What's new

Rate coach Q

How is QS doing so far?

• Total voters
Jazz Defense is right about 24th in the league, which is a significant upgrade from our DEAD LAST of last year. Especially since we shed most of our veterans and are going with players mostly under age 24. How many people thought we were going to magically transform from the worst defense in the league to above average in a little over a month? Who thought that it could happen while at the same time completely retooling the offense to something that actually looked like professional basketball? I'm over the moon with what Quinn has done. and expect things to only get better, especially as our 19 year old "face of the franchise" develops further along. It's crazy how some people think that you can just flip a switch from outright tanking to being at least a mid tier NBA team. That ain't happening in the Western Conference without hiring a top tier free agent. The problem is that there is a good chance THAT approach will buy you treadmill status like it most likely has for Sacramento.
I know the plan, I'm down with the plan, and I'll be patient.

I put slightly better than average, which is good for a rookie head coach. He'll get a lot better as our team gets better as well. Hard to really judge him when our guys don't do what he is asking them to do.

After last night's performance, I would rather have Alex Jensen as the HC. Can you imagine a Sloan team playing that bad a defense? Me neither.

Sloan talked a lot about defense, but those Boozer/Memo/Deron teams were not that great on defense. Also, defense takes a lot longer than an offense to get good. We have a pretty great offensive system, probably borderline top 5 in the league, but our defense is slowly improving. From dead last the previous season, up about 5-6 spots right now, and that should get better as the season goes on. Especially if we find a way to get Gobert more minutes.

Jazz Defense is right about 24th in the league, which is a significant upgrade from our DEAD LAST of last year.
According to what metric? Points/game? That's the only one I managed to find where we are 24th(102.7). That's a bad metric to use because it doesn't take into consideration pace. Last year we were actually 18th in that one(102.2), not last...

In defensive efficiency we were last at 109.1 last year and we are 28th this year at worse efficiency of 110. In other words - we are worse than last year, but there are 2 teams that are doing even worse than that.

In defensive rating last year we were second to last at 111.3. We are second to last this year as well at 113.3. Again, worse than last year.

At opponent FG% we were last last year at .473. We are 28th this year at .477... again... worse than last year.

About the rest of your post - you make some good points and I agree with some of them... To me personnel has a lot to do with the defense we are playing.

Jazz Defense is right about 24th in the league, which is a significant upgrade from our DEAD LAST of last year. Especially since we shed most of our veterans and are going with players mostly under age 24. How many people thought we were going to magically transform from the worst defense in the league to above average in a little over a month? Who thought that it could happen while at the same time completely retooling the offense to something that actually looked like professional basketball? I'm over the moon with what Quinn has done. and expect things to only get better, especially as our 19 year old "face of the franchise" develops further along. It's crazy how some people think that you can just flip a switch from outright tanking to being at least a mid tier NBA team. That ain't happening in the Western Conference without hiring a top tier free agent. The problem is that there is a good chance THAT approach will buy you treadmill status like it most likely has for Sacramento.
I agree

I think we will be alot better at the end of the year than we are now.

I'm not too worried. I believe we have alot of talent and it will come together under snyder eventually

I call him Coach Cringe Snyder for every out of bounds play gives me dry heaves. Defense is worst in league. How he cannot win with Hayward putting up all stars numbers? He is like twice player he is last year and finally the leader we need. Cringe is like leech sucking lifeblood out of these improvements.

I vote this post as post of the year. Great post.

WAY too early to judge Snyder. I will say, just from an eye test, that the offense is MUCH improved. There is actually ball movement. Jazz are getting plenty of open shots. Problem is, players just can't hit them, especially 3's. Our overall FG% is 46,1% compared to 47.7% for opponents. However, Jazz' 3PT shooting is just 32.8% compared to giving up 38.5%. Not counting Novak and Clark, who rarely play, Hayward leads the team at 38.3% and Burks is at 35%. For an offense that stresses inside buckets or 3PT shots, the Jazz simply need players who can hit behind the arc.

As for defense, I think we know where the problems lie. But Exum and Gobert are simply not ready to start. And, to a lesser extent, Jazz might be better finding a "3 and D" wing and bringing Alec off the bench. Not all problems can be fixed in a year's time. Count on us getting a solid player in the draft and adding at least one quality free agent (or via trade).

Last edited:
Currently he's average. That said, I still support him. Even Mr. Sloan had a ****ty first season.

Pretty sweet coach, man.

HatefulBruisedBantamrooster.gif

Better than average to begin the season. Probably top-10 now. Every player has improved. He's instilled a fighter's mentality into the team...even before Rudy took over in the middle. From his WAKE UP! to his stare downs, he hasn't been afraid to take charge. Yet at the same time he yanks a player out, you see him then talking to that player, instructing him on what he should be doing instead.

#1 I wouldn't ask for another coach in the league. I think by the time he retires he'll go down as greater than Jerry with at least one ring. Hes turned this team into a powerhouse overnight off draft picks and role players.

He will have climbed in most peoples estimations. But it remains to be seen exactly how much of our recent success is him or just the emergence of a few players surprising everyone.

He will have climbed in most peoples estimations. But it remains to be seen exactly how much of our recent success is him or just the emergence of a few players surprising everyone.

But if they emerge they are emerging from his womb. They could have emerged under Corbin, but for whatever reason didn't. Now, all of the sudden (all of the sudden is a pet peeve phrase of mine, but anyway), players are "emerging" all over the place, all at once. Is that because they were all coincidentally set to emerge at the same time or because they have all been given the proper stimulus by our new coach?

I know which option I'm hoping for.

But if they emerge they are emerging from his womb. They could have emerged under Corbin, but for whatever reason didn't. Now, all of the sudden (all of the sudden is a pet peeve phrase of mine, but anyway), players are "emerging" all over the place, all at once. Is that because they were all coincidentally set to emerge at the same time or because they have all been given the proper stimulus by our new coach?

I know which option I'm hoping for.

Good point. The best managers spend their time removing roadblocks for their people, giving them the right tools, then getting out of their way so they can do their jobs.

Honestly, he's probably top 5 (in my homeristic view). You could see the team start to get its swagger back at the beginning the season. Once they bought into the system, it got better. Once they dumped a productive player, they set the cruise control and are playing like a Championship-caliber team. Granted, some of this is the emergence of Gobert along with Favors and Hayward hitting their strides.

But Gobert doesn't get that chance without the maestro giving him minute despite said productive player probably being a *****.

Favors doesn't get this steady without the genius figuring out how to use him.

Hayward doesn't justify his contract without the man helping him prove his "point".

No orchestra plays without a conductor. He might be slightly crazy, but what the Jazz have done, to go from being terrorized to becoming terrors? What has happened is remarkable and kind of scary.

Thanks Coach Q and thank you Jazz.

Are you kidding me. He took the team that finished dead last in defense to the best defensive team since the all star break. He is the best coach in the league and should win COTY. Yea, I said it, he is the best coach and DL is a wizard.

I think what he's done with this team is nothing short of phenomenal, but lets see how he manages to keep this success going for a couple of seasons before anointing him top 5.