What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

How good do you think Lauri is? I’m surprised to be reading comments that his play should alter the Jazz timeline. Are people viewing him as a legit #1 option? Do you see him as someone who could be a top 10 player in the league?

He is setting great numbers being most of the time helluva efficient. These last few weeks and possible playoffs will tell us more. This is the first time he is being doubled this much and having to carry his team. He is doing it with an average roster at best and so far looks he might be getting better in it too.

It is obvious he needs a bit more self creation in half-court offense and then he needs to get better with his passing skills. He has told he sees them lanes but still is figuring out to deliver them too. Coach H told also in some article Lauri will have some focus on his ball handling on becoming off-season. He is better with it this season he ever has been so we are optimistic it gets even better.

The shot selection is good and his off-ball threat is one of the best in the league. His athleticism works on both ends of the floor. He might become perennial all-nba. Is very coachable and seems to learn quickly whatever our coach has been asking of him. So far he has taken well the steps for increased responsibilities.

In short: in his first season with this kind of role he became someone from role player to a man in all-nba discussions. So for sure - he might become top 10 of the NBA. He is just entering into his prime now.

Lauri is a role player. HEAR ME OUT, HEAR ME OUT.

This season, his role is to be the main scoring threat (who still somehow takes only two shots more per 36 than Talen Horton-Tucker). He's doing a fine job. 9 to 5, lunch pail kinda guy. Happy to do whatever the team needs.

If we bring in a dude like Jaylen Brown who is obviously going to arrive with the expectation that he's the new #1 option, Lauri will go right back to being a 16ppg floor spacer. He won't complain. He's just gonna look at is as a new job description. No, he probably won't like it, but that's neither here nor there. He'll get right to work.

Nice guy, very good player, solid pro, absolutely zero alpha mentality.
Are you trolling

Agree to disagree. Just because you add a 25 point scorer like brown doesn't mean you can't have Lauri also average 25.
I mean just look at the Celtics for example.
It was more of an example of what I feel Lauri's mentality is like. Of course you can have several players putting up big scoring numbers. But that could still mean it's a Batman & Robin situation.

I'm surprised people are getting so defensive. What I said could just as well be seen as a compliment to Lauri. There's all these rumors of Brown not being happy in Boston because he wants "his own team", he wants to be the clear cut #1 option. Can you see Markkanen ever thinking along those lines, even if (as someone said) he's at least as good as Brown? Hell no.

I just happen to think that if we ever see a situation where we manage to bring in another star, Lauri will instinctively assume the second banana role. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that. Not everybody is the same. Not everybody has an alpha personality or leader attributes.

You see Jaylen Brown happily functioning as the 4th or 5th option on a team like last season's Cleveland? Yeah, thought so. Lauri had absolutely no problem with it.

How good do you think Lauri is? I’m surprised to be reading comments that his play should alter the Jazz timeline. Are people viewing him as a legit #1 option? Do you see him as someone who could be a top 10 player in the league?

How many players in the NBA could drag a starting core of 2 rookies and THT into the playoffs? Honestly? I know that neither of the Laker "top 10 players" could do this, not today anyway. Nor Dame, nor apparently Luka, or ANT. That list is likely smaller than 10 players.

Lauri is a role player. HEAR ME OUT, HEAR ME OUT.

This season, his role is to be the main scoring threat (who still somehow takes only two shots more per 36 than Talen Horton-Tucker). He's doing a fine job. 9 to 5, lunch pail kinda guy. Happy to do whatever the team needs.

If we bring in a dude like Jaylen Brown who is obviously going to arrive with the expectation that he's the new #1 option, Lauri will go right back to being a 16ppg floor spacer. He won't complain. He's just gonna look at is as a new job description. No, he probably won't like it, but that's neither here nor there. He'll get right to work.

Nice guy, very good player, solid pro, absolutely zero alpha mentality.
Lauri’s become a beast this season. You think he will forget these skills, or his coach won’t allow him to use them if we get Jaylen Brown or whoever? I think the opposite will happen. Lauri is 25. He will probably get even better for the next 2-4 years. Players in the NBA play their best basketball when they are 27-29 years old.

Was Dirk a better “shot creator” than Lauri? I don’t exactly remember him going iso very often. He very much played like Lauri and was efficient and didn’t dominate (and kill) ball movement.

Seems to me that we have a top tier talent already. The issue is with the rest of the roster. A roster that starts KO, has the 2023 version of Rudy Gay playing significant mins instead of a 2010 like version, and a bunch of rookies that need more experience. Replace Gay with Jaden McDaniels and add just Desmond Bane and this team is a top 5 team in the league. This team has a solid core to build around.

Was Dirk a better “shot creator” than Lauri? I don’t exactly remember him going iso very often. He very much played like Lauri and was efficient and didn’t dominate (and kill) ball movement.

