What's new

Proof Donovan was The Issue

Proof Donovan was the issue... Wolves about the sweep the champs anchored by 4x (should easily be 5x) DPOY Gobert who was praised by his coach for changing the defensive identity of the entire team. While Cleveland can only think about how soon they can dump Donovan "Empty-stat" Mitchell.

I really wish we had just traded Mitchell and kept Gobert. Adding the haul we got from Cleveland could have propelled us to nearly be the wolves, with Gobert anchoring it all.

Proof Donovan was the issue... Wolves about the sweep the champs anchored by 4x (should easily be 5x) DPOY Gobert who was praised by his coach for changing the defensive identity of the entire team.
What is amazing is that Gobert successfully anchored the defense and protected the paint in Denver while being two states away! That's what the GOAT DPOY does.

What is amazing is that Gobert successfully anchored the defense and protected the paint in Denver while being two states away! That's what the GOAT DPOY does.
Yep. The great ones affect the entire team so they still play supremely well when when the Great misses a game here and there. You're right! His influence reaches far!

Proof Donovan was the issue... Wolves about the sweep the champs anchored by 4x (should easily be 5x) DPOY Gobert who was praised by his coach for changing the defensive identity of the entire team. While Cleveland can only think about how soon they can dump Donovan "Empty-stat" Mitchell.

I really wish we had just traded Mitchell and kept Gobert. Adding the haul we got from Cleveland could have propelled us to nearly be the wolves, with Gobert anchoring it all.
Except 1 major difference... we dont have Ant. We still would have needed HIM.

Hard to compare for me. We do not have ANT, we do not have KAT, Mac Daniels is a top 10 defender in NBA... we were missing many pieces even if we had keep Rudy and Mike. But i would have seen Rudy and Lauri play together with Mike the floor general.

Hard to compare for me. We do not have ANT, we do not have KAT, Mac Daniels is a top 10 defender in NBA... we were missing many pieces even if we had keep Rudy and Mike. But i would have seen Rudy and Lauri play together with Mike the floor general.
And Minny doesnt have Lauri, Sexton, JC, Tech or KO. All of whom are good players and all of whom we could have had with Mike and Rudy. Plus we had NAW who would have seen the court (along with Tech) without the Gobert trade bringing in Beasley, Vando and THT (via Pat Bev).

We would have had the assets to go get "him", whoever it would be that came available.

No we wouldn't have unless you think Bradley Beal is a him.
Why did it have to be IMMEDIATELY!1!! Give it a season or 2 and you don't know what comes up.

Counterpoint: The Gobert trade set the market and allowed us to get what we did for Mitchell.

Also, it just doesn’t seem like it was in the cards at all since Gobert was traded 2 months before Donovan.

What about McDaniels and KAT? Heard they are pretty good at basketball. The difference between Ant and Mitchell is far less compared to KAT/McDaniels against the rest of our roster.

Then Lauri vs. KAT would make a very interesting comparison. But yeah missing out on McDaniels is a very tough pill to swallow for jazzfans.

What about McDaniels and KAT? Heard they are pretty good at basketball. The difference between Ant and Mitchell is far less compared to KAT/McDaniels against the rest of our roster.
If only we had a chance to draft McDaniels.

Think of all the great players we surrounded RG and DM with: Bogie can't guard a chair, Ingles with a bum knee, the legendary Dok, Elijah Hughes, Clarkson, the legendary Trent Forrest, Paschal, Whiteside, and Matty Ice. A lot of those guys are out of the league and most didn't guard a chair. A lot of the blame has to go to Quin and DL for assembling this K9 unit and the culture once they got here.

Counterpoint: The Gobert trade set the market and allowed us to get what we did for Mitchell.

Also, it just doesn’t seem like it was in the cards at all since Gobert was traded 2 months before Donovan.
Yeah the second part is true, sadly. Short-sighted on their part imo.

The first part is an assumption, may or may not have had an impact, or at least the level impact we think it did. We don't really know for sure. Could be more going on behind the scenes than we know, as usually is the case.

Ultimately the problem with the Don/Rudy build was that you had to surround Rudy with shooters and you had to surround Don with defenders. Finding 3 other starter level players that can both shoot and defend is not easy.

If we are learning from our past mistakes, I would say we would be looking for two way stars to build around.

Ultimately the problem with the Don/Rudy build was that you had to surround Rudy with shooters and you had to surround Don with defenders. Finding 3 other starter level players that can both shoot and defend is not easy.

If we are learning from our past mistakes, I would say we would be looking for two way stars to build around.
But the Wolves aren't a team of shooters and it has worked...