What's new

Revisiting Collins versus Kuzma

Dude, you have no idea what contracts will look like in the 2025 free agency. If he just plays solid he will easily land a long term deal worth more or close to the same money.

Once again though how does that benefit us? If he plays solid and opts out he will have some suitors that can probably offer him a bigger role. As long as he is paired with Lauri he is going to get fewer touches than he would probably want.

If someone gives you a car, a car you weren’t otherwise going to buy (or need), and now you’re hit with paying taxes on it, investing money to get it road-ready and to pass safety, pay for registration, pay to get it insured, and you’re now having to take over payments on it…

It wasn’t free.

If someone gives you a car, a car you weren’t otherwise going to buy (or need), and now you’re hit with paying taxes on it, investing money to get it road-ready and to pass safety, pay for registration, pay to get it insured, and you’re now having to take over payments on it…

It wasn’t free.

It is free if you had a mandate that you had to spend an extra $300 on a car every month. You have to spend the money regardless.

It wasn’t free.
Yep. Any investor knows there is always opportunity cost when getting something. You just have to figure out what makes the most sense.

Collins was basically free. Why would the Jazz not do that?
I'm offered free crap all the time but in this case it's not really "free" when Collins is still owed $79 mil and may potentially not even mesh with Walker.

Hopefully it all works out but Kessler is my dude so obviously they need to make it work while not stifling his development.

Last edited:
It is free if you had a mandate that you had to spend an extra $300 on a car every month. You have to spend the money regardless.
The issue isn't that you have to use the money. The issue is could you have used it in a better manner. At this point who the hell knows. I didn't start this thread to say I am completely writing off Collins because I'm not. I just feel like Kuzma probably would have been a better fit and investment. There is also the issue of a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. We were able to guarantee ourselves Collins while Kuzma in free agency was more of a maybe. I don't think the Hawks had another taker for Collins though so if we did strike out on Kuz there is a good chance the Collins deal would still be there.

The issue isn't that you have to use the money. The issue is could you have used it in a better manner. At this point who the hell knows. I didn't start this thread to say I am completely writing off Collins because I'm not. I just feel like Kuzma probably would have been a better fit and investment. There is also the issue of a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. We were able to guarantee ourselves Collins while Kuzma in free agency was more of a maybe. I don't think the Hawks had another taker for Collins though so if we did strike out on Kuz there is a good chance the Collins deal would still be there.
And the cost isn’t just money. There are lots of non-financial costs.

I’ve been mildly encouraged by Collins. He’s shooting the three in rhythm… it’s just not an ideal situation to see his value improve greatly. To be 20/10 JC he needs to play more in PnR and we don’t have a great partner. I think Kuzma will continue putting up numbers with a ****** Wiz team and this will have value as a trade asset… maybe more than JC.

To be 20/10 JC he needs to play more in PnR and we don’t have a great partner.
Did anyone really think he could be a 20/10 guy here? The way he plays, that would mean the whole offense would have to be retooled to cater to Collins only. Involved in every high pick and roll, playing starter minutes (which would push Kessler to the bench since they can't co-exist).

That would not make any sense.

Are we really gaslighting a guy after 2 preseason games? And throwing in revisionist history on other trade options?

We dont even have a proper clue what game 1 starting lineup is going to be. Lets at least wait for that tweet to come out...

If Hardy thinks that last seasons Sexton, Clarkson, Lauri, KO, Kessler gives us best chance to win then that is what he will roll out.

I'm offered free crap all the time but in this case it's not really "free" when Collins is still owed $79 mil and may potentially not even mesh with Walker.

Hopefully it all works out but Kessler is my dude so obviously they need to make it work while not stifling his development.

He's a good player! That we gave up ZERO assets for! What the hell is wrong with you people?

He may not POTENTIALLY mesh with Walker? He may be ****ing better than Walker! He and Walker may fall in love and have beautiful babies! You have to take the chance man.

The Jazz gained an asset without giving up another asset, on a team that actively tried to lose last year. It's a no-brainer.

How much overlap is there in the "we shouldn't have traded for Collins" crowd and the "Hendricks is a bust crowd? I bet you're the same ****ing idiots.

I need to leave the internet for a bit. Ya'll are making me feel feelings.

He's a good player! That we gave up ZERO assets for! What the hell is wrong with you people?

He may not POTENTIALLY mesh with Walker? He may be ****ing better than Walker! He and Walker may fall in love and have beautiful babies! You have to take the chance man.

The Jazz gained an asset without giving up another asset, on a team that actively tried to lose last year. It's a no-brainer.
Cap space is 100% an asset.

How much overlap is there in the "we shouldn't have traded for Collins" crowd and the "Hendricks is a bust crowd? I bet you're the same ****ing idiots.

I’m only in one of those camps. In fact, because I’m not in the latter camp, it gives me more reason to be in the former camp.

I like the Collins trade and think Hendricks was a poor pick

Did anyone really think he could be a 20/10 guy here? The way he plays, that would mean the whole offense would have to be retooled to cater to Collins only. Involved in every high pick and roll, playing starter minutes (which would push Kessler to the bench since they can't co-exist).

That would not make any sense.
The thought that he would be materially different was kind of goofy. His value might improve with some hot shooting and being slightly better... also the shorter his deal becomes the easier it is to take on. A rising cap will help as well.

I don't know if the thought was buy low and sell or just buy low and keep him around. If it is the latter then its fine... but much of the national media seemed to think its the former.

I do think he will spend a lot of time in the corner, but will touch the ball more and feel more involved.

Kuzma on his deal is a better asset than JC on his. Kyle is 4/90M and the value of the contract descends... we couldn't have done as big of a decline year over year... but that is better than 3/76 with a PO for the final year. PO prevent teams from getting excess value as the player will almost always make the right decision.