What's new

Quin Snyder -- Coaching Genius

scootsy

Remember when the Cavs finally took the lead with about 5:00 left in the 4th? The Jazz were really struggling to make defensive stops, a problem compounded by the fact that we kept turning the ball over and couldn't score?

Seriously, no one could score. Except Enes Kanter. He scored on two consecutive possessions to keep their lead from ballooning when we DESPERATELY needed them. What adjustments did Quin make to improve the poor play of the others on those 6 or 7 possessions in which the tide was turning? He took the only player who was scoring out.

With just over 3:00 left, Quin took out Kanter and replaced him with Booker, who did exactly what we needed him to do.

Also Exum was playing tough 4th quarter minutes when we were fighting to regain the lead. Our 19yo rookie in his 5th professional game over Trey Burke, who's best attribute is his clutch play.

The moves were unconventional, but the rationale strong. Really impressed with how he managed this game.

Remember when the Cavs finally took the lead with about 5:00 left in the 4th? The Jazz were really struggling to make defensive stops, a problem compounded by the fact that we kept turning the ball over and couldn't score?

Seriously, no one could score. Except Enes Kanter. He scored on two consecutive possessions to keep their lead from ballooning when we DESPERATELY needed them. What adjustments did Quin make to improve the poor play of the others on those 6 or 7 possessions in which the tide was turning? He took the only player who was scoring out.

With just over 3:00 left, Quin took out Kanter and replaced him with Booker, who did exactly what we needed him to do.

Also Exum was playing tough 4th quarter minutes when we were fighting to regain the lead. Our 19yo rookie in his 5th professional game over Trey Burke, who's best attribute is his clutch play.

The moves were unconventional, but the rationale strong. Really impressed with how he managed this game.

Still not sure how I feel about his decision to take Hayward out of hte game 1st and putting him in for the entire 4th quarter. It's a good move if our dudes can sustain offense without Hayward, but it doesn't seem like we can at the moment. You would think it would be Burks time to take over, but he hasn't.

On the other hand, I'm not sure the decision to let the clock run down to 10 secs before attacking was a good one. Two consecutive possessions the Jazz could do nothing. Cleveland had tightened up defensively and we were having trouble getting quality shots. IMO, the Jazz just needed to run their normal offense. Chances are a shot would have come with only 5 seconds or so left on the shot clock.

If you want to compare him to Ty, the use of a well-timed time out has him light-years ahead.

Wait, wait, wait, I thought we were all going to regret the day we hired Snyder rather than Blatt? The 1-4 Blatt.

I'm looking at you AKMVP.

It became obvious Booker needed to be out here for defensive purposes - and like you said, it worked out perfectly. Trey went back to bench because he picked up his 4th and 5th foul so thats why Dante came back in. That was out of necessity. I love how Quin takes either Alec or Gordon out first then puts them back in with second unit to start second quarter while the other who played longer gets a rest. I'm sure that will vary based on game/matchups/etc. Quin was a homerun hire. No ifs, ands or buts about it!

I love that you basically can think, "_______'s not working out, put in _______" and it almost always happens within a couple minutes. I feel like I'm making the substitutions from my couch.

Still not sure how I feel about his decision to take Hayward out of hte game 1st and putting him in for the entire 4th quarter. It's a good move if our dudes can sustain offense without Hayward, but it doesn't seem like we can at the moment. You would think it would be Burks time to take over, but he hasn't.

I think Quin is challenging Burks to do exactly that.

I love that you basically can think, "_______'s not working out, put in _______" and it almost always happens within a couple minutes. I feel like I'm making the substitutions from my couch.
This.
As opposed to before when you were thinking this ****'s not working try anything else and they never did. Or this dude is killing us WTF is he still in the game and he stays on the court while the other 4 players are changed out. That's why I lost interest in the past and that is why I've watched more of these first few games than I did in any month long period of time last season.

Love all the optimism, but I'm not at all convinced that fans will maintain this perspective when the losses start stacking up. Prove me wrong, Jazzfanz.

Love all the optimism, but I'm not at all convinced that fans will maintain this perspective when the losses start stacking up. Prove me wrong, Jazzfanz.

6 games in and we still cant beat the top 5 teams in the NBA. Except that we did, if you actually think Bron-Bron's Cavaliers are anything special. Once we get into the weak part of the schedule we will have an idea of where we stand, but it is obvious we are ahead of schedule. . .

6 games in and we still cant beat the top 5 teams in the NBA. Except that we did, if you actually think Bron-Bron's Cavaliers are anything special. Once we get into the weak part of the schedule we will have an idea of where we stand, but it is obvious we are ahead of schedule. . .

And a convincing win over a good Phoenix team. This road trip is going to be a good test. Only Toronto has a winning record. Jazz should come away with 2-3 wins.

Regardless of how well this team does this season, there will no doubt be some rough stretches in which the people who are prone to overreact(no names) over one game, let alone a string of losses, will panic and start pointing fingers. Hide and watch.

Regardless of how well this team does this season, there will no doubt be some rough stretches in which the people who are prone to overreact(no names) over one game, let alone a string of losses, will panic and start pointing fingers. Hide and watch.

In all actuality, Jazzfanz isn't even that bad when it comes to this. It appears that you have the same 5 people that will do this, but everyone else is pretty even keeled. If you visit other team's message boards, most are even worse. Except Kings fans. Those guys are pretty pathetic. They have been completely drained of hope to the point they can't even complain anymore.

Effort is all I really care about. If I see that, I'm good though I'd love to see an improvement on last year's record as well as more road wins.

One thing I'm having trouble squaring is the fact that we're the 28th ranked team in defensive efficiency. That's an improvement over last year's 30th, but still concerning.

Anyone have access the SportsVU information who can shed some light behind our defensive struggles? I've got my own theories based on the eye test (perimeter defense and bad defense against some really strong offensive 4's - Dirk, Blake) but would like to see a more stats-heavy look.