What's new

Re: Exum; it’s time to **** or get off the pot

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
I don’t care what the resolution is. Either commit to him or get rid of him. One or the other. All signs point to DL being infatuated with him. All signs point to Quin not liking him. It’s obvious on both accounts. Painfully ****ing obvious. Those aren’t ideas that can be reconciled. Either Quin needs to acquiesce and put to bed all these ideas about Exum being in our future plans that the FO keeps trotting our through their surrogates, or the FO needs to stop trying to save face, stop putting out spin, and ****ing move him. There’s no way to reconcile the idea that the FO really likes him and thinks he’s special with the reality that he isn’t in the rotation. If somebody is that big a part of your plan, as you allege, you don’t wait for them to somehow magically end up in the rotation — you make it happen. All actions of the FO indicated that they really believe all the smoke they blow about him. The actions of Quin absolutely indicate that he does not feel the same way. People struggle with these dichotomous approaches and want to believe they’re actually in harmony by trying to use the injury excuse to bridge the gap. Yeah, he’s been injured. Yeah, they want to be cautious. Yeah, he needs to be brought along slowly. As much as I’m not an Exum believer, I call ******** and the charade needs to end. People fail to recognize how large the sample size is for Quin not GAF about Exum and his “immense potential,” as Tony Jones put it four days ago. Again, if that’s the approach, then whatever — I don’t care. But to continue to suggest that somehow the FO and coaching staff are all on the same page and that this bizarre saga is all part of some genius plan that our feeble, finite minds can’t even comprehend is completely ****ing stupid.

So the surrogates can continue to waive their ****ing hands, saying there’s nothing to see here, while still propping up the hype coming out of the FO’s *** about his potential, and continue some bizarre rationalization about DNPs. It’s them in that unfortunate, awkward position, and the rest of us can sit here and be talked down to from the ivory towers about some genius plan that nobody can articulate and there’s literally no precedent for.

But let’s keep the ****ing roster the same and not reset the clock on the time needed to let the bench gel.

I don’t care what the resolution is. Either commit to him or get rid of him. One or the other. All signs point to DL being infatuated with him. All signs point to Quin not liking him. It’s obvious on both accounts. Painfully ****ing obvious. Those aren’t ideas that can be reconciled. Either Quin needs to acquiesce and put to bed all these ideas about Exum being in our future plans that the FO keeps trotting our through their surrogates, or the FO needs to stop trying to save face, stop putting out spin, and ****ing move him. There’s no way to reconcile the idea that the FO really likes him and thinks he’s special with the reality that he isn’t in the rotation. If somebody is that big a part of your plan, as you allege, you don’t wait for them to somehow magically end up in the rotation — you make it happen. All actions of the FO indicated that they really believe all the smoke they blow about him. The actions of Quin absolutely indicate that he does not feel the same way. People struggle with these dichotomous approaches and want to believe they’re actually in harmony by trying to use the injury excuse to bridge the gap. Yeah, he’s been injured. Yeah, they want to be cautious. Yeah, he needs to be brought along slowly. As much as I’m not an Exum believer, I call ******** and the charade needs to end. People fail to recognize how large the sample size is for Quin not GAF about Exum and his “immense potential,” as Tony Jones put it four days ago. Again, if that’s the approach, then whatever — I don’t care. But to continue to suggest that somehow the FO and coaching staff are all on the same page and that this bizarre saga is all part of some genius plan that our feeble, finite minds can’t even comprehend is completely ****ing stupid.

So the surrogates can continue to waive their ****ing hands, saying there’s nothing to see here, while still propping up the hype coming out of the FO’s *** about his potential, and continue some bizarre rationalization about DNPs. It’s them in that unfortunate, awkward position, and the rest of us can sit here and be talked down to from the ivory towers about some genius plan that nobody can articulate and there’s literally no precedent for.

But let’s keep the ****ing roster the same and not reset the clock on the time needed to let the bench gel.

