY); is consistent from 18 feet out; has beautiful post moves and touch around the basket; he's the second best passing big man in the league (after Noah); he's an unselfish leader who's led his team to the WCF. You can build an offense and defense around him.

He's my free agency wet dream. But as others have said, a lot of things would have to fall perfectly into place for us to acquire him (Memphis being cheap; New York sucking enough to scare him from signing there; Duncan not retiring).

But still, it's really fun to imagine a lineup of:

Exum
Burks
Hayward
Favors
Gasol

Defensive bigs, who can pass and are at least competent offensively have been really fashionable lately. Bogut, Noah, Gasol... I'd love us to have the next one. Any of the draft prospects have that kind of skillset?

Memphis is probably one piece away from truly threatening the Spurs in the West and they are easily Top 3 right now. I don't see him leaving there. This season though they should make a play for AK-47. Wouldn't it be great if AK becomes a solid contributor on a deep playoff team that was once couched by the current Brooklyn coach who refuses to play him?

Memphis is probably one piece away from truly threatening the Spurs in the West and they are easily Top 3 right now. I don't see him leaving there. This season though they should make a play for AK-47. Wouldn't it be great if AK becomes a solid contributor on a deep playoff team that was once couched by the current Brooklyn coach who refuses to play him?

He'll leave if they're too afraid to offer a 30 year old a 5 year max contract.

Defensive bigs, who can pass and are at least competent offensively have been really fashionable lately. Bogut, Noah, Gasol... I'd love us to have the next one. Any of the draft prospects have that kind of skillset?

Karl Towns.

Would you throw a 5 year max deal at him next summer? He turns 30 this January. But damn he brings to the table what I want.

I don't think his contribution will decline considerably enough to pass on a contract like this, his skillset is more based on fundamentals than athleticism. But as for any other long player, injuries might be a problem as the contract passes through the halfway point or so. I don't like long contracts too much in an organization where you trade contracts.

images

This is Adria Gasol, the youngest Gasol. Too bad his skills are very 'raw', as stated by Pau. I'm a bit biased here cause' I'm half Spanish myself but it'd be awesome to have more Jazz coverage in Spain. It's a country where basketball is the no.2 sport and the Spanish players in the NBA are followed closely there. Also, still a bit butt hurt by the one Spanish player that was here once that turned out a bust due to a knee injury (Raul Lopez).

The thing that makes Spain special compared to other countries is that they are (arguably to some not to me) the best in football, and despite this should be a major satisfaction, it is not over for them, they are arguably one of the best if not the best in European basketball. I know there is too much usage of the word "the best", but I respect their base in both of those sports a lot.

Memphis has a deep wing rotation, AK couldn't crack it. Not that any of their wings are that great, but they have good depth.

Karl Towns.

Do you think he has it all in defense though? All those players I mentioned are elite defenders(two of them have won the defensive player of the year award, the third one has been in the top 10). I have limited exposure to Towns and from what I've seen he has the potential but right now is not a great defender.