What's new

Pros and Cons of trading Enes Kanter

Hotdog

A lot of people think it was a bad trade. I do t think so. I think it was the best decision given the situation.

Pros

1. Rudy gets the playing time he deserves and is a starter.

This team is a lot better with Rudy Gobert. He is the future of this team. He's possible our greatest asset. His development is coming a long a lot faster than anyone expected. It's not a good idea to dick with that and even possibly piss him off. We should be making him feel like we really like him. Not sitting him on the bench behind a poor man's Al Jefferson.

2. This opens up cap space for us to chase a big time free agent this summer.

The Utah Jazz may not be a destination for big time free agents, but it's not out of the question. And we surely can't pick one up if we don't give ourselves an opportunity to. With guys like Butler, Green, and Leonard about to hit the market, we give ourselves a chance at one. We'll have to max out, but with the looming new TV deal, it won't be a big deal. Maybe there is a chance we land one because their orginal to doesn't want to pay.

3. We pick up a few more trade chips.

Even though the first rounder we are getting back is rumored to be in 2018, doesn't mean we can't use it in a trade whenever we want. Also, it's not a terrible thing to have picks coming to us later, rather than now. We are young enough, and have a lot of contract situations to sort out in just a few short years. It's probably better we don't add more to complicate things down the road. Spreading them out a little is probably better. We could also use a little help later too when we are peaking, and searching for a trade to put us over the top.

We also pick up another 2nd and some rights to other players. Not a huge deal, but it's something.

4. It opens up more time for Trevor Booker.

Booker probably isn't going to be an allstar one day, but he is still pretty good, and we could probably continue to roster him for cheap down the road. If we just stopped playing Booker all together because of Enes crying about playing time, then we would most likely lose him too. So in a way, you can count Booker as being part of the Kanter deal.

5. We remove the risk of paying a player more than he is worth.

If we ended up paying Kanter 12+ mil per year, there is a good chance that we might end up stuck with him until his contract is up. Which in turn would tie our hands and take away flexibility with the roster. Kanter is only 22, but that doesn't mean he is gonna get any better. He hasn't shown to be a smart player or an athletic player. Those things could hinder him his entire career.

6. Our team as a whole gets better at passing, not turning the ball over, and playing defense.

One player who plays a lot, can throw a wrench directly into what you are trying to do. How many times does Kanter have to be pulled aside to talk about the dumb things he's doing. One ball stopping, no defense playing player can ruin the entire chemistry on a team, and what you are trying to do. It can have a negative development effect on other players as well.

7. We get rid of a regular contestant on the show Shaqtin a Fool

That's embarrassing, I don't like seeing Jazz players on that show.

8. We don't lose an asset for nothing.

Kanter was leaving anyways. The writing was on the wall. He was going to take his qualifying offer and then bail.

Cons

1. We sell low on a 3rd overall pick.

Not a huge deal at this point. You win some, you lose some. Getting Rudy at 27 makes up for it.

2. We lose some big man depth.

Not much though. As stated above, if we keep Kanter, it sorts negates Booker.

3. We lose some Turkey fans

Hopefully some of you stick around.

The pros have it imo. Good move by Dennis Lindsey. My fondness grows for him every year. Wanna get mad at someone? Get mad at KOC for drafting Kanter when we already had 3 bigs, and he projected to be a major project with limited upside.

ya. I freaked out first, but it was a good trade overall. Let's hope for a good player this summer + good draft pick

A lot of people think it was a bad trade. I do t think so. I think it was the best decision given the situation.

Pros

1. Rudy gets the playing time he deserves and is a starter.

This team is a lot better with Rudy Gobert. He is the future of this team. He's possible our greatest asset. His development is coming a long a lot faster than anyone expected. It's not a good idea to dick with that and even possibly piss him off. We should be making him feel like we really like him. Not sitting him on the bench behind a poor man's Al Jefferson.

2. This opens up cap space for us to chase a big time free agent this summer.

The Utah Jazz may not be a destination for big time free agents, but it's not out of the question. And we surely can't pick one up if we don't give ourselves an opportunity to. With guys like Butler, Green, and Leonard about to hit the market, we give ourselves a chance at one. We'll have to max out, but with the looming new TV deal, it won't be a big deal. Maybe there is a chance we land one because their orginal to doesn't want to pay.

3. We pick up a few more trade chips.

Even though the first rounder we are getting back is rumored to be in 2018, doesn't mean we can't use it in a trade whenever we want. Also, it's not a terrible thing to have picks coming to us later, rather than now. We are young enough, and have a lot of contract situations to sort out in just a few short years. It's probably better we don't add more to complicate things down the road. Spreading them out a little is probably better. We could also use a little help later too when we are peaking, and searching for a trade to put us over the top.

We also pick up another 2nd and some rights to other players. Not a huge deal, but it's something.

4. It opens up more time for Trevor Booker.

Booker probably isn't going to be an allstar one day, but he is still pretty good, and we could probably continue to roster him for cheap down the road. If we just stopped playing Booker all together because of Enes crying about playing time, then we would most likely lose him too. So in a way, you can count Booker as being part of the Kanter deal.

5. We remove the risk of paying a player more than he is worth.

If we ended up paying Kanter 12+ mil per year, there is a good chance that we might end up stuck with him until his contract is up. Which in turn would tie our hands and take away flexibility with the roster. Kanter is only 22, but that doesn't mean he is gonna get any better. He hasn't shown to be a smart player or an athletic player. Those things could hinder him his entire career.

