What's new

Protestors storm capital

Oh please. You have fallen for someone's fear mongering. Nobody wants dirty water or air.
Want? No, they just don't care about it, and are more concerned with not requiring businesses to pay for living up to it. The wealthy don't live downstream/downwind of the factories.

Also, a couple republicans =/= republicans. You won't hear republicans from Utah for example ever talking about repealing CAA. I think you used a pretty bad example here.
Will you hear said Republicans discussing loosening up environmental restrictions generally? As I said, they would cut them apart piecemeal, not all at once.

Oh please. You have fallen for someone's fear mongering. Nobody wants dirty water or air. Pushing back against new, bureauocratic GHG regulation does not mean they want to dismantle CAA or CWA. Listing GHG as air pollutants was obviously controversial and a huge new stretch by the EPA's interpretation of CAA. Of course there would be push back. GHG pushback was wanting to repeal or dismantle? Rubbish.

Also, a couple republicans =/= republicans. You won't hear republicans from Utah for example ever talking about repealing CAA. I think you used a pretty bad example here.
I think some people are fine with dirty water and air if it makes them more money and they can simply live where the water and air are clean.

Edit: I see onebrow already basically said the same thing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Want? No, they just don't care about it, and are more concerned with not requiring businesses to pay for living up to it. The wealthy don't live downstream/downwind of the factories.

Will you hear said Republicans discussing loosening up environmental restrictions generally? As I said, they would cut them apart piecemeal, not all at once.
Environmental regulations have become more and more strict over time regardless of which party has been in power. At some point the republicans hate the environment mantra became far fetched.

This is so upsetting. Republicans whined about Benghazi for years, investigated the crap out of it. But an attack here by our own people? They are afraid it will be used against them? Valid, I guess, since it should be.

Why is this minority of Americans able to destroy our democracy like this?

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

This is so upsetting. Republicans whined about Benghazi for years, investigated the crap out of it. But an attack here by our own people? They are afraid it will be used against them? Valid, I guess, since it should be.

Why is this minority of Americans able to destroy our democracy like this?

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app
How's the filibuster thingie workin out for our country? Do you feel like your voice is being heard or do you feel like you're a doormat to a tiny but stubborn minority? Do you see it encouraging bipartisanship or used as a weapon to impede democracy?

What's sad or funny is that the commission had bipartisan support. Both Democrats and Republicans wanted it. Only Republicans wanting to flush 1/6 down the toilet hoping that voters forget it happened at the midterms wanted to kill this thing.

My hope is that this is finally the straw that breaks the camel's back. If you can't get 10 Republicans to sign on a commission that was very similar to the 9/11 commission when the very capitol was under attack then how will you ever get voting rights, health care, and infrastructure passed? Republicans won't even be running for their lives when debating infrastructure.

BTW, the Founding Fathers never intended for the filibuster to be abused like this. They wanted the Senate to be able to pass things by a simple majority. But then the whole black thing issue came about... and well... The rest is history:

Last edited:
Won’t surprise me if Biden is a speed bump on the road to fascism.
Our democracy is a mess.

It doesn't help that a large segment of the population is obsessed with nonsense for clicks and likes...

and

We have so many people that have lost their minds due to having such easy lives. This is made worse with social media, where everyone wants to be a celebrity and feel validated in the grievances. It incentivizes extremism, conspiracy, and just all around nonsense. If this country actually had to deal with war or widespread oppression, they wouldn't have time to worry about "clicks” or “likes.” They'd be more mature and more serious imo. You just don't see people from countries that have actually suffered from fascism making jokes like this. Sorry, but vaccination is nothing like the Holocaust.

Last edited:
Won’t surprise me if Biden is a speed bump on the road to fascism.
Democrats both locally and nationally need to start fighting it. The covid relief passed months ago was cool. But Democrats haven't done anything else to counter the fascism that is spreading like wildfire throughout statehouses and Washington DC. I wish they recognized the importance of the situation. I thought they did but it doesn't seem like they actually do.

