What's new

Quin Hire Revisited

Who should the Jazz have hired as head coach?

• Total voters

Stifle Tower

Punch Bowl Re-Filler
Jazz end the year at 11-21, two games ahead of last year's pace. Based on performance, progression and perception, do you think the Jazz made the right decision in hiring Quin? Or should it have been one of the other candidates?

If there was another coach you wanted who I didn't list (such as Hollins, Kidd, Scott, Jackson), please indicate in a post. There were a lot of candidates and I just realized I didn't include an "Other" as a possible selection.

EDIT: for the sake of the poll, assume each of the candidates would have accepted the Jazz job had it been offered to them.

Last edited:
I said Steve Kerr, because it seemed like a Jazz Fanz sort of thing to do. We should always bitch and moan when we don't get the superstars or big name coaches--that'll teach the FO! :)

Quin has won me over. He clearly gets basketball and our offensive scheme is beautiful when we shoot well.

Even though we're only 2 games ahead I feel like this young team has learnt a lot more about how to play together, sharing the ball and run the offense.

It's night and day VS Ty's "just dump the ball down low" offense.

Kerr would have been an excellent choice. Hard to say; he benefits from getting a fantastic roster.
I just like the rapport Quin has developed with the players. Yet, he also drops the hammer.

Kerr would have been an excellent choice. Hard to say; he benefits from getting a fantastic roster.
I just like the rapport Quin has developed with the players. Yet, he also drops the hammer.

Sorry I don't think Kerr would have been a good choice. Kerr's all about "win now". He's not one to spend the time developing our young roster. He quitted once before as a GM, there's no telling what he'll do with a losing season here. Not a long term solution for us.

Quin FTW.

Good observation re: Kerr. He certainly has that team playing on a different level over last season. But you are right. He needs to win now - he chose GS over NY and his BFF, Jackson.

BTW, I voted Quin.

Kerr never seemed like an option for the Jazz. I think he would have been great but I dont think we could have hired him even if we wanted.

Quin seems like a solid choice I am minorly curious how Ettore Messina would have worked out if that was an option, but happy with the teams choice so far.

Would have been interesting to do this poll 12 games ago when the Jazz were 5-16 after losing their 9th straight game. I'm sure it would be more split.

Kerr never seemed like an option for the Jazz. I think he would have been great but I dont think we could have hired him even if we wanted.

Quin seems like a solid choice I am minorly curious how Ettore Messina would have worked out if that was an option, but happy with the teams choice so far.

I should have put in the post an assumption that any of those coaches would have accepted the job had Utah offered it.

Had you posted this poll last May, my answer would be different. I voted Quin because I am not a "grass is greener" guy. I like what I've seen of Quin's system and I like how he coaches a game. My only complaint is his insistance on sitting players when they get their 2nd foul in the first half.

One can argue Kerr and that's fine but Snyder has exceeded my expectations with his distribution of minutes (something Corbin didn't understand).

For a team without a star (but with a few good players) Snyder is coaching the Jazz well for being a rookie NBA coach.

I have no issue with Quin, its looking like a good pickup he builds a relationship with his players and seems very interested in their development- that what we need right now. A team with very solid players like Hayward, Favors, Burks, Gobert and even Kanter we're headed in the right direction.
I cant see us going wrong esp the excellent feedback from guys like DMC (man I wish we sign him back as a 3 and D) and Millsap.
Kerr is lucky he has two red hot shooters- if one of those gets injured for a long spell we'll see how good a coach he really is

Had you posted this poll last May, my answer would be different. I voted Quin because I am not a "grass is greener" guy. I like what I've seen of Quin's system and I like how he coaches a game. My only complaint is his insistance on sitting players when they get their 2nd foul in the first half.

Seems like every coach does that. Is it in the curriculum when you attend Coaching 101?

I voted Quin Snyder. Will gladly admit that I was on the Messina bandwagon before they hired Q and was initially disappointed. Couldn't have been more wrong, and came around early on. Quin Snyder is smart, innovative, demanding and has an attention to detail that the Jazz have needed.

I do wish that he had a better bench. I'd have loved to see the team go hard to sign Messina or Engelland as Assistant Head Coach (or something along those lines.) The fact that Mike Malone is still out there just kills me. I'M guessing that he wants to keep from insulting his current guys, but talent is talent - and you should always get the most talented people that you can in every position.

This is a good thread and was very hard to pick a coaching option. Being Italian I'm sure it seems cliche that I would vote for another Italian. But I would have went for Ettore Messina. He has an incredible coaching reputation while he was coaching over sea's. I think his coaching style translates well into the NBA. He seems to be gaining the respect of the players on the Spurs. There are a lot of good options listed. I haven't been to hot on Quin in the past but I have started to turn that opinion. I don't think he is a bad option by any means.
Who wouldn't love Kerr, but I don't think the Jazz ever had a realistic shot at him. I also wouldn't have minded seeing JVG as our head coach. It's been a while since I've seen him coach, but he has a great attitude, a good coaching record, and he has expressed while commentating how much he likes the Jazz.

Would have been interesting to do this poll 12 games ago when the Jazz were 5-16 after losing their 9th straight game. I'm sure it would be more split.

candrew still would have been in QS's corner. In the pit of the losing streak I saw the light at the end of the tunnel:

Jazz as a team are starting to figure things out a little bit......not saying this this team is going on a run or anything but I think they've turned a bit of a corner.

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?35210-Game-26-Jazz-in-Miami-the-land-of-36-skyscrapers-in-a-few-minutes-Mtn-time&p=955760#post955760

I do worry that Quin's attitude will wear thin on the players after a few years. Not impressed by his defense either. Offense is quite good.