6. Our team as a whole gets better at passing, not turning the ball over, and playing defense.

One player who plays a lot, can throw a wrench directly into what you are trying to do. How many times does Kanter have to be pulled aside to talk about the dumb things he's doing. One ball stopping, no defense playing player can ruin the entire chemistry on a team, and what you are trying to do. It can have a negative development effect on other players as well.

7. We get rid of a regular contestant on the show Shaqtin a Fool

That's embarrassing, I don't like seeing Jazz players on that show.

8. We don't lose an asset for nothing.

Kanter was leaving anyways. The writing was on the wall. He was going to take his qualifying offer and then bail.

Cons

1. We sell low on a 3rd overall pick.

Not a huge deal at this point. You win some, you lose some. Getting Rudy at 27 makes up for it.

2. We lose some big man depth.

Not much though. As stated above, if we keep Kanter, it sorts negates Booker.

3. We lose some Turkey fans

Hopefully some of you stick around.

The pros have it imo. Good move by Dennis Lindsey. My fondness grows for him every year. Wanna get mad at someone? Get mad at KOC for drafting Kanter when we already had 3 bigs, and he projected to be a major project with limited upside.

Agree on all points.

More Pros

1. We now have rights to two great European centers, both of which are better suited as third bigs than Kanter

- Pleiss and Tomic can both be had for way cheaper than Kanter-- and they are better at fitting within a team offense (particularly Tomic).
- If Pleiss doesn't come in before the end of the season, he will most-certainly be here next season. He's ready and willing to jump over to the NBA
- Pleiss is a better prospect than Lamb; OKC tried to bring him in this season, and they intended to bring him next season

2. We get a shooter

We lose Novak (who couldnt guard a pylon) for a player who can potentially guard a pylon. Remains to be seen.

A Cleveland first rounder + Marcus Thornton was used to pick up Isaiah Thomas.

We drafted our current starting center with the 27th pick of the NBA draft less than 2 years ago-- who replaced a 3rd overall pick drafted two years prior.

I think this was as good as could be had for the situation they were in. I did not expect him to be traded at all. So to get a 1st, 2nd and some other minor assets is a win IMO.

Agree on all points.

More Pros

1. We now have rights to two great European centers, both of which are better suited as third bigs than Kanter

- Pleiss and Tomic can both be had for way cheaper than Kanter-- and they are better at fitting within a team offense (particularly Tomic).
- If Pleiss doesn't come in before the end of the season, he will most-certainly be here next season. He's ready and willing to jump over to the NBA
- Pleiss is a better prospect than Lamb; OKC tried to bring him in this season, and they intended to bring him next season

2. We get a shooter

We lose Novak (who couldnt guard a pylon) for a player who can potentially guard a pylon. Remains to be seen.
I love you bruh, but you get waaaay to excited about dudes in Europe who have never played in the NBA and maybe never will, let alone make an impact. I don't think you are excited about Pleiss, I think you woulda been excited about ANY Euro dude.

I love you bruh, but you get waaaay to excited about dudes in Europe who have never played in the NBA and maybe never will, let alone make an impact. I don't think you are excited about Pleiss, I think you woulda been excited about ANY Euro dude.

Alright bruh, mark my words. If Tomic doesn't don a Jazz jersey within two years, Pleiss will. You cant teach coordinated 7'2".

I expect apologize from a lot of you in my message ox by the morning. I told everyone round here Kanter was a bum before the draft and all around here called me a hater and an idiot saying Kanter going be an allstar who averages 20 and 12. I heard all that crap. Give me some respect now. Idiot like PKM claims to have inside info and yall worship him but I tell you truth and get bashed.

I sold my kingsize Hersey's chocolate bar for a nickle and two small tootsies rolls. But it was a good deal because:

1) I won't have quite the calorie intake as if I ate the kingsize candybar myself
2) It will help protect my teeth from cavities by not eating as much candy
3) If I didn't eat it in the next few months someone might have ate it for me
4) I now don't have to worry about sharing it with my daughter

We can spin things however we want :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another plus: Derrick Favors is far better at playing PF than playing Center, and this move will likely raise both his usage rate and his already-really-high (or as Lowe/Simmons would say: "sneaky good") PER.

I sold my kingsize Hersey's chocolate bar for a nickle and two small tootsies rolls. But it was a good deal because:

1) I won't have quite the calorie intake as if I ate the kingsize candybar myself
2) It will help protect my teeth from cavities by not eating as much candy
3) If I didn't eat it in the next few months someone might have ate it for me
4) I now don't have to worry about sharing it with my daughter

We can spin things however we want :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your king size Hersey's bar was starting to go rotten, and you have a super king size Herseys with nuts waiting for you if you could get rid of the old one fast enough. Then you also have the opportunity to get another king size candy bar because you sold the rotten one. And also, all your other food you eat tastes better because you aren't eating wroten food.

And you should watch your calorie intake.

Another Pro:

Losing Kanter hurts our depth which could result in a better draft pick this year.

Another Pro:

Losing Kanter hurts our depth which could result in a better draft pick this year.

Maybe, maybe not. I think we are better without him tbh. It might take a minute to get adjusted.

Don't be shocked if the Jazz start winning more. Rudy playing a lot more is going to make a huge difference.