What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I think both JC and THT opting out is possible.

I think one of the main reasons the Jazz kept Clarkson (and part of why they’re holding him out) is to have him at peak value for a sign and trade.

I think THT could also opt-out, especially if they keep putting the ball in his hands and resting players in an effort to tank.

What I’m wondering is what might be in play for the Jazz in a sign and trade scenario for JC/THT.
I doubt THT opts out. He might end up getting like a 2/20m type deal (I think that might be aggressive) but having familiarity with the org may leave him thinking he can do better in 12 months and may not want to deal with the unknown. The good news is if he opts in I think he is at least a minor positive now... or not just completely negative. So that's good.

I think both JC and THT opting out is possible.

I think one of the main reasons the Jazz kept Clarkson (and part of why they’re holding him out) is to have him at peak value for a sign and trade.

I think THT could also opt-out, especially if they keep putting the ball in his hands and resting players in an effort to tank.

What I’m wondering is what might be in play for the Jazz in a sign and trade scenario for JC/THT.
Long-shot, but if they both opt-out and the Jazz let them test free agency, how much cap space would Utah have available? Enough to open up a max slot in a new contract? I wonder if anybody out there is interested in trading an All Star for a boatload of picks, cap space and a massive trade exception?

Utah would still have Sexton, Agbaji, Markkanen, Olynyk, Kessler, Dunn, Fontecchio and three brand new rookies to build around. Maybe consolidate two guys roles and salary slots to add one major upgrade overall. Teams don’t usually like to let talented guys leave for nothing, but it would be interesting to see what the Jazz could do with a massive infusion of cap space.

Long-shot, but if they both opt-out and the Jazz let them test free agency, how much cap space would Utah have available? Enough to open up a max slot in a new contract? I wonder if anybody out there is interested in trading an All Star for a boatload of picks, cap space and a massive trade exception?

Utah would still have Sexton, Agbaji, Markkanen, Olynyk, Kessler, Dunn, Fontecchio and three brand new rookies to build around. Maybe consolidate two guys roles and salary slots to add one major upgrade overall. Teams don’t usually like to let talented guys leave for nothing, but it would be interesting to see what the Jazz could do with a massive infusion of cap space.
We will already have the ability to offer a max deal.

I thought that cap holds for the guys opting out would eat into that? How much cap space do the Jazz actually have if everyone comes back next year?
Not sure what JC's hold is but we have like 90M in salary so should have 30ish million in space... we can waive KO to get the amount we need. JC will definitely opt out... so we can offer a max somewhere else and if we find a taker we can waive his cap hold if we need to.

Not sure what JC's hold is but we have like 90M in salary so should have 30ish million in space... we can waive KO to get the amount we need. JC will definitely opt out... so we can offer a max somewhere else and if we find a taker we can waive his cap hold if we need to.
I wonder if KO would agree to restructure his contract. Is that a thing? I just can't see DA wanting to part with him with how good he has been this year.

I wonder if KO would agree to restructure his contract. Is that a thing? I just can't see DA wanting to part with him with how good he has been this year.
He could push his guarantee date back... but restructure is unlikely... we could extend him if they want him around longer... similar to what they did with Ingles. Like 1 year 10M? I'd probably just go ahead and leave him as an expiring contract though.

He may like him but he waived him for Hayward and is probably itching to do it again.

No chance in hell the Jazz taking on Haywards contract
No, I mean he likes Olynyk but was happy to waive him for an improvement (at the time). That’s what he’s got an itch for. Ainge is the guy who’s with someone he likes and finds attractive, but gets off on breaking up with them for someone better.

Long-shot, but if they both opt-out and the Jazz let them test free agency, how much cap space would Utah have available?
The Jazz have a wide-range of salary outcomes, but if they bought out KO rather than keep him on (saves ~$9m), they'd have $20 million in cap AFTER keeping cap holds for JC and THT.

If the Jazz wanted to get wild, they could have ~$70 million incap-space if JC/THT opt-out and they buyout KO.

I think the Jazz may let JC walk or just look to sign and trade him. I'm not sure what to make of our most recent stretch and what it means for the guard position going forward... If we draft a guard how are they going to get on the court? Assuming THT opts in and stays... Sexton/THT/Ochai/Dunn/Rookie.

I think we may have learned that JC is a nice offensive comfort to have but not a necessity...

I think the Jazz may let JC walk or just look to sign and trade him. I'm not sure what to make of our most recent stretch and what it means for the guard position going forward... If we draft a guard how are they going to get on the court? Assuming THT opts in and stays... Sexton/THT/Ochai/Dunn/Rookie.

I think we may have learned that JC is a nice offensive comfort to have but not a necessity...
I can only hope. I think he seems like a solid person and I think he's okay in the 6th man role for certain teams. I don't think he's happy going back to the 6th man role here though and he shouldn't start for us. If we can sign and trade him for someone we want and where he wants to go, great! If not, I'm okay with letting him walk.

JC is the perfect .500 player if he's starting.

Lineup data on THT/Ochai/Kessler/Lauri/KO - +16.6 per 100 - Sub in JC for Ochai - +18.8 per 100

Interesting... is THT and Dunn good enough at PG for now?
Im gonna go with......... Maybe?
Would be interesting to see those numbers with Sexton. I remember Eliza Huge posting our best 3 and 4 man lineups earlier in the season and Sexton always made an appearance in all of them.

Lineup data on THT/Ochai/Kessler/Lauri/KO - +16.6 per 100 - Sub in JC for Ochai - +18.8 per 100

Interesting... is THT and Dunn good enough at PG for now?
It's a shame Sexton hasn't been able to come back yet. I'd love to see how his presence would impact the current group.

I do have this sinking feeling the Jazz are being extra cautious with his hamstring because they are going to really look into moving him before or during the draft.

No, I mean he likes Olynyk but was happy to waive him for an improvement (at the time). That’s what he’s got an itch for. Ainge is the guy who’s with someone he likes and finds attractive, but gets off on breaking up with them for someone better.
In his position it's undoubtedly one of his strongest attributes. He sees what could be instead of getting emotionally involved, which is how you get the best results as far as building a contender. I just hope he keeps Smith from making any player decisions because he feels cool being around said player.

It's a shame Sexton hasn't been able to come back yet. I'd love to see how his presence would impact the current group.

I do have this sinking feeling the Jazz are being extra cautious with his hamstring because they are going to really look into moving him before or during the draft.
The reports about them being unhappy with how Sexton had performed or disappointed or whatever were weird. I'd like to see the fit too. I could see them moving him.