What's new

Proposed NBA rule changes

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sport...ee-rule-changes-2018-19-season-163716779.html

I'm not sure if I like the proposed shot clock changing to 14 seconds.
Yeah I don't like that either. They keep doing things to push the pace of the game, make things easier for offensive player, etc. Hell if they want a sprint and dunk game just make it illegal to guard anyone and give the team 8 seconds after they take possession to get to the hoop. Then it will be super fast and incredibly high-scoring, which is apparently what the NBA thinks their customers, namely we, want. Idiots.

I like the 14 second thing. Especially at the end of the game. I wish they'd call intentional fouls properly so that basically any foul to stop the clock was 2 free throws and the ball. That would end the whole 10-minutes-of-real-time-to-play-one-minute-of-game-time crap.

That's the same as the FIBA rule(the 14 seconds reset on offensive rebound). I like it.

Does FIBA still use that rule where if the shot clock buzzer goes while the ball is in the air, it can go in but there can't be a rebound? In other words, if you miss, it's a shot clock violation and if it goes in, it's a basket. I love that. I hate when players just heave the ball with 1 on the shot clock and if it so much as grazes the rim, it's another possession.

Yeah I don't like that either. They keep doing things to push the pace of the game, make things easier for offensive player, etc. Hell if they want a sprint and dunk game just make it illegal to guard anyone and give the team 8 seconds after they take possession to get to the hoop. Then it will be super fast and incredibly high-scoring, which is apparently what the NBA thinks their customers, namely we, want. Idiots.
Yes, they are idiots for giving the customers what they want.

The rebounding resetting the shot clock completely never really made sense. Personal fouls dont reset the shot-clock to 24, they reset it to 14. No team needs a complete 24 seconds in a 2nd/3rd/etc consecutive half-court possession.

This new rule wont drastically change the pace of the game. I don't know where to look the data up, but I would guess the majority of possessions following an offensive rebound are used in the first 14 seconds. The biggest change will be the end of games when teams are milking clock. An offensive rebound will no longer be as big of a back-breaker to teams trying to make a comeback. In my opinion that is a good thing and a positive change to the game.

I don't have an issue with it. I don't really care either way.

One thing I guess it changes is they have to make a quick decision on whether to reset the clock on a rebound. If there were, say, 17 seconds on the clock when you got the rebound you wouldn't reset it down to 14 you'd leave it at 17 just like with fouls. But if it's below 14 then you reset it to 14 just like with fouls. With a foul there's a stoppage and you decide what to set the clock to. On a rebound you do it right away. But I'm sure they can handle it. I just wouldn't want to see too many stoppages where the ref blows the whistle because the scoreboard operator did or didn't do what the ref thought was the right thing.

But perhaps most of the time there won't be more than 14 seconds on the clock when you shoot except on fast breaks.

It's only off an offensive rebound. I don't really care. Most offensive rebounds turn into layup attempts or kickouts for quick threes.

Not even sure why they would address this... how about voting on a rule where James Harden doesn't get 14 steps on a step back three or get to shoot free throws for swinging his arms unnaturally into other guys instead of trying to make actual baskets.

Intentional fouls need to go away too... I swear to you we do it more than anyone and we eff it up enough that I'm not sure we really benefit from it. We do it and then it gets called a clear path... or we are in the penalty... or DM does it when he already has 2 fouls in the 1st quarter. It's annoying and I've seen guys do it in pickup ball now a little... which is just egregious imo.

Also our clock operator is like the worst in the league... at least 2-3 times per game they screw up and stop the game. We need less complexity for this person... or a new clock operator.