What's new

Re: Exum; it’s time to **** or get off the pot

Exum will get his chance again. He looked terrible conditioning wise so it's probably the reason Quin doesn't go to him yet but he can play SG to Donovan and Ingles with the bench unit. With Conley back, Ingles and Mitchell can sub out early and play with the bench. Especially if Davis and Bradley continue to suck and Morgan establishes himself as a pop option.

His 1-3 defense would be helpful there and there would be more spacing in that line-up.

But this also feels grasping at line-ups so Exum can play and why would Quin do that? He will get his chance, though and it's up to him to play well in whatever line-up.

Considering that Exum is virtually unplayable in the second unit, that he has very good lob chemistry with Gobert, and that Joe is playing too many minutes, I propose the following:

Sub Joe at the 6:00 minute mark in the first quarter for Exum, who then plays for about the next three, which ensures that someone remains in the lineup to feed Gobert while he is in, then sub out Exum for Mudiay. Then sub Exum in either for Mudiay, or when Gobert checks back in for about another three minutes. Then bench Exum at the 6:00 minute mark in the 2nd quarter for Joe. This means he basically plays 12 minutes a game and that they come from Joe. This ensures Dante’s skill set isn’t as duplicitous, his weaknesses don’t bump into everyone else’s, and he’s not too relied upon either, setting him up for success if such a thing is to occur.

That’s the only scenario that makes sense to me. I would like to see Exum get minutes and/or shipped out just like everyone else since keeping him benched is really just embarrassing for everyone, at best.

Considering that Exum is virtually unplayable in the second unit, that he has very good lob chemistry with Gobert, and that Joe is playing too many minutes, I propose the following:

Sub Joe at the 6:00 minute mark in the first quarter for Exum, who then plays for about the next three, which ensures that someone remains in the lineup to feed Gobert while he is in, then sub out Exum for Mudiay. Then sub Exum in either for Mudiay, or when Gobert checks back in for about another three minutes. Then bench Exum at the 6:00 minute mark in the 2nd quarter for Joe. This means he basically plays 12 minutes a game and that they come from Joe. This ensures Dante’s skill set isn’t as duplicitous, his weaknesses don’t bump into everyone else’s, and he’s not too relied upon either, setting him up for success if such a thing is to occur.

That’s the only scenario that makes sense to me. I would like to see Exum get minutes and/or shipped out just like everyone else since keeping him benched is really just embarrassing for everyone, at best.

That makes sense but it gives me some heartburn because of Mudiay being the only positive bench player atm... don't want to yank his minutes around much. Exum is just such an awkward fit right now and any way you get him on the court it has a low likelihood of team success. Maybe he does really well in garbage time tonight... I expect us to get taken to the woodshed tonight.

I really wonder what they are seeing in practices from Exum that's making them so hesitant to play him. I think Andy Larsen mentioned something about it. By the sound of it he's maybe regressed?

Could be there's some psychological issue he's working through like the yips or something.

If it is the yips then playing for Quin is never going to work. He looks at the bench every mistake he makes. That is not conducive for getting right mentally. He's too uptight to effectively play. Maybe he doesn't have the skills to play in the NBA but I doubt anyone ever knows until he plays under someone else. Either that or he and coach have a relationship none of us understand and Dante fully trusts him. (I seriously doubt that theory.) Either way, I hope at some point he either gets right with our program or is shipped elsewhere, even if it's overseas.

Okay.

The extra layer is that Exum needs to play with other good players and him playing with this bench is horrific.

He and Mudiay sharing the floor is a very bad idea, but Mudiay is much better. Davis’ man plays free safety, as does Mudiay’s very frequently when Mudiay doesn’t have the ball. As is the case when Dante doesn’t have the ball. Because of the serious limitations of the bench, iso scoring and spacing is valuable, neither of which Dante provides any of.

Nothing Dante provides is worth a **** given the composition of the roster. He’s not a forward, he’s not a center, he isn’t a spacer, and he can’t generate shots.

Exum needing to play with other good players is a fair point, but I'm not so sure that's an absolute or universal statement.

I've seen flashes from Exum. I've been in his corner and have been a fan of him. I've felt bad for him and his injuries and have no clue why we signed him. I'm even more clueless because we don't play him.

I might be that Dante is a different ball player after all of his injuries both physically and mentally. I hope the kid the best, just wish we could see him get to build his confidence back up. I still think he has some room for development.

The whole situation with his career is just sad and frustrating.

Last edited:
Exum needing to play with other good players is a fair point, but I'm not so sure that's an absolute or universal statement.

I've seen flashes from Exum. I've been in his corner and have been a fan of him. I've felt bad for him and his injuries and have no clue why we signed him. I'm even more clueless because we don't play him.

I would be Dante is a different ball player after all of his injuries both physically and mentally. I hope the kid the best, just wish we could see him get to build his confidence back up. I still think he has some room for development.

The whole situation with his career is just sad and frustrating.

