What's new

Roster Balancing Guys

Millsap vs Gay is an interesting comparison. It's fair to question if Millsap is done....but you might find yourself less optimistic about Gay if you ask the same questions.
Not really. Totally different players. Guys age differently.

Millsap vs Gay is an interesting comparison. It's fair to question if Millsap is done....but you might find yourself less optimistic about Gay if you ask the same questions.
If this is your view, I can see why you’re so discontent on the off-season.

Not really. Totally different players. Guys age differently.

They’re not the same player…but would have filled a similar positional role. Millsap probably more of a backup C option but it seems like Gay was signed with that versatility in mind. If Gay was option A, would make sense if Millsap was option B.

The other way to look at this is that if you liked Rudy Gay, you would probably have an easy time talking yourself into Millsap. They are 35 and 36. They played about the same amount of minutes per game last season. They’ve played a similar amount of minutes (aka a **** ton) in their careers. Their production was similar. Gay was a more prolific scorer shooter…Millsap was a much better inside presence.

I think a lot of people like Gay at the 5 because of the idea that he does a lot of big man stuff…Millsap is more tilted towards that direction but to me Gay is a more realistic closing option next to Gobert because of his 3 ball.

Millsap’s health has been more sketchy these past two years…but I think he’s going to be a nice get wherever he lands. He was actually very good before he got hurt last year. Health isn’t guaranteed for anyone at this age, but that’s a good value proposition at the minimum.

If this is your view, I can see why you’re so discontent on the off-season.
I think the Gay move was fine in vacuum. I’m happy we used the MLE and I think we got a contested player with it. Little skeptical of the third year though. Nothing is guaranteed after 35 in this league except for Haslem’s contract.

I wanted a bigger move. I’m hoping that Gay gives the FO more comfort in making that move.

I’d be asking why multiple teams were after Gay and he got the MLE with a contender, while Millsap is still waiting for a minimum deal.

I’d be asking why multiple teams were after Gay and he got the MLE with a contender, while Millsap is still waiting for a minimum deal.

Fair enough…but I be willing to bet Millsap does have offers and is just taking his time. It is a decent question to ask though. When you look at what these two guys did last season and the states of their careers….Gay looks to be in a better spot for sure. But how much? It’s closer than I thought.

For the record, you’re talking to the poster who repeatedly spilled his guts last off-season—saying we could conclude everything we needed to know about Shaq Harrison by the fact that he remained unsigned. All these front offices must know something, he says.

But now a different view suits his narrative, so.... here we go. Gotta keep moaning at all costs.

Fair enough…but I be willing to bet Millsap does have offers and is just taking his time. It is a decent question to ask though. When you look at what these two guys did last season and the states of their careers….Gay looks to be in a better spot for sure. But how much? It’s closer than I thought.
Lmao.

For the record, you’re talking to the poster who repeatedly spilled his guts last off-season—saying we could conclude everything we needed to know about Shaq Harrison by the fact that he remained unsigned. All these front offices must know something, he says.

But now a different view suits his narrative, so.... here we go. Gotta keep moaning at all costs.

Oh…now it makes sense. You’re still mad about me saying we probably don’t know everything about Shaq…and it turned out that we didn’t know he had a broken hand. I was wondering why you get so worked up by everything I say.

Oh…now it makes sense. You’re still mad about me saying we probably don’t know everything about Shaq…and it turned out that we didn’t know he had a broken hand. I was wondering why you get so worked up by everything I say.
Nah, the specific details about Shaq aren’t really that important. It’s how they revealed the way you spin.

Go ahead and continue to bet that Millsap has offers. Who really knows, eh? But at least making the bet will allow you to keep analyzing things the way you want to, regardless of the nature of the evidence you have access to.

Nah, the specific details about Shaq aren’t really that important. It’s how they revealed the way you spin.

Go ahead and continue to bet that Millsap has offers. Who really knows, eh? But at least making the bet will allow you to keep analyzing things the way you want to, regardless of the nature of the evidence you have access to.

OK...lol. I don't know what about the Shaq thing got you so bent out of shape. I've had a lot of terrible takes, but that one was very lukewarm and turned out to be exactly correct. If you remember, one of the things I said about Shaq is that he could have offers that he was deciding on.

Speculating that Millsap has no offers is not much different than speculating that he has offers. He has reported interest from two of the top destination teams, so yeah I feel pretty good about saying he probably has an offer. So what do you think? Does he have offers, or does he not? If you have an opinion on this you are spinning things to shift your narrative!

I'm just happy to learn what the root of this strange obsession you have with me is.

OK...lol. I don't know what about the Shaq thing got you so bent out of shape. I've had a lot of terrible takes, but that one was very lukewarm and turned out to be exactly correct. If you remember, one of the things I said about Shaq is that he could have offers that he was deciding on.

Speculating that Millsap has no offers is not much different than speculating that he has offers. He has reported interest from two of the top destination teams, so yeah I feel pretty good about saying he probably has an offer. So what do you think? Does he have offers, or does he not? If you have an opinion on this you are spinning things to shift your narrative!

I'm just happy to learn what the root of this strange obsession you have with me is.
I would expect you to glance sideways at any accusation that you’re being inconsistent. Bravo.

I would expect you to glance sideways at any accusation that you’re being inconsistent. Bravo.

Inconsistency...got it. I guess I'll be consistent and say that there's probably something we don't know about Millsap. Maybe he has offers. Maybe he wants to retire. Maybe he's completely cooked and everyone knows it. There are a bunch of reasons that could explain why he's unsigned. Much like Shaq, I don't think it was his game. I think he does have offers because it is reported that he has interest.

Inconsistency...got it. I guess I'll be consistent and say that there's probably something we don't know about Millsap. Maybe he has offers. Maybe he wants to retire. Maybe he's completely cooked and everyone knows it. There are a bunch of reasons that could explain why he's unsigned. Much like Shaq, I don't think it was his game. I think he does have offers because it is reported that he has interest.
Ok, now segue this into the ultimate consistency (for you): a moan of some kind. Tia. Make it tldr, too.

I saw this and that in addition to the Griz, the Pistons, Hawks, Cavs, Wiz and Spurs all have too many guaranteed contracts on the roster. Maybe Oni might be worth something yet.
Contract becomes guaranteed with trade.