What's new

Ranking the Northwest division teams

cowhide

I got to thinking about the Jazz record and decided to look at the competition in their division. After looking at our divisional rivals rosters, I was pretty excited about the future and this season.

I certainly think the Jazz can hold their own with teams in the division. I am not that impressed with Denver and Portland. Jazz are not going to get swept this year by either of these teams and can be very competitive against them.

Recently we haven't played the greatest against T-Wolves except for the last game of the year (Ugh!) but they are just as young as we are. I think the Jazz and T-Wolves will be battle for the division title in a few years.

OKC is still at the top of the division as long as they have KD and Westbrook but their bench isn't as strong as it was and the Jazz have played them pretty tough at times.

Do I think the Jazz can win the division? NO! but I think they can be more competitive and they certainly have a chance to not to finish last. The Western Conference is brutal and getting better so any hope of the playoffs this year is out of the question but I think baby steps will be taken and the Jazz will finish third in the division. Thoughts?

I got to thinking about the Jazz record and decided to look at the competition in their division. After looking at our divisional rivals rosters, I was pretty excited about the future and this season.

I certainly think the Jazz can hold their own with teams in the division. I am not that impressed with Denver and Portland. Jazz are not going to get swept this year by either of these teams and can be very competitive against them.

Recently we haven't played the greatest against T-Wolves except for the last game of the year (Ugh!) but they are just as young as we are. I think the Jazz and T-Wolves will be battle for the division title in a few years.

OKC is still at the top of the division as long as they have KD and Westbrook but their bench isn't as strong as it was and the Jazz have played them pretty tough at times.

Do I think the Jazz can win the division? NO! but I think they can be more competitive and they certainly have a chance to not to finish last. The Western Conference is brutal and getting better so any hope of the playoffs this year is out of the question but I think baby steps will be taken and the Jazz will finish third in the division. Thoughts?

Preseason means nothing. The Blazers don't impress you? They are one of the better team in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Portland had no serious injuries last year, which is something Blazers' fans never thought they'd say. If LA or Lillard were to go down for a significant stretch of games, then that team slides fast. But, barring any injuries, they'll be back in the playoffs.

Denver will be better than last year. Gallo is back. The coaching transition is in its second year. Faried and Mozgov look improved. Lawson will win you games.

OKC is definitely the class of the division.

We'll be better than Minnesota.

Portland had no serious injuries last year, which is something Blazers' fans never thought they'd say. If LA or Lillard were to go down for a significant stretch of games, then that team slides fast. But, barring any injuries, they'll be back in the playoffs.

Denver will be better than last year. Gallo is back. The coaching transition is in its second year. Faried and Mozgov look improved. Lawson will win you games.

OKC is definitely the class of the division.

We'll be better than Minnesota.

Well stated, sir. I think we'll be able to beat anyone in the league if we're clicking on all cylinders, but with such a young squad I doubt we'll be able to play at that level consistently so if OKC, Portland and Denver are healthy I think they'd be favorites. Of those three, Denver is the only one I could see us finishing ahead of in a perfect world for this season. I think we win 35 games this year.

People are underestimating Denver this year. They had like 4 ACL tears last year (Nate Robinson, Wilson Chandler, Gallinari, Javale McGee). Shaw has another year of coaching experience, got Arron Afflalo in the offseason, and drafted Gary Harris and Jusuf Nurkic. Faried and Mozgov look like they improved a lot too.

People are underestimating Denver this year. They had like 4 ACL tears last year (Nate Robinson, Wilson Chandler, Gallinari, Javale McGee). Shaw has another year of coaching experience, got Arron Afflalo in the offseason, and drafted Gary Harris and Jusuf Nurkic. Faried and Mozgov look like they improved a lot too.

This. Gallo is one of the more underrated in the NBA and very underrated on defense.

News flash.

We will finish in the bottom two with the wolves.

1. okc
2. portland
3. denver
4-5 jazz wolves

I just think the West is so deep somebody has to be underestimated. Not to mention guys usually take a season to come back fully from ACL/MCL injuries. But I agree Denver could easily be in the running for a 4th playoff seed.

News flash.

We will finish in the bottom two with the wolves.

1. okc
2. portland
3. denver
4-5 jazz wolves

Agree. We can't get overly excited about two pre-season games.
I've seen nothing to change my prediction of 35 wins. What I DO think is that the Jazz will be very competitive in most games. But experience generally wins out in the end. This is a group on the rise, but it will take time.

Preseason means nothing. The Blazers don't impress you? They are one of the better team in the league.

I wasn't basing it on preseason. I look at their roster and their bench isn't anything to scream about. I think they can be beaten, something we didn't do last year. Can the Jazz pass them, perhaps not but in a couple of years I can see us beating them. I would be surprised if we did this year but I picked us third in the division not because I necessary think we can or will take third. I am just saying that the best case scenario is that Utah can finish 3rd. Denver and Portland have talent but the difference isn't so great that Utah can't find ways to beat them.

I wasn't basing it on preseason. I look at their roster and their bench isn't anything to scream about. I think they can be beaten, something we didn't do last year. Can the Jazz pass them, perhaps not but in a couple of years I can see us beating them. I would be surprised if we did this year but I picked us third in the division not because I necessary think we can or will take third. I am just saying that the best case scenario is that Utah can finish 3rd. Denver and Portland have talent but the difference isn't so great that Utah can't find ways to beat them.

We are light years behind Portland. They have two all world legitimate superstars. Would it surprise me if we beat them once or twice, no. But come on. We aren't even close. They will win over 50 games in the west while we are in the 30-40 range.

KD is out 2 months it looks like... Could open the door a little bit wider for us to come bursting through!

Not really. That's still a top team and they'll be extra motivated to 1) keep their heads above water so that when KD returns they will still have a good shot at a top seed and 2) the hole KD leaves will be a big bright opportunity for a couple guys that would be completely in KD's shadow if he were healthy.

I mean, they're projected to be #1 in the NW. You think KD being out 2 months will cause them to fall to 4th or 5th?

I mean, they're projected to be #1 in the NW. You think KD being out 2 months will cause them to fall to 4th or 5th?

No, just some good ole fashion Sunday morning grandiose delusions. Thanks for pissing in my cereal though! :)

I am interested to see if Perry Jones can produce at all. He's got all the tools and physical gifts to be an impact player, but hasn't quite shown the ability to put it together. NBA is all about opportunity so we'll see if he takes advantage.

Without Durant OKC will be suck their first games... Dude is scoring at will and getting star calls every time some one is striping...