What's new

Rockets going hard after Jimmy

Right... but Thibs is their GM. He wants to win. I think part of him almost wants to get fired (he gets dem checks either way). Picks don't equal wins and moving those picks for other dudes isn't super easy... will take time and he wants to coach his team right now.

This came out because it got rejected. Either they want Miami to go higher or they flat out aren't going to deal Jimmy unless it is a win now move or complete highway robbery. We don't know the protections on the picks being offered either. If they are unprotected... then yes they are dumb for not making the move. This got leaked because Houston wants it out there. Maybe it fires Jimmy up or gets ownership/fanbase putting more pressure out there to get something done.

What's amazing is - according to NBA.COM:

"The lottery protections on picks in this proposed deal would be limited."

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/10/25/report-rockets-renew-interest-acquiring-jimmy-butler

I think they could add a team to the trade with Houston to get player(s) on MN for picks right away.

What's interesting is Wiggins and Towns are posting inferior scoring stats so far - wondering if they're half-assing it due to their unhappiness with Butler.

What's amazing is... according to NBA.COM:

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/10/25/report-rockets-renew-interest-acquiring-jimmy-butler

I think they could add a team to the trade with Houston to get player(s) on MN for picks right away.

What's interesting is Wiggins and Towns are posting inferior scoring stats so far - wondering if they're half-assing it due to their unhappiness with Butler.

Yeah... that could mean anything... and I'm guessing this is a Houston leak. Morey is a CBA wizard... so maybe those are top 5 protected (which is limited) but if they don't convey they miss out on one of the picks. Their is a limit with how far in the future you can trade picks... I don't know the rule, but you can bet your *** if anyone will exploit it it will be Morey.

KAT is 100% half-assing it... never know with Wiggins... his full throttle looks a lot like half ***. KAT airballed a shot last game and looked to the sideline and asked out of the game. Their TV guy said he didn't look like he wanted to play basketball that night.

I agree they could get other guys with those picks if they wanted... but it is so early and there are very few teams that are in tank/rebuild mode right now... and those teams don't have a lot of good players. In a month or two a few teams will enter the tank race... so you'd likely have to wait.

Couple things... listened to Dunc'd on... I lowballed the luxury tax issues if the re-sign Jimmy Butler. Between tax and payroll they'd be looking at about $250M... 80-90 of that is tax.

From Minny's perspective... Taking on Brandon Knight is worth at least a first by itself. So this is 3 firsts really... and I think the backend firsts will have protection that makes it unlikely they give up something super-duper valuable.

Not a no brainer for either side.

Thibs wants to win he is not a rebuild coach. This will probably end up being a 3 team deal. Maybe Hayward gets packaged over there. Celts don't need him.

The Houston Rockets are up for sale, they were counting on being a contender to get maximum dollar. They are extremely desperate to keep winning. Maybe the Jazz can help fleece them too? AB for two picks?

Yeah... that could mean anything... and I'm guessing this is a Houston leak. Morey is a CBA wizard... so maybe those are top 5 protected (which is limited) but if they don't convey they miss out on one of the picks. Their is a limit with how far in the future you can trade picks... I don't know the rule, but you can bet your *** if anyone will exploit it it will be Morey.

KAT is 100% half-assing it... never know with Wiggins... his full throttle looks a lot like half ***. KAT airballed a shot last game and looked to the sideline and asked out of the game. Their TV guy said he didn't look like he wanted to play basketball that night.

7 years, so four picks.

Or maybe they are just lazy bums like Butler has been basically saying. Why not flip those 2 players?

Thibs wants to win he is not a rebuild coach. This will probably end up being a 3 team deal. Maybe Hayward gets packaged over there. Celts don't need him.

Your naive of you think Boston is going trade Hayward ever. Only team I could ever see him go to is the Pacers. Brad Stevens is not going to let him leave

Your naive of you think Boston is going trade Hayward ever. Only team I could ever see him go to is the Pacers. Brad Stevens is not going to let him leave

You’re*

It’s not Stevens’ decision to trade or not to trade. That decision rests solely on Danny Ainge and he has shown he’ll trade anyone.

Or maybe they are just lazy bums like Butler has been basically saying. Why not flip those 2 players?

Butler is an alpha. He will find a way to score plus he plays great defense. How many guys in the league can say that (and it be true)? Maybe around 10 (that being a 20+ PPG scorer who can play at or near elite-level defense)?

I don't think Wiggins is lazy - he's just not an aggressive alpha. He's kind of like Exum - he has what it takes to be a good player but doesn't have the tenacity (though Exum has improved in this category - yet has a ways to go).

KAT is just not a physical player (he gets bullied in the paint on both sides of the floor). Plus for being touted as having a decent basketball IQ it's weird how bad he is on defense.

What's odd about Wiggins is he played great for Sam Mitchell - who was supposedly an intense, "abrasive" coach - so I don't know why he's played 'meh' for Thibodeau, who is a darn good coach and is also somewhat hard on his players (in excessive minutes as well).

You’re*

It’s not Stevens’ decision to trade or not to trade. That decision rests solely on Danny Ainge and he has shown he’ll trade anyone.

I think Ainge likes stevens and he knows trading his golden child hayward away is going to cause a potential rift. Also haywards contract is too big to move.....30mil with his production. You'd almost have to give picks up to move him.

I think Ainge likes stevens and he knows trading his golden child hayward away is going to cause a potential rift. Also haywards contract is too big to move.....30mil with his production. You'd almost have to give picks up to move him.
Well then Stevens would have to choose between being loyal to Hayward or winning a Championship, because I don't think you can win a title paying someone like Hayward the MAX in today's NBA.

lol, I'm all for throwing shade at Haywood, but that ain't what happened. And, even if he were to have "pushed for Rubio"... that'd be cool. Then and now.

No, Haywood truly did want Rubio as a teammate and DL made it happen:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-celtics/report-rubio-big-part-jazz-pitch-keep-hayward

"Hayward reportedly told the Jazz that he would enjoy playing with Rubio, a pass-first point guard acquired from the Minnesota Timberwolves as a replacement for George Hill, who left Utah to become a free agent after developing a good relationship with Hayward in his lone season in Utah."