He is just taking up funds and a roster spot. Get rid of him and get some pieces that can actually contribute

Exum and Jazz is like that bad marriage. You know you made mistake but you do not want to pay child support so you are suffering until kids are adults. Except Jazz already comitted to pay Exum all that money, except there is some clause saving them money based on the games played. So maybe that's what it all boils down to... let him sit on pretend that he is not healthy enough and not pay him those bonuses.
I do not know, situation in general is sad. Conley is out, what would be a better chance then to either play him and show if he can do something or at least raise his trade value? Is he really not fit enough?

Maybe, he's not getting minutes because they are planning on seeing if they can get ANYTHING for him at the deadline and don't want him getting injured?

It's the only explanation that makes sense, because of the following:

1. The Jazz need size, length and rebounding - Exum has all of these (especially for his position).
2. The Jazz need the players to learn their system, Exum already knows it, and plays PG, but can't get on the floor.
3. The Jazz need defense, and team play - Exum has these, and had developed a pretty good lob to Gobert.

Yet, despite all of this, he can't get on the floor, and has not cracked the rotation. This tells me two things. First, the Jazz are investing in developing Emmanuel Mudiay and consider any invested team effort and energy into making him a better player - something that is going to pay more dividends than investing in Dante Exum. Second, while the Jazz might want to give Exum big minutes as a way to raise his trade stock by him hopefully putting up good numbers - the risk of re-injury is too great. I expect them to trade Exum for something that is going to be really underwhelming (e.g. late second-round pick).

I also wouldn't rule out his agent privately demanding a trade (possibly for years now) and that may be why he has always sat out every time he has a tummy ache or sore finger.

Time will tell.

Maybe, he's not getting minutes because they are planning on seeing if they can get ANYTHING for him at the deadline and don't want him getting injured?

It's the only explanation that makes sense, because of the following:

1. The Jazz need size, length and rebounding - Exum has all of these (especially for his position).
2. The Jazz need the players to learn their system, Exum already knows it, and plays PG, but can't get on the floor.
3. The Jazz need defense, and team play - Exum has these, and had developed a pretty good lob to Gobert.

Yet, despite all of this, he can't get on the floor, and has not cracked the rotation. This tells me two things. First, the Jazz are investing in developing Emmanuel Mudiay and consider any invested team, effort and energy into making him a better player - something that is going to pay more dividends than investing in Dante Exum. Second, while the Jazz might want to give Exum big minutes as a way to raise his trade stock by him hopefully putting up good numbers - the risk of re-injury is too great. I expect them to trade Exum for something that is going to be really underwhelming (e.g. late second-round pick).

Time will tell.
They’ve really proved that they don’t operate like that, though. And anyone giving up something want to see that he’s healthy enough to play, at least. Though you could argue that they’re playing it close to the vest, when Woj and TJ go out saying the Jazz aren’t looking for anything and that they don’t even make phone calls, I think it’s wise to take them at their word and that it is likely a pretty good representation of where we’re at — not just with Exum but in general.

They’ve really proved that they don’t operate like that, though. And anyone giving up something want to see that he’s healthy enough to play, at least. Though you could argue that they’re playing it close to the vest, when Woj and TJ go out saying the Jazz aren’t looking for anything and that they don’t even make phone calls, I think it’s wise to take them at their word and that it is likely a pretty good representation of where we’re at — not just with Exum but in general.

In our minds they are plotting every move right now like a chess master... mapping out when to play him so he performs well and they can move him. They are calling every team to gauge interest and recording every word for when it is time to strike...

In reality they are sitting in their offices playing sudoku waiting for the phone to ring.

I'm not sure why you do this to yourself... If he plays and shows any signs of improvement/potential then DL is able to justify keeping him around and maybe that #5 pick doesn't look so bad and he can rub our faces in it... If he plays and sucks his value gets even lower... If he plays and gets hurt (I don't think its an if) then he hurts his value even more.

Exum is a bad investment that we now can either stop feeding cash to and cut our losses... we might just be stuck with him because there is no way out, so we need to wait for the market to recover (he's expiring next year and has value as an expiring contract)… there aren't good options and the scenario that would create some good options would actually embolden those in power to keep feeding the bad investment...

