What's new

Ricky Rubio the Basketball Enigma

Rubio is actually a bad *** Spaniard -I heard he once roughed up 2 keyboard warriors he came across in the wild and took their chicks

good post, but alot of it basically outlines why rubio is a poor fit. and alot of it also shows why allen should be getting more minutes when the offense stagnates. someone who will not pass up shots and can create offense other than mitchell (albeit less creatively/shifty than mitchell).
And who the defense has to guard

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Ricky can score sometimes, you cant really say that about dante. Also, running the offense is a thing too, Rubio does that a lot better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app
Just FYI, Dante was at 24.3 points per 100 last year, Rubio was at 22.3
Dante is at 20.0 this season, while Rubio is at 20.3

Scoring is not a thing Rubio is better than Dante at.

I agree about him running the offense though...

Hmm... Rubio can make a layup

Umh... no... not really. This is arguably more of a problem than him not being able to shoot.

Dante vs Ricky's percentages from 0-3 feet for their respective last 4 years:
2014-2015 .731 vs .517 (2015-2016 for Ricky)
2016-2017 .551 vs .484
2017-2018 .676 vs .535
2018 2019 .551 vs .551 (this is career high for Ricky and career low for Dante and they are at the exact same %)
career .594 vs .490

Umh... no... not really. This is arguably more of a problem than him not being able to shoot.

2016-2017 .551 vs .484
2017-2018 .676 vs .535
2018 2019 .551 vs .551 (this is career high for Ricky and career low for Dante and they are at the exact same %)
career .594 vs .490
No, I really mean that Rubio can make a layup, Exum cant finish at the rim.

2016-2017 .551 vs .484
2017-2018 .676 vs .535
career .594 vs .490
How many times have we seen Dante beat his man off the dribble to miss the layup this season? Dante's strength is his defense and his first step. If he gets past his opponent he can lob it or shoot it, stats can be deceptive. There have been many times where he goes for a contested layup and the ball doesn't even come close to going in, it's like he just throws it up there hoping for a call.

How many times have we seen Dante beat his man off the dribble to miss the layup this season? Dante's strength is his defense and his first step. If he gets past his opponent he can lob it or shoot it, stats can be deceptive. There have been many times where he goes for a contested layup and the ball doesn't even come close to going in, it's like he just throws it up there hoping for a call.

I'm not arguing Dante is good at it. I'm arguing Ricky is worse. Which he objectively IS.

Royce has been a big disappointment for me this season. He had a great opportunity to really work on his outside shot during the off-season. He seems to have good shot mechanics and no hitch in his shot. There isn't any reason he can't be a better 3 and D. I just haven't seen the same energy that he had last season when he came into the game.

Royce has been a big disappointment for me this season. He had a great opportunity to really work on his outside shot during the off-season. He seems to have good shot mechanics and no hitch in his shot. There isn't any reason he can't be a better 3 and D. I just haven't seen the same energy that he had last season when he came into the game.
Royce reminded me a lot of Wesley Matthews during both of their rookie years. This year though...

Royce always plays good defense and isn't Ronnie Brewer on offense. At $1.5 million, I'm happy with his 18 minutes per night.

I'm more disappointed in Thabo. O'Neale does everything better at a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

He's actually shooting well this year, 45% overall and almost 38% from 3. the biggest problem by far has been how passive he is. He passes up so many open shots to just dribble around and run time off the shot clock. If he's open he has to shoot it.

He's actually shooting well this year, 45% overall and almost 38% from 3. the biggest problem by far has been how passive he is. He passes up so many open shots to just dribble around and run time off the shot clock. If he's open he has to shoot it.

And this is a big problem offensively with this team. Most guys are only willing to shoot when completely wide open and it has entirely disrupted the flow. There’s only a few on the team currently who are regularly willing to take or create challenged shots when the offense is under pressure or shot clock running out. 1 is mitchell and his % has suffered for it because he’s mostly next to Rubio/exum who can be helped off of, 2 is Korver but only on challenged threes with very little going to the hoop, 3 is jae but it’s usually a stupid stepback three, and 4 is Grayson who’s stuck on the bench or G-league half the season. Alec was another until the trade.

Last edited:
Royce always plays good defense and isn't Ronnie Brewer on offense. At $1.5 million, I'm happy with his 18 minutes per night.

I'm more disappointed in Thabo. O'Neale does everything better at a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
If Thabo wasnt a veteran he wouldn't be playing. I think Quinn is playing him purely because he's giving him a chance to come back from injury.

Royce is a ****ing animal on defense . He's the 8th or 9th player on the team but can come in and guard all stars at 3 positions effectively.

And he's locked in for peanuts.

Royce is a ****ing animal on defense . He's the 8th or 9th player on the team but can come in and guard all stars at 3 positions effectively.

And he's locked in for peanuts.

I have no problem with Royce as long as he doesn't try and dribble.