What's new

Rajon Rondo does not belong on the Jazz

@PKM: We'll find out this season if Rondo can carry a franchise single handedly. My guess is no. I think he's worth close to max only if surrounded with players I mentioned in my post earlier.
To clarify my opinion: The reason I think so is that his holes are too big to play 1v5. Teams can adapt to his playstyle. But when surrounded by other great players his defense simply becomes such a huge factor that he's worth so much. If he can solely focus on passing, driving and disrupting the opponent's ballhandler, he's really valuable. As soon as he's forced to shoot or take over responsibility in crunch time, he's just a $10M/ yr player

Not really fair coming off the ACL injury. Most players need at least half a season to get back to 100% mentally and physically.

Then we take the 2nd half of the season, if not ordered to tank. Maybe even 14/15 if he's not traded until then.

Also, who said he needs to go 1 vs. 5? That's hardly a valid argument against him being overrated.

The truly great players of this decade(Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, LeBron, Nash) could and some did single handedly carry their teams 1v5(sometimes you could even say 1v9) to at least 50% and borderline playoff records. Remember the Lakers transition years? Nash's last 2 seasons with the Suns? LeBron's beginnings in Cleveland? Basically his 2nd through 5th season...The previous 2 Mavs seasons where Dirk carried them alone.
I bet I forgot some, but I doubt Rondo can make the sucking Celtics a .500 team on his own.

Just to clarify: I never said he is overrated...
He's worth his $12M he getts a year if he's not surrounded by talent. But if surrounded by the proper talent that allows him to only display his strengths and help him erase his weaknesses ingame he's worth close to max.

The truly great players of this decade(Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, LeBron, Nash) could and some did single handedly carry their teams 1v5(sometimes you could even say 1v9) to at least 50% and borderline playoff records. Remember the Lakers transition years? Nash's last 2 seasons with the Suns? LeBron's beginnings in Cleveland? Basically his 2nd through 5th season...The previous 2 Mavs seasons where Dirk carried them alone.
I bet I forgot some, but I doubt Rondo can make the sucking Celtics a .500 team on his own.

I think this Boston team may very well be worse than those others you mentioned... believe it or not.

I also never called him Lebron or Kobe... lol

Me thinks this whole thread needs deleted.

I think this Boston team may very well be worse than those others you mentioned... believe it or not.

I also never called him Lebron or Kobe... lol

Me thinks this whole thread needs deleted.

UGLI wrote a superstar is a player who drastically alters the future of a team.
You answered you believe Rondo is a player who drastically changes a team -> basically saying he's a superstar.
Now I go front and compare him to other players I view as superstars and suddenly you don't want to view him in that category any longer?
Next years C's still have Gerald Wallace, Courtney Lee, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Jared Sullinger, Brandon Bass and Jeff Green. While most of them has horrible contracts, if you forget the $ they're still servicable or sometimes even good players. They're deep into the bench in quality and quantity. That's still way better than what Kobe had in 05/06 and 06/07 with Smush Parker and Luke Walton in the S5...He had positive records with his team in both seasons.

UGLI wrote a superstar is a player who drastically alters the future of a team.
You answered you believe Rondo is a player who drastically changes a team -> basically saying he's a superstar.
Now I go front and compare him to other players I view as superstars and suddenly you don't want to view him in that category any longer?
Next years C's still have Gerald Wallace, Courtney Lee, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Jared Sullinger, Brandon Bass and Jeff Green. While most of them has horrible contracts, if you forget the $ they're still servicable or sometimes even good players. They're deep into the bench in quality and quantity. That's still way better than what Kobe had in 05/06 and 06/07 with Smush Parker and Luke Walton in the S5...He had positive records with his team in both seasons.

First. Just because UGLI makes a random definition doesn't mean that I am suddenly beholden to it.
Second. You are a complete idiot if you think that Rondo is overrated if he isn't as good as Lebron or Kobe. Give me a break.

This is one of the most retorted arguments I've seen on here.

First. Just because UGLI makes a random definition doesn't mean that I am suddenly beholden to it.

Maybe you need to reread the jazzfanz rule book bro.

Section 3 chapter 4 in particular.

This post brought to you by UGLI baby

I guess it's best to leave it at that. We have both exchanged arguments and don't agree upon it. We'll see what happens when he plays again.

Now I'm not saying the guy doesn't have value. I'm saying he's overrated. Anyone averaging 11 assists in a season has value. And good value.

But we need a guy who is going to be able to make this shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDi0Ce_Z5w

Especially in this day and age. And Rondo just isn't going to.

Now I'm not saying the guy doesn't have value. I'm saying he's overrated. Anyone averaging 11 assists in a season has value. And good value.

But we need a guy who is going to be able to make this shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDi0Ce_Z5w

Especially in this day and age. And Rondo just isn't going to.

*confirmed*

This post brought to you by UGLI baby