Long story short... Exum ain't going anywhere this year

I'm not sure why you do this to yourself... If he plays and shows any signs of improvement/potential then DL is able to justify keeping him around and maybe that #5 pick doesn't look so bad and he can rub our faces in it... If he plays and sucks his value gets even lower... If he plays and gets hurt (I don't think its an if) then he hurts his value even more.

Exum is a bad investment that we now can either stop feeding cash to and cut our losses... we might just be stuck with him because there is no way out, so we need to wait for the market to recover (he's expiring next year and has value as an expiring contract)… there aren't good options and the scenario that would create some good options would actually embolden those in power to keep feeding the bad investment...

Long story short... Exum ain't going anywhere this year
True, but I wish we’d stop doing the song and dance. Let’s stop pretending. Don’t insult our intelligence. If there’s some acknowledgment of “hey, it didn’t work out and **** happens,” then I’m totally cool with it and we move on. But don’t refuse to play the guy and then send out the surrogates to do damage control and insist the guy is part of your plans and that he has some tantalizing potential and can still be special.

You don’t have to say anything negative. Just stop pushing the hype. That’s I’m honestly all I ask for.

Everytime I see the cameras on him I want to just kick him down, then I fear that my thought of this will injure him.

True, but I wish we’d stop doing the song and dance. Let’s stop pretending. Don’t insult our intelligence. If there’s some acknowledgment of “hey, it didn’t work out and **** happens,” then I’m totally cool with it and we move on. But don’t refuse to play the guy and then send out the surrogates to do damage control and insist the guy is part of your plans and that he has some tantalizing potential and can still be special.

You don’t have to say anything negative. Just stop pushing the hype. That’s I’m honestly all I ask for.

I think you don't know what you want and you are frustrated. Tony is the surrogate I think you are referring too... I think he's just stubborn and going to go down with the ship on Exum... he's kind of a contrarian and hates speculating on player movement.

IDK what you want... I'm not sure what we should do with Exum... honestly I'd rather see Bradley or Brantley join the rotation because I'm one of the guys that says Mudiay is actually fine. Its frustrating for all of us...Dante lovers...Dante haters... Jazz fans who want to see the kid play or get out of our lives... I declare this a safe space to just get all your frustrations out. No judgement zone... let them all out.

I think you don't know what you want and you are frustrated. Tony is the surrogate I think you are referring too... I think he's just stubborn and going to go down with the ship on Exum... he's kind of a contrarian and hates speculating on player movement.

IDK what you want... I'm not sure what we should do with Exum... honestly I'd rather see Bradley or Brantley join the rotation because I'm one of the guys that says Mudiay is actually fine. Its frustrating for all of us...Dante lovers...Dante haters... Jazz fans who want to see the kid play or get out of our lives... I declare this a safe space to just get all your frustrations out. No judgement zone... let them all out.

I would have shared my frustrations regardless of your declarations lol ;P

I would have shared my frustrations regardless of your declarations lol ;P
And I will not judge you here... do it in another thread and you have no promise.

This thread should be the Exum therapy couch... everyone can say what they want... I won't even judge the Exum lovers for their blind faith that he is good and their hatred of Quin for intentionally ruining his career.

There are four options. One is what they’re currently doing, which I think is the only absolutely terrible option. Here are the other three:

1. Play him.
2. Trade him.
3. Keep him and don’t play him but stop trying to save face by hyping him or continuing to push the idea of how important he is to the future and how he can still be special.

Literally the worst option is this incongruent mess of hyping him while simultaneously DNPing him.

There are four options. One is what they’re currently doing, which I think is the only absolutely terrible option. Here are the other three:

1. Play him.
2. Trade him.
3. Keep him and don’t play him but stop trying to save face by hyping him or continuing to push the idea of how important he is to the future and how he can still be special.

Literally the worst option is this incongruent mess of hyping him while simultaneously DNPing him.

4. Hire hitmen.

1. Play him.
2. Trade him.

Yup. This has been the case since the shelvin Mack **** show. Why tf would you keep and pay a guy you think has unique qualities if you refuse to actually commit to developing him. This latest weird scenario is just .... bizarre. He needs to go play for someone like Steve Kerr or Scott Brooks who’ll let him run wild for 40 games. I really hope this doesn’t go on much longer