Seems to me that we have a top tier talent already. The issue is with the rest of the roster. A roster that starts KO, has the 2023 version of Rudy Gay playing significant mins instead of a 2010 like version, and a bunch of rookies that need more experience. Replace Gay with Jaden McDaniels and add just Desmond Bane and this team is a top 5 team in the league. This team has a solid core to build around.
Dirk's signature shot is literally an iso

Dirk's signature shot is literally an iso
And he shot those maybe a handful of times a game. The rest were set up by Nash, Harris, and later Kidd. He was devastating because he was so accurate and his shot was unblockable. Dirk benefited by having great systems and great point guards. He’s not exactly a great iso player in my view.

Finally doing the responsible thing and putting TU on ignore. Just an absolute donkey's ***
And the great thing is, is that he’s presumably a Finn, but the way he talks about Lauri it’s more like how a Spaniard would talk about Carlos Arroyo or how a Puerto Rican would talk about Raul Lopez.

And the great thing is, is that he’s presumably a Finn, but the way he talks about Lauri it’s more like how a Spaniard would talk about Carlos Arroyo or how a Puerto Rican would talk about Raul Lopez.
Sounds like I missed some incredible battles.

DFS has been struggling hard in Brooklyn. He may be a product of playing with a super-star. A guy who doesnt need the ball, but does need very clean looks. It creates an interesting buy low for a guy who was considered one of the better "pure" 3&D players in the NBA.

Could the Jazz trade Sexton for DFS + PHX 2023 1st? IF you can do that and sign FVV you can go into 2023/2024 with a rotation of:

FVV/THT
Ochai/Clarkson
DFS/Simone
Lauri
Kessler/KO

You'd also almost certainly package or move some combination of the 4 picks in 2023 for improved depth, moving up the draft, or moving out the draft into another draft.

I would say that trade makes sense for both teams as Utah needs wing defenders and Brooklyn needs some kind of PG prospect and they have an abundance of wing defenders.
Yes, but would you say they have a plethora of wing defenders?

And basically unguardable when he had it going. The championship he won in 2011 is only second to Hakeem in ‘94 in terms of the degree that a champion relied on an individual.
Yeah both of those were perfect examples of having the absolutely spot-on perfect roll players around a single super-star player who was capable of taking over games.

That is really one thing Lauri needs to develop, is a better ability to "turn it on" when he needs to take over games. I get that there haven't really been that many players that had that ability, and the list reads like a who's who of super-stars (Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Malone, Olajuwon, Dirk, Steph, Giannis, KD, Duncan, etc.) but that is really his next step. To figure out that one unstoppable thing in his game and exploit it to gain the upper hand when needed. Malone had the P&R and back to the basket in the post, Duncan was a master of the mid-range banks he could get off against about anybody, Jordan and Kobe probably the 2 best iso players of all-time, Dirk with the mid-range fade-away that was unstoppable, Hakeem with the dream shake, Kareem with the sky-hook. I really think that Lauri would benefit from watching a lot of film of players like Dirk, who are more fundamentally like Lauri is right now, and figuring out what he can do that just cannot be stopped without a full-on defensive assault. Doubles on Malone lead to kicking back to Stock or finding a player rushing the rim for an easy shot, Jordan drew multiple defenders so he was able to set people up well. Dirk was the same way and was a good passer from the high post when he drew the double team. Lauri needs some of this.

If I were to rank the 3 things he needs to develop more to be the killer first option we need I would say:

1) Develop the signature move. Without this he will always be just a player that has to be set up to score.
2) Learn to reliably draw the fouls. Getting to the line is critical for a super-star.
3) Become a better passer out of the post or even on the move. Giannis is a good example of this where earlier in his career he was just a bully to the rim kind of player, but as he developed a better passing game he became a lot more dangerous. He went from averaging around 3-4 assists per game to nearly 6, and that opened things up and netted him MVP honors and a championship.

In fact this is a common trend in super-star players. They take a huge step when they learn to set others up more effectively. Malone doubled his assists even playing with the single best play-maker of all time, from around 2 to well over 4 in his prime years. Even Steph, who was a good playmaker from the start, amped this up in his game to from 5 apg to 7-8 in his prime and through their championship years. Olajuwon doubled his from less than 2 to about 4 apg in his prime years. Durant went from 2-3 apg to well over 5 in his years with GSW.

If Lauri even develops a couple of these things he will be lights out for us, especially considering he is already a plus defender. He could be one of the all-time greats if these things get added to his game. I would already rank him as even if not a bit better for us than Mitchell was. And frankly he will likely be much better, even if just because he is a true 2-way player, where Mitchell phoned his defense in at best.

Man it is a fun time to be a Jazz fan!

Yes, but would you say they have a plethora of wing defenders?
7f644p.jpg

I think both JC and THT opting out is possible.

I think one of the main reasons the Jazz kept Clarkson (and part of why they’re holding him out) is to have him at peak value for a sign and trade.

I think THT could also opt-out, especially if they keep putting the ball in his hands and resting players in an effort to tank.

What I’m wondering is what might be in play for the Jazz in a sign and trade scenario for JC/THT.