What's new

Ranking the Clarkson trade

That's a bad fix because if we didn't trade up one spot the consolation prize would have been CP3. Lost 3 firsts because we were afraid of being stuck with CP3? ****** decision there.

That's a bad fix because if we didn't trade up one spot the consolation prize would have been CP3. Lost 3 firsts because we were afraid of being stuck with CP3? ****** decision there.

We moved up 3 spots, no? The pick we traded became Martell Webster, not Chris Paul. Maybe I'm missing your point.

We wouldn't really have been stuck with him, he'd have forced his way to LA, and then his replacement would have done the same.

Okay, so maybe trading the #6 pick (Martell Webster) and #27 pick (Linas Kleiza) in the 2005 draft to Portland for the #3 pick (DWill) was a fleece of a trade. I see your point there.

I didn't say it wasn't a solid trade, because it was a solid trade. But you can't make a "but this became that" argument without acknowledging that we got Deron for nothing, and TRADING AWAY DERON CAN'T HAPPEN WITHOUT HAVING DERON.
I'd have to list DWill twice. Getting him in originally was a KOC gem. There was an acknowledged drop-off after DWill/Paul in draft talent. Jazz seemed to be positioned perfectly to get their choice of PG's...until they were jumped twice in the lottery. Being able to trade up was pivotal. Otherwise, the next best PG prospect was Felton. Absolute thievery of Portland, especially since Utah got who they had promised to select at #27 in the 2nd round anyway, CJ Miles - evidenced by Miller giving him a guaranteed deal and the equivalent money of a 1st round pick.

As for getting Favors and other assets, including Harris, it was a huge win. It was reported the Jazz tried to get a verbal promise out of Williams and his agent in multiple meetings that he'd sign for the max. Reportedly, he/his agent said he wanted to become a FA. Nothing was stated that he'd 100% leave, but there was no commitment to stay, either. Jazz did great in that trade. It was DL's bungling of picks and free agency, and the Sloan debacle, that then was unable to build on the team afterwards and resulted in an eventual rebuild.

IIRC, Williams was battling a sore wrist at the time of the trade, although he passed a physical. Jazz had hit a rough patch of games right before Sloan re-signed. And if you believe it or not, his resignation, at least in part, was reportedly due to him losing control of his PG and not having the support of management to discipline Williams. I doubt Deron would have stayed. And in hindsight, even had he remained healthy, the team was going nowhere under Ty.

So two big wins with Deron's name on them, IMO. First to draft him, second to get rid of him.

As for Clarkson, definitely a "win now" move, especially if Clarkson leaves as a FA. But Jazz essentially got their backup PG replacement in Mudiay for nothing. Not the defensive player Exum is/was, but Exum has been horrible offensively, even before he got injured. He just can't shoot. Hitting 30% on 3's is virtually unplayable as a guard in the NBA. Cleveland is viewing this as a salary dump, which is why they demanded two 2nd's.

Clarkson has been a huge part of the last two wins. Jazz drop the Clippers game without him. And he helped carry Utah against Detroit until the 4th quarter run put them away.

You need to combine this trade with the KK trade made last year. DL probably used his overpay in the KK trade last year to convince Cavs GM to let him win on this one

So far this looks like an absolute gem of a trade - this guy adds so much to the team. He’s exactly what we needed. I also like Tucker very much. Solid, solid moves. It gives the team some much needed swagger, we seem to have a lot of guys playing with a chip on their shoulder now, playing like they have something to prove - from Rudy, to DM, to Clarkson to Mudiay and so on...

Once Conley comes back - and is utilized correctly - and once we trade a couple of guys benchwarmers for a half decent backup big - look out. Deepest team in the league. Extremely solid 9 man rotation.

Anyway, where does this rank on the alltime greatest Jazz trades?

I’m thinking...

1. DM
2. Rudy
3. Horny for Jeff Malone
4. Favors for DWill
5. Clarkson (if he stays) for... Exum!? Wow.

Great post. We thought we were deep earlier this season but I think you're right.

Definitely a coup of a trade that filled an immediate need. Most of our other coups involved some development such as Gobert and Mitchell and D.Faves. Hornacek is the only other one that comes to mind, course that one did involve Jeff Malone AND a first round pick, but Horny stretched the floor for us and brought a presence. People may argue that Korver filled that kind of need maybe particularly the first time (we overpaid the second), but I don't think his impact was as immediate.