What's new

Roster Balancing Guys

I saw this and that in addition to the Griz, the Pistons, Hawks, Cavs, Wiz and Spurs all have too many guaranteed contracts on the roster. Maybe Oni might be worth something yet.

Brooks makes 12.2M this year and Anderson, in the last year of his contract, makes 9.937M. I don’t think they’d do it but those two for Bogey and filler works. I think. It’s really close CBA-wise. I just don’t see why the Grizz do that. Though I think their shooting stinks.

Unless there’s a playoff coach on the block I say we stand pat and give our rookies an outside shot. Through trade, free agency and the draft we’ve already got upgrades at every position. And yet we’ve managed to maintain our core which gives us a head start on teams like the Lakers. We don’t need 15 All Stars on the squad to win, anyway, Snyder can’t count any higher than 9.

I’ll have to look at different numbers but I noticed Brooks’ defensive rating is absolutely abysmal. Is it just that he’s physical and really annoying?

What about Dillon Brooks for Clarkson and Oni?
It seems like there should be trades like that out there. There are guys in front offices with green eye shades and quill pens who are wanting the books to balance but don't care about the basketball product or team chemistry.

I’ll have to look at different numbers but I noticed Brooks’ defensive rating is absolutely abysmal. Is it just that he’s physical and really annoying?
He follows the jerry Sloan model of defense… foul every time… they can’t call em all.

He follows the jerry Sloan model of defense… foul every time… they can’t call em all.
Yeah. We need some of that, even if it isn’t tied to being a better defense (a different component of the game that’s often conflated with defense). But, for instance, Brooks’ defensive rating last year was 113.3 while Clarkson’s was 109.5. At the beginning of the year Clarkson was actually looking pretty good on the defensive end. And Bojan for decent stretches in the playoffs. Tell each of those guys to have Niang-like defensive seasons.

But I wonder how much traction we could get if we just told Clarkson to foul everyone, too. It could be a paper dragon defensive strategy. In fact, I wonder how much more traction we’d get if we completely abandoned the Euro fouls and fouled a lot more on defense.

What about Dillon Brooks for Clarkson and Oni?
They have too many guys. Why would they want a two for one deal like this?

The reporting says Anderson and Brooks could be on the move for "the right guy." This sounds like a consolidation strategy.

Reporting says CJ McCollum had been discussed. I'd absolutely consider that if I were Blazers. Not sure why the Griz would want the aging CJ, even if he is the talent level of player that makes sense. It seems to me they'd rather have someone who both represents an upgrade in talent over Brooks and Anderson and fits the Ja, JJJ, Bane, Williams timeline better.

I don't think we're a good match for what they're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G887N using JazzFanz mobile app

What about taking Jarrell Martin out for a spin in lieu of Brantley, Morgan and/or Oni? His 23 points and 12 rebounds in the Jazz last game was the most points scored by a Jazz player this summer league and his 12 boards were 2nd most to Dok. His numbers last year were about the same as Jock Landale's who the Spurs signed.

Yeah. We need some of that, even if it isn’t tied to being a better defense (a different component of the game that’s often conflated with defense). But, for instance, Brooks’ defensive rating last year was 113.3 while Clarkson’s was 109.5. At the beginning of the year Clarkson was actually looking pretty good on the defensive end. And Bojan for decent stretches in the playoffs. Tell each of those guys to have Niang-like defensive seasons.

But I wonder how much traction we could get if we just told Clarkson to foul everyone, too. It could be a paper dragon defensive strategy. In fact, I wonder how much more traction we’d get if we completely abandoned the Euro fouls and fouled a lot more on defense.

As a big numbers guy, I would hesitate to base any opinions from bball-ref Drtg (if that's what you're using). It's probably one of the worst ways to evaluate defense out there...especially perimeter guys.

I think Brooks is pretty overrated, especially on offense, but he had really solid defensive impact metrics. It hasn't always been the case, however, so it might be a good time to sell high for the Grizzlies.

With regard to Brooks I think he could be a valuable role player... but he'd need to scale down the fouling and shooting... not sure a guy like him would want to trim down his game. I just remember him scoring a ton on us and me thinking "why doesn't Rudy just come up and swat his drives... he ain't passing". I think he has to reduce his aggressiveness or move to the bench on a title team. For a team like the Grizz he's just fine. He's a guy we'd likely love if he came here... He's a guy I'd try to get if the price was right... but I don't think he makes the necessary adjustments to be a functional piece on a title contender.

With regard to Brooks I think he could be a valuable role player... but he'd need to scale down the fouling and shooting... not sure a guy like him would want to trim down his game. I just remember him scoring a ton on us and me thinking "why doesn't Rudy just come up and swat his drives... he ain't passing". I think he has to reduce his aggressiveness or move to the bench on a title team. For a team like the Grizz he's just fine. He's a guy we'd likely love if he came here... He's a guy I'd try to get if the price was right... but I don't think he makes the necessary adjustments to be a functional piece on a title contender.
IAWTP. If he does make said adjustments, I don’t think it will be for another 4-5 years.

IAWTP. If he does make said adjustments, I don’t think it will be for another 4-5 years.
These guys get paid partly on numbers... a guy in his earning prime like he is would have little monetary incentive to shrink those to be a bit more efficient/functional.

These guys get paid partly on numbers... a guy in his earning prime like he is would have little monetary incentive to shrink those to be a bit more efficient/functional.

Yep. He’s got two years left on this deal…probably gets a solid 4/60 from someone at that point…

I noticed today that Summer League player Justin Patton signed with a team in Israel and the Spurs signed Bryn Forbes. I think this makes the ten bazzillionth player the Spurs have under contract. They may need to move some of those bad boys.