In a way I kind of feel like this is what we deserve. Our country can name every Kardashian and who they've ever slept with but can't name just basic branches of government and what they do. You lose democracy when your population is too dumb and self-absorbed to maintain it.

Reactions: Red
Democrats both locally and nationally need to start fighting it. The covid relief passed months ago was cool. But Democrats haven't done anything else to counter the fascism that is spreading like wildfire throughout statehouses and Washington DC. I wish they recognized the importance of the situation. I thought they did but it doesn't seem like they actually do.

In a way I kind of feel like this is what we deserve. Our country can name every Kardashian and who they've ever slept with but can't name just basic branches of government and what they do. You lose democracy when your population is too dumb and self-absorbed to maintain it.

Our country can name every Kardashian and who they've ever slept with
There is Kim, Courtney, and the other one that is dating the Blink182 drummer. I know there is at least one younger sibling that has the Jenner last name. She was the one in the Pepsi commercial where she got Antifa, BLM, The Proud Boys, and up-armored Police to stop mid-riot when they all realized they just needed a Pepsi, right? Isn’t there also a guy? The Kardashians aren’t all girls, are they? …And I have to know who they have all slept with?!? I remember something about the Mom hooking up with OJ Simpson. I knew I should have paid more attention in that class but it was on Monday mornings. I feel like I’m letting the country down but I think the real problem is that our country’s education system has let me down. I mean, who schedules classes on Monday mornings?

If we're not careful we might end up with a political system that is far far far worse than the two-party system we have now, and that's a single-party system. And that's terrifying.

There is Kim, Courtney, and the other one that is dating the Blink182 drummer. I know there is at least one younger sibling that has the Jenner last name. She was the one in the Pepsi commercial where she got Antifa, BLM, The Proud Boys, and up-armored Police to stop mid-riot when they all realized they just needed a Pepsi, right? Isn’t there also a guy? The Kardashians aren’t all girls, are they? …And I have to know who they have all slept with?!? I remember something about the Mom hooking up with OJ Simpson. I knew I should have paid more attention in that class but it was on Monday mornings. I feel like I’m letting the country down but I think the real problem is that our country’s education system has let me down. I mean, who schedules classes on Monday mornings?
I think it goes beyond our education system. Especially when you consider that the demographic falling for Trump and Qanon the most (white boomers) grew up in the supposed “Golden Age” of public education.

I think our situation is a combination of other issues, such as:

* Race and racism.
* Loss of community in America. (Think Bowling Alone here)
* White evangelicalism and culture wars combined with anti-intellectualism.
* The real and perceived loss of social status and opportunity from large swaths of the country.
* Loss of trust in traditional media and the rise of conservative media and social media.
* Decades of unparalleled peace and prosperity. People just take their democracy for granted.
* The “celebrity worship” culture of America. Trump wouldn’t have been elected if it weren’t for The Apprentice.

While I’m sure there are things we could do differently in education, I don’t see it as the catalyst for America disintegrating into overthrowing its own democracy in exchange for the comfort of authoritarianism.

Have you read “The True Believer” by chance? It had some interesting pts that I think might apply here.

Last edited:
If we're not careful we might end up with a political system that is far far far worse than the two-party system we have now, and that's a single-party system. And that's terrifying.
I would agree, but we have had effectively a single-party system at times in our history, and a second party always arises.

Nate Persily, a professor of law at Stanford Law School had these thoughts regarding laws like the one the Texas governor wants to sign. Or, so much for “consent of the governed”.

Persily said it is “far from clear” whether a legislature can overturn an election but added that “one could easily envision” cases in which legislatures say the winner of an election is in dispute or that there are questions about election integrity and therefore that they need to intervene.

“If this practice becomes routine or institutionalized, then it converts elections into advisory exercises that legislatures can take or leave as they choose,” he said. “It undermines the central function of elections as the critical stage when consent of the governed is expressed. We do not know what impact these laws will have. In fact, we will only know once it is too late.”

I would agree, but we have had effectively a single-party system at times in our history, and a second party always arises.
I don't know. Recency bias would suggest this is entirely different than in the past.