I've seen flashes for Exum too but it was diarrhea basketball play

Either that or he and coach have a relationship none of us understand and Dante fully trusts him. (I seriously doubt that theory.)
It’d the most asinine of any of the theories, yet it’s the company line.

I mean, it’s like Donovan in a boot all summer. The spent so much time deflecting and saying there was nothing to see, only to have one year later it be part of the new narrative of why you should be excited — because Donovan wasn’t in a boot all summer. Yet all that speculation and rumors they absolutely hated, but they completely fueled those by being as opaque as possible. Now, I get in a competitive arena that sometimes total transparency isn’t good for what you’re trying to achieve — that’s fine. All I’d like is a modicum of translucency. Don’t let me see you put a body in the trunk then think I’ll be content with you telling me “it’s nothing.”

That makes sense but it gives me some heartburn because of Mudiay being the only positive bench player atm... don't want to yank his minutes around much. Exum is just such an awkward fit right now and any way you get him on the court it has a low likelihood of team success. Maybe he does really well in garbage time tonight... I expect us to get taken to the woodshed tonight.
The point is to cut into Joe’s minutes, in part because he needs to get his minutes down and Exum’s skill set relies on playing with good players where Mudiay’s kinda doesn’t (which is both his strength and weakness).

The point is to cut into Joe’s minutes, in part because he needs to get his minutes down and Exum’s skill set relies on playing with good players where Mudiay’s kinda doesn’t (which is both his strength and weakness).
How do U figure out this mudiay has been playing with the starters for most of his minutes. At the start of the season he was playing with the bench and he was terrible and so was the bench.

Give Dante minutes and we will be playing for Draft picks, maybe that was the plan in paying him so much ?

How do U figure out this mudiay has been playing with the starters for most of his minutes. At the start of the season he was playing with the bench and he was terrible and so was the bench.

Mudiay made a difference in us winning which is more than your husband ever gave us while playing here.

Either that or he and coach have a relationship none of us understand and Dante fully trusts him. (I seriously doubt that theory.)

This is from an off-season interview when he was in Australia:

The world of NBA Twitter has a term called ‘Exum Island’; a group of users who remain extremely high on the point guard, despite the volatile start to his NBA career. Those on the island are generally sceptical of how Snyder uses Exum, but the Melbourne-native has come to respect how his head coach gets the best out of his players.

“I actually have a great relationship with Quin,” Exum said. “He hates when I call him Quin; coach.

“In the first couple of years, he was definitely the hardest on me. There’s a story me and Joe like to tell: it was, one time Joe made a mistake in practice and coach just ripped me for it, and even Joe went to coach and said ‘hey, it was my fault’, but coach still just ripped me.

“I’ve kind of learned how he coaches, and what he expects. He’s just a coach that wants the best for all his players, and wants to get the best out of me. I want that, too, so I respect it.”
The bit I've bolded is the bit I just don't understand.

I really wonder what they are seeing in practices from Exum that's making them so hesitant to play him.
As I've said before, I'm wondering when these alleged practices are happening. Going by when they post practice interview videos, they've had five practices so far this season (Oct 7, Nov 10, Nov 17, Dec 6, Dec 16) and he wasn't able to participate fully in the first practice. And again, if he can only show he's corrected the problem during practice, when has he had the opportunity to do that?

I think Andy Larsen mentioned something about it. By the sound of it he's maybe regressed?
FYI, Larsen is a Dante hater, so what you are reading is his negative opinion, not a fact.

I think Exum is mentally broken. He won't practice with the lesser players so he is fighting and not focusing on getting better.

Just pull Joe out in the 1st and 3rd at the 5:00 mark. Play Exum for a total of 10 minutes that way. Bring Joe back in at the 8 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. Gobert would always be on the floor with one that way. Joe would cut down to 30 minutes a game. And by coming in at the 8 minute mark of the 2nd and 4th, he’d help out bench unit some. Exum would also get some time and it would be with starters which is what he needs.

This is from an off-season interview when he was in Australia:

The bit I've bolded is the bit I just don't understand.

As I've said before, I'm wondering when these alleged practices are happening. Going by when they post practice interview videos, they've had five practices so far this season (Oct 7, Nov 10, Nov 17, Dec 6, Dec 16) and he wasn't able to participate fully in the first practice. And again, if he can only show he's corrected the problem during practice, when has he had the opportunity to do that?

FYI, Larsen is a Dante hater, so what you are reading is his negative opinion, not a fact.
Ok sure, but it's a more informed opinion than what I've got.

I'm really just speculating here, but there's something going on we don't know about. It could boil down to something as simple as he and Snyder not being a good fit one way or the other. Maybe he just sucks. The only way to know for sure is for him to see the floor, on this team or another.

Ok sure, but it's a more informed opinion than what I've got.

I'm really just speculating here, but there's something going on we don't know about. It could boil down to something as simple as he and Snyder not being a good fit one way or the other. Maybe he just sucks. The only way to know for sure is for him to see the floor, on this team or another.

Yeah and DL cost our team another weapon by extending this scrub.