What's new

Ringer's KOC says what we're all thinking

Direct quotes:

"This team is obviously trying to play small ball for the situations that Gobert can't or shouldn't be on the court"

"The Jazz organization has watched them fail in the past two playoffs and one of the solutions they need to do is play more small"

That whole mid part of the video is talking about how we have to play small but we don't have the talent to play small because we don't have a small ball 5. Then they talk about Gobert not being able to score as a problem. Are you kidding me? The Jazz post a 121 offensive rating in a series and you're talking about how our C can't play because he doesn't score after dribbling.
What I got from it is that they need someone both for when Gobert is off the floor and when he was on it. None of his arguments (that I can recall) say that Gobert on the floor is the problem, mostly that no one else on the team does **** defensively.

In any event, the non-Gobert minutes exist and are an opportunity to develop another strategy.

What I got from it is that they need someone both for when Gobert is off the floor and when he was on it. None of his arguments (that I can recall) say that Gobert on the floor is the problem, mostly that no one else on the team does **** defensively.

In any event, the non-Gobert minutes exist and are an opportunity to develop another strategy.

They were directly saying that Gobert couldn't/shouldn't be on the floor against 5 out and that small ball 5 is the solution. There was a whole segment dedicated to how Rudy can't score and why it's a problem. I don't know what to tell you.

To be fair, there was mention of the real and obvious problem, the Jazz can't guard a cone...but any conversation that talks about the 5 being a concern or that small ball is the solution is stupid. We could have prime Draymond Green as our small ball 5 and it wouldn't mean a damn thing because 1-4 can't guard their own shadow.

We all know Rudy ain't posting up. That stat was brought up as it was a revelation, lol. The best way to beat a switch is ghost screens and slips which the Jazz has shown they can play last year.

Also the 5 part of the small ball is the least of our problems. I wish teams were posting up Gay or Paschall and ignoring 4 statues on the perimeter. Not that Gay has been a great defender but you can't expect him to clean up poor perimeter defenders like a traditional center could.

The Jazz were actually doing well against 5 out early on because they kept going at Gobert....and that's when they had Kawhi. Kawhi was getting the edge on Gobert (he's freaking Kawhi after all), George was kinda struggling, but the Jazz were maintaining a decent defensive performance. They were actually struggling more against Zubac because Zu occupied Gobert at the rim.

The floodgates got released once Lue made the adjustment and stopped including Gobert in the action. Whoever Gobert was guarding, stick that in the corner, walk past the Jazz statues, and then put Gobert in the impossible situation where he has to give up a free layup or a wide open 3. We couldn't stop that. The whole point of small ball defense is that you have like sized guys that can guard everyone well, but if 1-4 can't guard their man it doesn't matter who the 5 is. You're toast.

The Jazz were actually doing well against 5 out early on because they kept going at Gobert....and that's when they had Kawhi. Kawhi was getting the edge on Gobert (he's freaking Kawhi after all), George was kinda struggling, but the Jazz were maintaining a decent defensive performance. They were actually struggling more against Zubac because Zu occupied Gobert at the rim.

The floodgates got released once Lue made the adjustment and stopped including Gobert in the action. Whoever Gobert was guarding, stick that in the corner, walk past the Jazz statues, and then put Gobert in the impossible situation where he has to give up a free layup or a wide open 3. We couldn't stop that. The whole point of small ball defense is that you have like sized guys that can guard everyone well, but if 1-4 can't guard their man it doesn't matter who the 5 is. You're toast.
Kawhi was playing stagnant. That's his style and he is an all-time great. Bogey was sizing him up and making it tough, too. Enough that Gobert had time to cover other stuff or help and recover. The distance was smaller too.

You are right about Gobert in the corner. That was actually used on Kawhi too when he was a DPOY at Spurs. The guy he was guarding would just stay in the corner and the Spurs would have a hard time containing 4 on 4. It's really not a favourable situation for anyone.

Jazz tried to counter it, though. I think when Quin realized no-one was going to stop anyone, we played some extreme funnel. Guard would get blown by, Rudy would help stop it at the rim and the perimeter defender would immediately rotate to the corner. It seemed successful at some point but it stopped. I don't know whether it was the injuries or the guards stopped caring or it just wasn't sustainable.

What sucks is Jazz seem to execute switching defense well. It's an easy scheme to employ to be fair. They usually do well on the switch and take away the actions but the whole point of switching is to force iso and the Jazz just suck at it.

I just skipped through parts of the video, but if you still say something along the lines of "Jazz are looking to play small ball bc Gobert can't match up"....I can't take you very seriously.

Benching Gobert remains one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. I seriously cannot fathom how such a stupid concept has gone so mainstream.
But but but the one play that got replayed constantly was Gobert running to the corner and failing to stop a 3. And since all we ever watch is one play to sum up the series obviously Gobert can't defend anyone on the perimeter so he sucks and is nothing but a liability. The interwebs said so! Pull your ****ing head out, sheeple!