What's new

Quin Snyder -- Coaching Genius

One thing I'm having trouble squaring is the fact that we're the 28th ranked team in defensive efficiency. That's an improvement over last year's 30th, but still concerning.

Anyone have access the SportsVU information who can shed some light behind our defensive struggles? I've got my own theories based on the eye test (perimeter defense and bad defense against some really strong offensive 4's - Dirk, Blake) but would like to see a more stats-heavy look.

yeah, our half-court defense is absolutely terrible. PnR defense is hard for us because Kanter and Trey are easy to abuse. We'll never be top10 with those two guys.

(Not the stats-heavy answer you're looking for, but.....)

One thing I'm having trouble squaring is the fact that we're the 28th ranked team in defensive efficiency. That's an improvement over last year's 30th, but still concerning.

Anyone have access the SportsVU information who can shed some light behind our defensive struggles? I've got my own theories based on the eye test (perimeter defense and bad defense against some really strong offensive 4's - Dirk, Blake) but would like to see a more stats-heavy look.

Teams like LAC, Houston and Dallas are going to run over Utah all year long - I'll be happy if they manage to go 3-9 against those teams combined (please tell me we play one of these teams only 3 times)

Right now that constitutes over half our games

There are others - GSW, San Antonio. Jazz just don't have the experience and defensive presence to compete against these teams.

yeah, our half-court defense is absolutely terrible. PnR defense is hard for us because Kanter and Trey are easy to abuse. We'll never be top10 with those two guys.

(Not the stats-heavy answer you're looking for, but.....)

Yeah, this is why I want to see the stats - PNR defense has seemed pretty decent to me in terms of switches, but I'm really not the best judge of that. We should all tweet Locke and ask him to do a numbers breakdown - that'd be interesting to see.

Yeah, this is why I want to see the stats - PNR defense has seemed pretty decent to me in terms of switches, but I'm really not the best judge of that. We should all tweet Locke and ask him to do a numbers breakdown - that'd be interesting to see.

Our defense is terrible because of the penetration we allow into the paint. It seems almost all our perimeter players get burned multiple times a game which opens up a ton of gaps in the defense. Wings crash in to help while leaving their player open for a 3 or the big rotates over to prevent the penetrating guard from getting to the rim leaving their assignment open for an oop, dunk/layup, or even just to clean up an offensive board uncontested.

Our best defender on the perimeter so far seems like it's Hayward and he is above average at best.

Love all the optimism, but I'm not at all convinced that fans will maintain this perspective when the losses start stacking up. Prove me wrong, Jazzfanz

Simply, we may not need too. This team is no threat to win or contend for a championship. That said they have given every indication that the season is not going to be as dismal as many predicted. Why are you convinced that the losses will start stacking up to any great extent? If you have specifics to cite that are not ramblings go on ahead and tell us why. Freakazoid, i simply must question you as being any type of Jazz fan. Either explain your comment or i will simply ignore you from now on.

Simply, we may not need too. This team is no threat to win or contend for a championship. That said they have given every indication that the season is not going to be as dismal as many predicted. Why are you convinced that the losses will start stacking up to any great extent? If you have specifics to cite that are not ramblings go on ahead and tell us why. Freakazoid, i simply must question you as being any type of Jazz fan. Either explain your comment or i will simply ignore you from now on.
7 games in and our schedule has been very tough thus far. We sure as hell aren't repeating the 1-14 start to last year. Nor do I see the team just quitting after the all-star break like they did last year and going 6-24. Guess that leaves us the middle part of the schedule to underachieve. Jazz played almost .500 ball (18-19) after the terrible start. I can see this team not quite matching that.

Pessimistically, maybe the jazz go 6-9, then 14-23 and 12-18. That's 32 wins. I picked 35 and will honestly NOT be surprised to see Utah finish at .500. Young team that is bound to improve as the season progresses.

Burks does this way too much.

Wasn't saying it's wrong on his part, a lot of time he has to rotate down to put pressure on the driver. It just all starts with the ball handler being able to blow by our perimeter defenders.

Why are you convinced that the losses will start stacking up to any great extent? If you have specifics to cite that are not ramblings go on ahead and tell us why.

I was talking about losing streaks. There is a certain group of posters who overreact to both wins and losses, and they make up a good portion of this board. Now, my comment was not a statement on the season as a whole. I do believe we'll struggle, but I also see the possibility of things coming together better than expected, so don't get your panties in a bunch.
-
Regardless, even if we do exceed expectations, there will be several losing streaks in which certain people will panic and start throwing people under the bus. So, yes, even if we do better than hoped for, the losses will stack during several L streaks, at which time we will see poster's true colors with regard to Quin as a coach.
-
Freakazoid, i simply must question you as being any type of Jazz fan.

Come at me, bro.

internet_tough_guys.jpg

MDAV28;933856Our best defender on the perimeter so far seems like it's Hayward and he is above average at best.[/QUOTE said:
Hayward's team defense looks to have taken several steps up the latter though. He's not over fake helping to where he cannot get back to his man on the perimeter. He looks very alert as well.