What's new

Props to Pops

Release the Kraken

Always been a bit of a San Antonio fan going back to the ABA days. Only former ABA team to really flourish in the NBA. Only "small market" team to win multiple championships. Still, with his petulant disposition, I grew to dislike Pops. What he did to Kawhi was shady too IMO. Still, he's a good coach when it comes to X's and O's, no debating that

Definitely warming up to him though the way he's featuring Mitchell on the FIBA team. Not only was DM tabbed as a team leader early on, he's logging more minutes on court than...basically anybody. And now I read, he's also assumed the mantle of "closer" - https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ip-off-2019-fiba-world-cup-with-decisive-win/ (drop down to A Closer Emerges). This experience is going to be invaluable for DM and the Jazz. Props to Pops for giving the kid a chance.

Mitchell is also the biggest threat to Pops on this team when the nba season rolls around. I’d want to put as much responsibility on his plate as I could and play him a **** ton of minutes putting wear and on that body of his.

Mitchell is also the biggest threat to Pops on this team when the nba season rolls around. I’d want to put as much responsibility on his plate as I could and play him a **** ton of minutes putting wear and on that body of his.
Or maybe he's counting on Donovan returning to Utah and immediately requesting a trade to SA because he can see Pops is a far superior coach to Quin. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if a 22 yr old can't handle national team play, I'd have serious doubts about said player. Donovan admits he's a gym rat. What do you think he'd be doing if he weren't in China? And this is FAR better experience than he could get on his own or by playing pick up games. Now if you expressed concerns over Ingles, you might have a valid point.

Besides, the article doesn't state Pops has made him the "closer." Mitchell got hot in the 2nd half. You ride the hot hand.

Last edited:
I don’t think Pop did Kawhi dirty. 20 years of picture perfect injury management and all of a sudden he’s rushing Kawhi to play? I don’t think we will ever get the complete picture, but I suspect Kawhi and his people wanted big market all along and their story was convenient.

I don’t think Pop did Kawhi dirty. 20 years of picture perfect injury management and all of a sudden he’s rushing Kawhi to play? I don’t think we will ever get the complete picture, but I suspect Kawhi and his people wanted big market all along and their story was convenient.

I think there’s this. I also know some black athletes feel like there’s a sort of slaveowner mentality amongst owners in sports and perhaps in some cases, with certain coaches. Pops runs a super tight ship and it’s his way or the highway so to speak, and I could see Kawhi wanting to flourish on his own more, under what he feels is a less repressive coach.

Lol. Mitchell played 25 minutes. Compare that to Ingles -- wasn't it 33 minutes? I think Pop is being careful not to overplay guys because he feels a responsibility to their NBA careers more than to FIBA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, that's not what I meant at all. What I was referring to was Pop shipping him out to Siberia (Toronto), when Kawhi had requested a trade to the coast. It's not like huge offers weren't coming in for him from the LA teams either: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-lakers-present-spurs-with-a-godfather-offer
Just like the Pelicans sitting on AD through the end of the season just to spite him and the Lakers, I feel like the Toronto deal was a spite deal as much as anything. That put him in an uncomfortable position at season's end. And now, even though he won a championship for them he's treated like a sort of villain in Toronto.

Or maybe he's counting on Donovan returning to Utah and immediately requesting a trade to SA because he can see Pops is a far superior coach to Quin. :rolleyes:

LOL to both

Jack Strop: Besides, the article doesn't state Pops has made him the "closer." Mitchell got hot in the 2nd half. You ride the hot hand.

Well even going back to the warm-ups in Australia, he's in the game in crunch time and whether it's Iso or not, he definitly has the green light and he's using it.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not what I meant at all. What I was referring to was Pop shipping him out to Siberia (Toronto), when Kawhi had requested a trade to the coast. It's not like huge offers weren't coming in for him from the LA teams either: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-lakers-present-spurs-with-a-godfather-offer
Just like the Pelicans sitting on AD through the end of the season just to spite him and the Lakers, I feel like the Toronto deal was a spite deal as much as anything. That put him in an uncomfortable position at season's end. And now, even though he won a championship for them he's treated like a sort of villain in Toronto.

Read the article. That wasnt a grandfather offer. Would you prefer Kuzma, Ingram, Ball, and junk or Demar DeRozan, Poetl, and junk. DeRozan was the better than any other player offered by the Lakers.

Pop feels a connection to the jazz. He is paying back some earned karma. Should be fun to watch Mitchell ball it up.

I am yet to see Mitchell against real challenge like Serbia in Euroball. His fundamentals will be tested hard hopefully so he can have a different point of view to the game as an enrichment of perception.

Read the article. That wasnt a grandfather offer. Would you prefer Kuzma, Ingram, Ball, and junk or Demar DeRozan, Poetl, and junk. DeRozan was the better than any other player offered by the Lakers.

