What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I'm guessing he sticks around but if he doesn't we likely miss the playoffs. Landing someone in the top 3 guys I think would also propel us forward. Landing a game manager pg (like a Tyus Jones) would also be a pretty big boost.

If he stays, we could also throw like +$55m at free agents, not ? I'd feel we'd be good with that too.

I would think the Jazz have to feel confident about re-signing JC this summer. If they didn't, I assume they would've moved him for assets at the deadline.

We need a real plus player for add with Lauri and Kessler. And pray for Colin to improve. Jalen Brown make sense specially if Boston don't win this year. Pray also for beeing so bad the next 26 games to get a very good picks. Lot of pray indeed. If we out of luck, we may join the Houston Train.....

For those of us not as familiar with Cam Johnson, can someone explain this to me? He’s supposedly a PF but rebounds like ***. Doesn’t appear healthy. Numbers per 36 are okay for some lesser role player off the bench. Like playing a Rudy Gay role.

For those of us not as familiar with Cam Johnson, can someone explain this to me? He’s supposedly a PF but rebounds like ***. Doesn’t appear healthy. Numbers per 36 are okay for some lesser role player off the bench. Like playing a Rudy Gay role.
+ 1. And we got our tank Amiral Gay with his assistant general THT.

Clarkson has a special situation. He holds tons of value for us in many different ways, but he's also not a key piece, his next contract gonna be for his beyond 30 years of age, while being a pure scoring, no defense guard (negative to black hole in that end) type of player, the easier one to find and acquire in the entire league.

He is one of the most efficient volume three shooters in the league, who is a strong defender, at a switchable position. He has shot 42+% from 3 on ~6 per game over the last two seasons. He is a team player, good locker room guy.

He is a bad rebounder, rebounding at 5.5 RP36. Not great, but Lauri/Kessler are both strong rebounders and I think the 3 would make a strong frontcourt. Cam's space would be ideal for Kessler's development.

Great shooter... has been a little limited in what he does in Phoenix. Solid defender. Kinda like Bogey but more athletic and a better defender. He's more of a SF than PF imo. Cam/Lauri/Kessler is a solid frontcourt.

He was injured earlier this season but healthy now.

Clarkson has a special situation. He holds tons of value for us in many different ways, but he's also not a key piece, his next contract gonna be for his beyond 30 years of age, while being a pure scoring, no defense guard (negative to black hole in that end) type of player, the easier one to find and acquire in the entire league.
I'm sure they know what he wants salary wise since they kinda had that convo already... I'm also sure they know what he would have got on the market. I think its a 50/50 proposition that he comes back. If he leaves we will help through a sign and trade most likely (i think).

We’ll get the top two picks. Wemby and Scoot join the team. Add some veteran players to bring along the young guys. Use all of the assets we have to acquire pieces as needed.

Simple as that.

My ideal offseason as of now...
Option A -
Free Agents: Ayo Dosunmu, Jalen McDaniels, Thomas Bryant
Trades: Future draft pick for Deni Avdija
Draft Picks: #5 - Brandon Miller, #14 - Jett Howard, #25 - Marcus Sasser

Depth Chart
PG - Dosunmu // Sexton // Sasser
SG - Agbaji // Howard // THT
SF - Miler // Avdija
PF - Lauri // McDaniels
C - Kessler // Bryant

Option B -
Free Agents: Gary Trent Jr, Kyle Kuzma, Thomas Bryant, Tre Jones
Trades:
Draft picks: #2 - Scoot Henderson, #18 - Maxwell Lewis, #25 - Leonard Miller

Depth Chart
PG - Scoot // Sexton // Jones
SG - GTJ // Agbaji
SF - Kuzma // Lewis // THT
PF - Lauri // Miller
C - Kessler // Bryant

Option C -
Free Agents: Ayo Dosunmu, Tre Jones, Jalen McDaniels, Darius Bazley
Trades:
Draft picks: #1 - Victor Wembanyama, #10 - Cason Wallace, #25 - Leonard Miller

Depth Chart
PG - Wallace // Jones
SG - Dosunmmu // Sexton // Agbaji
SF - Lauri // McDaniels // THT
PF - Victor // Miller // Bazley
C - Kessler

He's a wing not a PF and the appeal is that he's 6'8, one of the best shooters in the league, and an above average defender.

I'm sure we will, I just hope we swing on the right guys.

Gary Trent Jr I'd actually be cool with depending on the cost.
Jalen McDaniels I'm assuming will be on the list of guys we target.
Ayo Dosunmu is a RFA that we could likely pry away from Chicago.
Kyle Kuzma obviously has ties to Utah but I'm not sure he fits our timeline.

2024 RFA class could feature Haliburton, Avdija, P Williams, Jaden McDaniels, Desmond Bane, and Herb Jones.

He was drafted in the same class as Lauri. If Lauri fits then would Kuzma.Both or neither.But of course - the same question might be with Lauri...

He's a wing not a PF and the appeal is that he's 6'8, one of the best shooters in the league, and an above average defender.

So like a Bogie that actually can defend instead of a "remember that xyz honest possessions he played against Lebron and Paul George/Kawhi where they ended up scoring and winning anyway" ?

So like a Bogie that actually can defend instead of a "remember that xyz honest possessions he played against Lebron and Paul George/Kawhi where they ended up scoring and winning anyway" ?
I don't think his offensive game is as diverse as Bogie but he's probably a better athlete/defender. Cam is solid but he's a role player, 3&D type dude.

I'm sure they know what he wants salary wise since they kinda had that convo already... I'm also sure they know what he would have got on the market. I think its a 50/50 proposition that he comes back. If he leaves we will help through a sign and trade most likely (i think).

Imagine If he wants something around 20 or close to It, maybe 4 years, and the Jazz wanted more like close to 14 and 3 years. I wouldn't really wanna go much above 16 and 3 years.

Great shooter... has been a little limited in what he does in Phoenix. Solid defender. Kinda like Bogey but more athletic and a better defender. He's more of a SF than PF imo. Cam/Lauri/Kessler is a solid frontcourt.

He was injured earlier this season but healthy now.
I think Agbaji / Cam could be a solid duo on the wing as 3&D type players, my only concern is that neither of them really provide a ton of playmaking so we'd need a really good PG to make it work.