What's new

Raptors Considering Trading 8th Pick - GET IT DONE

AKistheFEARFACTOR

*edit: i'd like to take the get it done out of the title :p

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221320/Raptors_Will_Consider_Trading_Draft_Pick
------
Bryan Colangelo may be interested in trading Toronto’s lottery pick in next month’s draft in order to bring some proven talent to his roster.

“Obviously if there’s a transaction that warrants moving the pick, we’ll consider that but we’re not actively shopping it,” Colangelo said after league’s draft lottery.

“It’s all going to be a matter of what’s on the board and as you know, the $12 million of flexibility that we have … gives us some options to take on contract,” he said. “It may be committing some or all of the cap space moving forward. We would consider doing that and if it was the right player, a player of a significant caliber, then we would obviously consider upping the ante by including the pick if necessary.”

The Raptors are slotted to pick eighth in the draft.

“Clearly at eight, it expands it (the draft pool) exponentially but that’s what we do,” Colengelo said. “We’ve had a good pulse of this draft. With the lockout-shortened season we had the opportunity to get out and see a lot of games and we’ll take advantage of that now.”

“We actually like this selection at eight,” he said. “Just through some of the preliminary work that we’ve done here over the last four weeks, we’ve walked out of a lot of gyms excited about what we’ve seen.”
--------

Seems we should trade one of our expiring contracts, Jefferson or Millsap for the 8th pick. Lillard or Marshall should fall to us considering the teams before us are:

3 Wash - Wall
4 Cleveland - Irving
5 Sac - Just got Fredette
6 Portland - May take one of the two PGs
7 GSW - Curry
then the 8th pick...

They've got 11 mil in cap space so something along the lines of

Jefferson for Kleiza, the 8th, and a future pick? Kleiza is a fairly streaky 3 point shooter. Haven't seen him play too much but give me yalls thoughts. Don't bash too hard hehe.

I don't really understand how we make it work, so I'll wait for a much smarter board member to lay out a plausible trade.

(that doesn't mean you, utahjazz107)

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221320/Raptors_Will_Consider_Trading_Draft_Pick
------

--------

Seems we should trade one of our expiring contracts, Jefferson or Millsap for the 8th pick. Lillard or Marshall should fall to us considering the teams before us are:

3 Wash - Wall
4 Cleveland - Irving
5 Sac - Just got Fredette
6 Portland - May take one of the two PGs
7 GSW - Curry
then the 8th pick...

They've got 11 mil in cap space so something along the lines of

Jefferson for Kleiza, the 8th, and a future pick? Kleiza is a fairly streaky 3 point shooter. Haven't seen him play too much but give me yalls thoughts. Don't bash too hard hehe.

Sorry, but in your dreams. I could see them taking milsap and a 2nd or two. Milsap next to JV would be a pretty good tandem. They also need a PG so not sure why they are looking to move.

Has Toronto ever signed any American FAs that weren't already on the roster?
Do any American players want to willingly play in Canada?
Toronto seems like a very tough sell for American players.

https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7rmk8nb
We get the Raptors 8th pick in the draft also

Raptors were rumored to trade either Amir Johnson or Ed Davis. We take on Amir Johnson's contract (3 years left). Raptors have also been rumored to trade Calderon and Harris has more value and is younger.

Maybe give the Raptors the choice to swap with us next year if its needed (Golden State or keep there pick)

Sign Brandon Rush 5 Mil a year contract

Send Raja Bell homes but don't waive him unless he accepts half of his salary.

Calderon - Lillard(8th pick) - Watson
Rush - Burks
Hayward - Carroll
Millsap - Johnson
Favors - Kanter

In any trade were we aren't taking bad contracts back, teams are going to demand Millsap instead of Jefferson.

I'm quite the fan of Calderon. His assist/TO ratio is great. He was top 5 in assists last year, plus he wrecked for me in fantasy hoops. If we had him he could get all our youngins involved in the offense.

Do you think Raptors would really prefer Millsap to AJ? Bargnani is already floating around the 3 point line.

Yes, I think everyone would prefer Millsap because he is very versatile in how he fits in with a team. Jefferson is a very specific player and, as we have witnessed firsthand, can be difficult to incorporate into an offense.

I would think that Jefferson + GS pick for Kleiza (or a worse contract)+ 8 could get it done. That's where I think the GS pick will actually be most valuable, as an addition to a trade for a draft pick this year.

I would think that Jefferson + GS pick for Kleiza (or a worse contract)+ 8 could get it done. That's where I think the GS pick will actually be most valuable, as an addition to a trade for a draft pick this year.

I just don't see how Jefferson fits with them long-term. Millsap gives them the option to let him expire, or bring him back as part of a potentially good 3 big rotation of Sap/Jonas/Bargs, where you can pretty much play any combination of them together. You don't have that versatility with Jefferson.

I just don't see how Jefferson fits with them long-term. Millsap gives them the option to let him expire, or bring him back as part of a potentially good 3 big rotation of Sap/Jonas/Bargs, where you can pretty much play any combination of them together. You don't have that versatility with Jefferson.

I don't think that they are looking long term. Taking on a contract like Jefferson that is expiring after this next year gives them a lot of options after next season.

That would be a very nice combination actually. They could even play Sap at SF depending on the matchups.

I don't think that they are looking long term. Taking on a contract like Jefferson that is expiring after this next year gives them a lot of options after next season.

Taking on Millsap's gives them the same options, plus the added option of keeping Millsap.