What's new

Ransom to Iran

Regardless of what they call it, imo there was clearly quid pro quo going on. So it does encourage others to take Americans hostage, rather than the opposite which is the point of the "no ransom" policy.

The Obama Administration is going crazy trying to spin this thing but the optics are terrible. Why did they transfer it in physical cash? Why did we they keep it a secret (not even informing Congress until after the fact)? Why did it happen on the same day the hostages were released? Why are the Iranians characterizing it as a ransom payment? Was this flight insured? For how much? What did they claim that the cargo was (for insurance purposes)? What has the money been used for?

I don't see how this can possibly be spun into a positive.

The Obama Administration is going crazy trying to spin this thing but the optics are terrible. Why did they transfer it in physical cash? Why did we they keep it a secret (not even informing Congress until after the fact)? Why did it happen on the same day the hostages were released? Why are the Iranians characterizing it as a ransom payment? Was this flight insured? For how much? What did they claim that the cargo was (for insurance purposes)? What has the money been used for?

I don't see how this can possibly be spun into a positive.

They're done.

This is exactly why we need a strong commander in chief. Romney warned you all to increase military spending so this stuff would not happen.
Trump will fix this mess Obamination has put us in. $400000000 could have gone a long ways. Obama can not take care of are vets but he can find $400000000 to give to his Muslim terrorist buddies.

At least Reagan called it like it was. He was wrong but he owned it.
And please don't drag this back into a partisan debate.

It's a matter of right and wrong, lies and truths, regardless of political persuasion.
He initially either didn't know, or tried to cover up what had happened. It did major damage to his presidency and eventually he owned it, as you said. Regardless, it seems bizarre that anyone would bring up Reagan's actions in that event as justification for this one.

https://on.cfr.org/2aCBQ9h

In case ppl forget what deal Reagan striked with Iran for a total of ZERO US hostages

How dare you?
President Reagan was a great man. He defeated the communists got that bloody wall torn down an lowered taxes. He is probably the most humanitarian president since Lincoln. He practically invented are current foreign policy of fighting without firing a single bullet.

Even if the cash sent to Iran was exchanged for hostages, the Reagan administration sold Iran weapons to free hostages. Oliver North and his cronies Eliot and Poindexter then turned around to use the proceeds to illegally fund the Contras. If you think North, Poindexter, and Reagan are heroes, but Obama's a villain, you're being biased. That's what I'm speaking on, here.

Even if the cash sent to Iran was exchanged for hostages, the Reagan administration sold Iran weapons to free hostages. Oliver North and his cronies Eliot and Poindexter then turned around to use the proceeds to illegally fund the Contras. If you think North, Poindexter, and Reagan are heroes, but Obama's a villain, you're being biased. That's what I'm speaking on, here.

It's mostly aimed towards Joe who slams everything Obama related (seemingly) yet ppl worship Reagan.

Obama is allowed to be critiqued, and I do so regularly. But perspective is important too

I think its important to understand that the $400 million is money we owed Iran. We had a deal with the Shah to sell them some fighter planes in the seventies. He paid but since he was deposed we never delivered the jets.

This payment and the release of US citizens were all a part of the larger framework of the Iran Nuclear Treaty.

Treating this as some outrageous scandal is a great way to out yourself as a partisan hack :)

It's mostly aimed towards Joe who slams everything Obama related (seemingly) yet ppl worship Reagan.

Obama is allowed to be critiqued, and I do so regularly. But perspective is important too
Reagan's arms for hostages deal was wrong. The Contra deal was wrong. He is not a hero for either of those situations. He should not have done either of them and he eventually had to face up to that fact.

If the US owed Iran money it should not have been paid secretly in unmarked bills, no matter what. Obama bragged about how transparent his administration was going to be. It has been anything but transparent, and this is yet another in a long, long line of examples.

I think its important to understand that the $400 million is money we owed Iran. We had a deal with the Shah to sell them some fighter planes in the seventies. He paid but since he was deposed we never delivered the jets.

This payment and the release of US citizens were all a part of the larger framework of the Iran Nuclear Treaty.

Treating this as some outrageous scandal is a great way to out yourself as a partisan hack :)
Please send me a plane load of unmarked bills.