What's new

Rittenhouse

Fwiw, I think it Rittenhouse really wanted to be a vigilante, he probably could have and would have shot a lot more people. If I was in a situation where I had a rifle during a riot/uncontrolled protest, and people were chasing me, I sure as **** would’ve fired. Now, I also wouldn’t go there or bring a rifle, but that’s irrelevant. If you have a weapon, and you have multiple people telling you they’re going to kill you, chase you, point a gun at you, those people have given you the legal means to shoot them. Being there the way he did could arguably be called “being a vigilante”, but his actions with the rifle cannot, imo.
Pretty much every gun owning, super conservative wanted to be a vigilante during the riots. There's no shock there. I can think of a ton of people I know that would say they wish they could show up with a gun to help. Now whether they actually would if they had the chance, I doubt most of them would. Most are all talk, but it's easy to think of the guy (we all know one) that would.

**** that guy.

Exactly. So its perfectly legal for me to run around with my gun and swear at people in the hopes that one of the people Im swearing at gets mad and pulls a gun and points in my direction cause then its perfectly legal for me to shoot them.

He went there in the hopes he would get to shoot someone and he got his wish.
You don’t know his frame of mind, neither do I. Foolish to act like you do.

The next time you respond to something with a response that isn’t some hypothetical straw man will be a first. Not worth responding to.

You don’t know his frame of mind, neither do I. Foolish to act like you do.

The next time you respond to something with a response that isn’t some hypothetical straw man will be a first. Not worth responding to.
In my example you wouldn't know my frame of mind either. You could have a pretty good idea what it was though.
You did say that you thought that what he did was dumb and a bad idea (going to the riots with a gun) but what happened after that point was self defense. So in my example I would have also been doing something dumb yet once I felt my life was in danger then its self defense. See you can simply excuse away anything and everything that happens leading up to the violence as long as when the violence goes down a person can say they felt they were in danger and acted in self defense. This is not a good thing. The stuff that happens prior to the violence should matter.

Btw, you responded to my post that according to you wasn't worth responding to lol.

He'll probably get off of murder charges at least. Personally IMO he should get some sort of time for inserting himself into a riot situation, but I'm not sure what law he broke. On the other hand, I have little sympathy for the people who got killed. Play riot games, win riot prizes.

On another note, I'm quite impressed with how many reports this thread has generated. It might easily be the most in terms of the number of posts in a thread that I've ever seen here in my 10 years or whatever of modship. My vote is to lock it soon since nobody can seem to play nicely, but I am just one vote of the three that's needed.

Good sense will usually keep most people out of this kind of trouble. Except in a riot or insurrection or war, the absolute nature of our rights makes your idea of a good law simply wrong. Absolutely wrong. It basically makes our rights subject to arbitrary nullification by lawmakers and/or judges. This is the very definition of BAD GOVERNMENT.

oUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS PERTAINS MOSTLY TO EXACTLY "DANGEROUS" SITUATIONS.
Do you know what my proposed solutions are? I haven't mentioned them in this thread at all and don't think I have gone into them in detail anywhere on jazzfanz. In no way is my idea of a solution to simply take away people's gun rights. As I have mentioned I think there needs to be "rules of engagement" which would essentially set out protocols that would define more clearly what an armed person's responsibilities are when armed. One that exists currently is that a person with a concealed firearm is prohibited from going to a bar and getting drunk while carrying. So I'm essentially talking about that kind of thing. Do you think that prohibitions against getting drunk at a bar while carrying a gun is a violation of rights and an "arbitrary nullification?"

The biggest part of the problem, as I see it, is that people arm themselves and then boldly enter into situations that they would not be so eager involve themselves in if not armed. I think a standard needs to be defined where the question is asked if a reasonable person who was unarmed would have acted in the same way. Specifically if a reasonable unarmed person would have instigated the same confrontation, or interacted with someone else in as aggressive a manner, etc.. Basically, the idea is that having a gun on you should not encourage you to seek confrontation. Stand your ground is perfectly fine as long as it isn't seen a a license to seize ground in hostile territory and then defend it with lethal force.

I'm just glad everyone in this thread was able to successfully put their personal political beliefs aside when it came to forming an opinion on this case.

Is what I wish I could say.

He'll probably get off of murder charges at least. Personally IMO he should get some sort of time for inserting himself into a riot situation, but I'm not sure what law he broke. On the other hand, I have little sympathy for the people who got killed. Play riot games, win riot prizes.

On another note, I'm quite impressed with how many reports this thread has generated. It might easily be the most in terms of the number of posts in a thread that I've ever seen here in my 10 years or whatever of modship. My vote is to lock it soon since nobody can seem to play nicely, but I am just one vote of the three that's needed.
I really hope that doesn't happen. I don't think threads should be closed because of some number of reports. Are we encouraged to report rules violations or is reporting rules violations punished by closing entire threads? I think if rules are being broken then the people breaking them should be warned, suspended or whatever. I can understand if there was a thread that was of a subject that was questionable or problematic and then based on that subject people were frequently crossing lines and breaking board rules that the thread should be closed.

But this is an emotionally charged issue and it is a valid one that we as a community want to talk about. There is nothing inherent in this subject that is questionable or inherently leads to rules violations.

1) The supply chain issue isn't racial.

2) This is a trial of a white guy who shot 3 white guys.

Anyone who sees this as a racial issue sees EVERYTHING as a racial issue and EVERYONE as being their race or an 'other' race. I do not direct this comment to you Red, or to anyone in particular, but if this type of story is of interest to you, if it resonates with you then you're probably a racist. A white supremacist with a guilty conscience is still a white supremacist.

Harsh?

