What's new

Ranking the Clarkson trade

The mailman

So far this looks like an absolute gem of a trade - this guy adds so much to the team. He’s exactly what we needed. I also like Tucker very much. Solid, solid moves. It gives the team some much needed swagger, we seem to have a lot of guys playing with a chip on their shoulder now, playing like they have something to prove - from Rudy, to DM, to Clarkson to Mudiay and so on...

Once Conley comes back - and is utilized correctly - and once we trade a couple of guys benchwarmers for a half decent backup big - look out. Deepest team in the league. Extremely solid 9 man rotation.

Anyway, where does this rank on the alltime greatest Jazz trades?

I’m thinking...

1. DM
2. Rudy
3. Horny for Jeff Malone
4. Favors for DWill
5. Clarkson (if he stays) for... Exum!? Wow.

The first Korver trade was legit, and would have been better had we utilized him more. I think the Derek Fisher trade was underrated (if you separate it from what he did to us). It’s hard to compare draft day trades with player trades. I’ll think on this and get back to you.

The first Korver trade was legit, and would have been better had we utilized him more. I think the Derek Fisher trade was underrated (if you separate it from what he did to us). It’s hard to compare draft day trades with player trades. I’ll think on this and get back to you.

You mean, Gordan Giricek for Korver?

The DWill trade included:
- Derrick Favors
- 1st-rd pick that became Enes Kanter, later traded to OKC for a 1st-rd pick that the Jazz then traded to Minnesota for Ricky Rubio
- 1st-rd pick from the Warriors that became Rodney Hood, which the Jazz later traded to Cleveland for Jae Crowder.

So in the end, it was Derrick Favors, Ricky Rubio and Jae Crowder vs. the right to give DWill a $100M max extension, which became one of the worst contracts in the league at the time.

- Derrick Favors
- Pick that became Enes Kanter, later traded to OKC for a 1st-rd pick that the Jazz then traded to Minnesota for Ricky Rubio
- Pick from the Warriors that became Rodney Hood, which the Jazz later traded to Cleveland for Jae Crowder.

So in the end, it was Derrick Favors, Ricky Rubio and Jae Crowder vs. the right to give DWill a $100M max extension, which became one of the worst contracts in the league at the time.
None of which are here now, either. None of which proved to be important players to winning, nor did they win any individual accolades.

Deron Williams is a top-5 all-time player for the Jazz and did more than all of them combined while he was here. Get real.

By the way, you don't get the Deron-for-a-bunch-of-good-stuff trade without having Deron first.

None of which are here now. None of which proved to be winning players or win any individual accolades.

Deron Williams is a top-5 all-time player for the Jazz and did more than all of them combined while he was here. Get real.

By the way, you don't get the Deron-for-a-bunch-of-good-stuff trade without having Deron first.

Yeah, none of those players are here now. The DWill trade was 9 years ago. Nine. DWill did a lot with the Jazz, but go look what he did after the Jazz flipped him in the trade. The Jazz sold high on DWill. No regrets there.

No possible way to grade this trade after 3 games. While I do think he's going to consistently give us 14+ a night, things can turn on a dime. Hell, after a few games I thought Jeff Green was a terrific signing as he was hitting his shots and playing well.

None of which are here now, either. None of which proved to be important players to winning, nor did they win any individual accolades.

That's one way to look at it I guess. Another may be that each of those pieces ended up contributing to winning seasons, playoff runs and a franchise favorite player. Maybe the Jazz end up with greater success had we kept him, but I rather doubt it based on how his career ended up not long after we traded him.

That said I don't think I'd call it a all time great trade for the Jazz either.

Can you say premature?

I don’t think it’s premature at all.

We know exactly what we have in Clarkson. He’s not some unknown whose ceiling is unclear. He’s young, he can drop 20 from the bench, he looks like he wants to improve defensively, and he’s already establishing chemistry with the team. He may even contend for 6th player of the year. He’s a much better Rodney Hood, and a way way better Alec Burks.

This was a GREAT trade.

That's one way to look at it I guess. Another may be that each of those pieces ended up contributing to winning seasons playoff runs and a franchise favorite player. Maybe the Jazz end up with greater success had we kept him, but I rather doubt it based on how his career ended up not long after we traded him.
K, but if we're talking about where it ended up, the asset haul ended last offseason. And again, you don't get all of those players without having Deron first. And Deron was the engine to a perennial 50-win team for about half a decade. I'm honestly not even dogging on anyone, let's just appraise this realistically and logically.

Yeah, none of those players are here now. The DWill trade was 9 years ago. Nine. DWill did a lot with the Jazz, but go look what he did after the Jazz flipped him in the trade. The Jazz sold high on DWill. No regrets there.
K. The Jazz don't get the stuff without having Deron first.

K. The Jazz don't get the stuff without having Deron first.

So you would have rather had DWill at 100m for what ended up being Favors, Rubio and Crowder? That’s crazy talk.

The timing of it, and seeing how he just fell apart soon after, absolutely made this a solid trade.

So you would have rather had DWill at 100m for what ended up being Favors, Rubio and Crowder? That’s crazy talk.

The timing of it, and seeing how he just fell apart soon after, absolutely made this a solid trade.
I didn't say it wasn't a solid trade, because it was a solid trade. But you can't make a "but this became that" argument without acknowledging that we got Deron for nothing, and TRADING AWAY DERON CAN'T HAPPEN WITHOUT HAVING DERON.

I didn't say it wasn't a solid trade, because it was a solid trade. But you can't make a "but this became that" argument without acknowledging that we got Deron for nothing, and TRADING AWAY DERON CAN'T HAPPEN WITHOUT HAVING DERON.

Um... right... that’s why it’s called a trade. You give up something to get something.

Um... right... that’s why it’s called a trade. You give up something to get something.
I'm trying not to be condescending here, but you trying to be condescending when it appears you don't understand simple logic is comedic at best.