Pop feels a connection to the jazz. He is paying back some earned karma. Should be fun to watch Mitchell ball it up.

I disagree. Assuming that the rest of the deal looked like what the Pels got for AD, that's three prime first rounders as opposed to one middling #29 pick from the Raptors. Anyway, DeRozan is a chucker, I'd rather have Kuzma.

Regarding Pops and a connection, maybe you're right - Snyder did a pretty good job for those guys.

Last edited:
Pops is old school. It's the same in every sport - GM's have an unwritten rule not to trade a player within the same division or conference. Besides, how do we know what SA wanted? Maybe they didn't like what LA was offering in return. Plus, when you have the inmates running the asylum, everyoner will demand trades to their location of choice.

And yes, I used the inmate phrase. Last I checked, prisons have whites, blacks, latinos, asians and all other nationalities. There is absolutely NO racism in that phrase, Nor does "owner" correlate to slavery. Someone owns the company I work for. He ultimately pays me a salary. I'm not a slave at all. I signed a contract to work for the company. Of course, it's not quite a sports contract because it isn't for a set amount of time. But the concept is the same. In essence, athletes are like contractors; they agree to do a job that will take a set amount of time. These athletes making millions claiming racism should just be fired. Let them see what the rest of the world is like when you're making low-mid five figures.

Here's a fun article about Pop.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/09/04/team-usa-gregg-popovich-pop-quizzes

"Being willing to ask for help, willing to go to your teammate," Donovan Mitchell told NBA.com, "that's what, really, a lot of this is all about."
"I think the only person who got one right was Harrison," Jayson Tatum added. "Everybody else had to ask a friend."

One player needed to call on Mitchell's help to identify China -- the third largest country in the world and the one the players are spending almost three weeks in -- on the map. Mitchell wouldn't divulge the identity of the teammate who called that lifeline, but said that it was only for confirmation.

"They just didn't want to be wrong," he noted. "They wanted to be sure."

The reward for getting a question right? Popovich transforms from Regis Philbin to Oprah Winfrey.

"Pop's handing out cars," Lopez laughed. "He's giving people cars for getting right answers."

Matchbox cars, sadly. The real rewards are intangible.

"It builds camaraderie," Lopez said. "It's good to know that stuff, too."

Pops is old school. It's the same in every sport - GM's have an unwritten rule not to trade a player within the same division or conference. Besides, how do we know what SA wanted? Maybe they didn't like what LA was offering in return. Plus, when you have the inmates running the asylum, everyoner will demand trades to their location of choice.

And yes, I used the inmate phrase. Last I checked, prisons have whites, blacks, latinos, asians and all other nationalities. There is absolutely NO racism in that phrase, Nor does "owner" correlate to slavery. Someone owns the company I work for. He ultimately pays me a salary. I'm not a slave at all. I signed a contract to work for the company. Of course, it's not quite a sports contract because it isn't for a set amount of time. But the concept is the same. In essence, athletes are like contractors; they agree to do a job that will take a set amount of time. These athletes making millions claiming racism should just be fired. Let them see what the rest of the world is like when you're making low-mid five figures.

Yeah, I'm about as color blind as it gets, but one Black motivational speaker at our school even attacked that position as being racist. And I'm definitely not a Trump guy either. But personally, I'm tired of the race card being used by some for everything under the sun. Fortunately though, a lot of people of color seem to think the same way I do, but they're just not the ones making all the noise. Ultimately, I think we have to be the change we want to see in the world and filter out all the noise.

Plus, when you have the inmates running the asylum, everyoner will demand trades to their location of choice.

And yes, I used the inmate phrase. Last I checked, prisons have whites, blacks, latinos, asians and all other nationalities.
I don't want to demean the intent of your post, but an asylum serves a different purpose than a prison. And I have never heard or read of any race having a higher incidence of insanity.

Yeah, I'm about as color blind as it gets, but one Black motivational speaker at our school even attacked that position as being racist. And I'm definitely not a Trump guy either. But personally, I'm tired of the race card being used by some for everything under the sun. Fortunately though, a lot of people of color seem to think the same way I do, but they're just not the ones making all the noise. Ultimately, I think we have to be the change we want to see in the world and filter out all the noise.

The saying that was said was “inmates running the prison,” by the now deceased Houston Texans owner. Had he said asylum, I’m not sure there would have been the same response. Perhaps but there’s definitely a different connotation.

I don't want to demean the intent of your post, but an asylum serves a different purpose than a prison. And I have never heard or read of any race having a higher incidence of insanity.
African-Americans have a higher rate of being diagnosed with schizophrenia. I’m not convinced they have a higher rate of schizophrenia, but they do have a higher rate of being diagnosed with it.