Harsh? Your previous stance is disturbing to say the least. How is anyone supposed to consider anything you say on this after stating you would murder someone without any facts, context, or evidence outside of a crowd yelling shooter + you seeing a gun. Murder first, ask questions later.
What the hell are you talking about?

Do you know what my proposed solutions are? I haven't mentioned them in this thread at all and don't think I have gone into them in detail anywhere on jazzfanz. In no way is my idea of a solution to simply take away people's gun rights. As I have mentioned I think there needs to be "rules of engagement" which would essentially set out protocols that would define more clearly what an armed person's responsibilities are when armed. One that exists currently is that a person with a concealed firearm is prohibited from going to a bar and getting drunk while carrying. So I'm essentially talking about that kind of thing. Do you think that prohibitions against getting drunk at a bar while carrying a gun is a violation of rights and an "arbitrary nullification?"

The biggest part of the problem, as I see it, is that people arm themselves and then boldly enter into situations that they would not be so eager involve themselves in if not armed. I think a standard needs to be defined where the question is asked if a reasonable person who was unarmed would have acted in the same way. Specifically if a reasonable unarmed person would have instigated the same confrontation, or interacted with someone else in as aggressive a manner, etc.. Basically, the idea is that having a gun on you should not encourage you to seek confrontation. Stand your ground is perfectly fine as long as it isn't seen a a license to seize ground in hostile territory and then defend it with lethal force.
Without going back to argue anything, I know you about as well as God does. Don't argue that assertion unless you believe in God in the first place. Since you don't, really, it's about like saying I know you as well as any Martian does.

One of the first casualties of becoming a dedicated activist/proponent of any cause is the loss of humor. Humor is essential in dealing with humans.

So just briefly looking at a few words in your response above, I take it you have a detailed, serious proposal you take seriously. I admit I have not seen that, and probably don't want to. Fine.

I was taking your drift a few posts up about how you feel we need some better laws that would basically make it a crime to take a gun to a fight.

I think that basically destroys the right to keep or bear arms.

It's a simple take on a very skimpy remark.

You would do better to laugh at me than argue.

I tell you what though, Rittenhouse takes home the world record for the ugliest ugly cry of all time.

rittenhouse-crying.jpeg

Well, OK.

Here's what happens when we try to postulate anything based on "what a reasonable man would do", and make that a standard for a rule of law.

Reasonable men differ when they prioritize various reasons or public standards for thought. The right to peaceably assemble, to petition government for redress of grievances, freedom of speech and freedom of belief are always attacked from some elevated notion of what is reasonable, and it is always used to suppress liberty.

Human beings are inherently unreasonable, inconsistent, or arbitrary. Whenever happiness or privilege is regulated, it is an attack on liberty.

Some things are worth regulating. What you think is worth regulating could look like a problem to others. Most of us agree that freeways are worth regulating with speed limits and traffic rules.

The problem with bringing up another idea about regulating gun use right now is political. I think people are largely..... regardless of media campaigns..... rejecting the self-defined "progressive" governance model because it is too adverse to individual opportunity and prosperity.

If leftist agenda factions are going to do riots, we should judge them like you want to judge people who wish to bring guns to the damn riots. Some don't like police failures to enforce laws and protect life and property.

Bricks, frozen water bottles, molotov cocktails and butane torches or whatever should all be subject to the same standard. Would a reasonable man want to burn down the police station. Would a reasonable man throw a brick at a window. Would a reasonable man kick a kid down on the street in the head. All that.

If you're OK with riots, you have no freakin business talking about what reasonable people should do with a firearm.

The Marxist sort of revolution in whatever current form still has the theory that what we are, what we have, is an obstruction to progress. Marxists define what is the present as all wrong, and justify breaking it down as a necessity for bringing in something better. Marxist theology does not recognize human rights when they are exercised in opposition to the revolution.

The problem with all that is there is ultimately no fixed or final end to the revolution. It is an endless sort of destruction that will never fail to find new evils to overthrow.

Marxism is in the most basic definition a political tool. In the olden days, people were supposed to prove their belief in it, but not now. Marxists just focus on willingness to use the tool. Billionaires use it today as a means to solidify basically fascist power and world governance. Whatever idealistic true believers like my friend was really believed just doesn't matter anymore. He called communist regimes like China, Russia, and Cuba "State Capitalism" He would call the UN "Global Capitalism". Whatever.

The better world modern marxists want, and are willing to riot for, is not a genuine ideological commitment. It is an orchestrated fake commitment generally embraced by mercenaries for a basically fascist world regime which will deepen, extend, and increase power in the hands of a few.

The problem there is that the few will still have to fight the "King of the Hill" sort of battle for ultimate power.

I just don't think that's a path we need to roll over for.

The idea of limited government inherently curbs such extreme sociopathic obsessions.

Whatever our problems with climate or overpopulation or social malaise of any kind, that is not a solution we want.

I theorize that "Reasonable Men will not accept such bad government".

I'm just glad everyone in this thread was able to successfully put their personal political beliefs aside when it came to forming an opinion on this case.

Is what I wish I could say.
We all know 100% of the deplorables wanting Rittenhouse to swing take their stance purely from political affiliation. If Rittenhouse were black, there is zero doubt they'd be pushing what really occurred: Rittenhouse was chased down and attacked by a racist, beligerant pedophile who is on video earlier screaming the n word at Rittenhouse and thst he was going to kill you *************.

Anyone who can see this and want Rittenhouse charged with murder is ****ed in the head.

I just wanted to pop into this thread to let yall know that, so far, I've been totally successful at avoiding this conversation on Jazzfanz. And, also to tell you that this avoidance has been awesome.

:fistbump:

Honest question Bc I’m curious.

Is there anybody who actually reads the entirety of a Babe post or do you all just skim to the next post like I do?
Mostly skim or skip. Every once in a while i read the whole thing.