What's new

PS4 vs X Box One

I really want to buy a PS4 but it's impossible to find one right now. I hope they get in stock somewhere, preferably amazon, soon.

I really want to buy a PS4 but it's impossible to find one right now. I hope they get in stock somewhere, preferably amazon, soon.
I order basically everything off of Amazon... but buying an actual system is one of the few things I save for a brick-and-mortar store, usually Gamestop. I figure their shipments will probably be better handled than my individual shipment (less likely to be damaged in transit). Also, it gives me a physical place to return it to right away if something's wrong.

Anyone got the PS4 yet??? Happy with it so far???

I really like the PS4, I preordered so I've had it since the release date. The changes to the controller are great. I have Battlefield 4, COD, Killzone, NBA2k, and Assassins Creed.

While it is clear the graphics are better than PS3, I think there is a long way to go. I'm excited to see what Naughty Dog does with the new Uncharted and Last of Us sequel.

The NBA streaming app works pretty well too. (I usually watch on Directv, but have tried the app to see how it works).

Some potentially big news regarding the PS4 (nothing official yet):

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

Basically, it looks like the PS4 may become backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games.

However, besides this being unverified, there are some major questions. The biggest one is whether the PS4 will support physical copies of these old games. If so, that would be truly fantastic. On the other hand, right now the PS4 doesn't even support playback of CDs (possibly fixable via a firmware upgrade, I'm honestly not sure), not to mention that there seems to be very little financial incentive for Sony to add support for old games when they're not going to receive any direct revenue from new software purchases.

That being the case, it's possible that this announcement simply means that PS1 and PS2 games will be a local download rather than played via a stream over a cloud server, as is the plan for PS3 games. If that's the case, then even if you own a physical copy of a PS1 or PS2 game, you'd have to re-purchase a digital copy from Sony, and the choices would be limited to whatever games Sony decided were worth their while to make available to the public.

Still, either scenario is good to hear. At worst, this means PS4 owners will be able to purchase and play digital copies of PS1 and PS2 games without needing to stream them. At best, it means that the PS4 will also become just plain ol' backwards compatible with all physical PS1 and PS2 games.

MY 2 cents

There is already good ps1 emulators and though I haven't tried a ps2 one I'm sure they work fine.
https://coolrom.com/emulators/

Exclusives are the only reason to buy a console and those seem to be getting weaker and weaker. I might consider buying a wii U if they drop the price another 50 bucks. I can't imagine buying a ps4 or xbone though.

I need to set up a hyperspin frontend. keep the emus organized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y76_LLq4FI

MY 2 cents

There is already good ps1 emulators and though I haven't tried a ps2 one I'm sure they work fine.
https://coolrom.com/emulators/

Exclusives are the only reason to buy a console and those seem to be getting weaker and weaker. I might consider buying a wii U if they drop the price another 50 bucks. I can't imagine buying a ps4 or xbone though.

Well, exclusives aren't the only reason if a multiplatform game is going to look significantly better on a new system. For instance, Assassin's Creed 4 is available on both the PS3 and PS4 (and 360 and XB1), but I've held off buying it in anticipation of getting it on next-gen hardware.

In any case, I will definitely be buying a PS4 at some point, probably before 2015, and a confirmation that the PS4 will play physical PS1 and PS2 discs would speed my purchase along (I still own a PS2 and have a lot of old games). But with great games still coming out for the PS3 and 360 (including Dark Souls 2 in march), I'm in no rush. I'll let them iron out kinks in the hardware and build a larger software base.

As for the Wii U, I may end up getting one of those down the line if Bayonetta 2 and Monolith Soft's X turn out to be as good as I think they might be. But again, it'll be a while before those games are even out (neither of them even has a firm release date yet).

Well, exclusives aren't the only reason if a multiplatform game is going to look significantly better on a new system. For instance, Assassin's Creed 4 is available on both the PS3 and PS4 (and 360 and XB1), but I've held off buying it in anticipation of getting it on next-gen hardware.

In any case, I will definitely be buying a PS4 at some point, probably before 2015, and a confirmation that the PS4 will play physical PS1 and PS2 discs would speed my purchase along (I still own a PS2 and have a lot of old games). But with great games still coming out for the PS3 and 360 (including Dark Souls 2 in march), I'm in no rush. I'll let them iron out kinks in the hardware and build a larger software base.

As for the Wii U, I may end up getting one of those down the line if Bayonetta 2 and Monolith Soft's X turn out to be as good as I think they might be. But again, it'll be a while before those games are even out (neither of them even has a firm release date yet).

"Next gen" console hardware is old pc hardware. Assassins Creed 4 is available on pc. See link

https://store.steampowered.com/app/242050/

Why buy an already out dated piece of hardware that is locked down, non upgradeable, will require monthly fees for online gaming, and has poor backwards compatibility.

I cant' believe someone would buy 4 360 contollers @ $60 a pop and then microsoft has the balls to make them useless for no reason.(other than to force you to purchase new ones) Not totally worthless I guess they will still work to play controller compatible pc games.

"Next gen" console hardware is old pc hardware. Assassins Creed 4 is available on pc. See link

Why buy an already out dated piece of hardware that is locked down, non upgradeable, will require monthly fees for online gaming, and has poor backwards compatibility.

I cant' believe someone would buy 4 360 contollers @ $60 a pop and then microsoft has the balls to make them useless for no reason.(other than to force you to purchase new ones) Not totally worthless I guess they will still work to play controller compatible pc games.

PC gaming FTW!

Okay, I happened to pick a game that's also on PC. But for one, there are a lot of games on consoles that just don't come to PC, and others that begin on consoles and only show up on PC months or even years later (Grand Theft Auto 5, anyone?). Also, I generally find it's more expensive to keep upgrading your PC to play the latest games than it is to buy a console for $400 and have it for -- in the case of this past generation -- seven or eight years, with all the games specifically designed for the hardware so that they always run well. And as far as paying for online gaming goes, only Microsoft was doing that until this generation, when Sony also jumped on the bandwagon. But even now, PS+ is a pretty good value with all the free stuff you get, not to mention that $50/year for online gaming on all games is a lot less than PC MMOs like WoW that charge $15/month.

I still play PC games, but generally it's games that aren't on consoles at all or perhaps have just come to PC first (e.g. Diablo 3, Rogue Legacy, Starbound, Crusader Kings 2). If a game is on both PC and consoles, I'd prefer to get it on a console where I don't have to worry about my specs.

PC Elitists make me laugh. Who cares what people play on as long as they enjoy the games they are playing?