What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I think the only two teams you can confidently assume we'll be better than in the West next season are the Rockets and Spurs.

We started hot this year (10-3) but since that we haven't been very good (17-26).

Ya we basically already suck WITH conley, beasley, and clarkson. If we just have clarkson next year then i dont see how we are suddenly good unless we get a big fish in free agency or trade this off season.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Clarkson has a special situation. He holds tons of value for us in many different ways, but he's also not a key piece, his next contract gonna be for his beyond 30 years of age, while being a pure scoring, no defense guard (negative to black hole in that end) type of player, the easier one to find and acquire in the entire league.

Should have traded him tbh

For those of us not as familiar with Cam Johnson, can someone explain this to me? He’s supposedly a PF but rebounds like ***. Doesn’t appear healthy. Numbers per 36 are okay for some lesser role player off the bench. Like playing a Rudy Gay role.

Lol i thought cam johnson was cam payne all this time. I have no idea who cam johnson is apparently

I like Ochai... I am not sold yet that he is a piece you plan around. I need to see better defense. I actually think he can do a little more with the ball and the shot seems pretty nice.

Im not sold on him yet either tbh despite being the jazzfanz leader in clamoring for him to play more.
My favorite thing about him is his size and athleticism. I also think he can do more with the ball if hardy will allow him too. I have seen some very promising flashes

I think something to remember is, at this point, we're ahead of where we need to be with the rebuild. We've talent in lot of positions with an all-star level player in Lauri and decent scoring and young potential in some positions (Kessler is something), a warchest of assets, relatively clean checkbook, and good coaching and good player development. It's important to capitalize on your strengths, so build through the draft, watch for buyouts or trades for buy-low/high potential young players to continue building the roster. If/when a superstar becomes available that makes sense (no Kyries please), you can strike and you have the infrastructure in place to capitalize and support them. If you find one like we did with Don, all the better. So while losing Conley hurts somewhat, but that Lakers pick has a ton of potential value post-Lebron and no one said we're keeping it.

Basically, keep on keeping on.

Im not sold on him yet either tbh despite being the jazzfanz leader in clamoring for him to play more.
My favorite thing about him is his size and athleticism. I also think he can do more with the ball if hardy will allow him too. I have seen some very promising flashes

He has had some awesome catch and finishes off of rebounds or passes that have caught me by surprise. If I was Hardy I would really make an effort to get him out of the corner a bit more and doing stuff. He needs to avoid the nights where he plays 10-15 minutes and is invisible.

He has had some awesome catch and finishes off of rebounds or passes that have caught me by surprise. If I was Hardy I would really make an effort to get him out of the corner a bit more and doing stuff. He needs to avoid the nights where he plays 10-15 minutes and is invisible.
I have seen a few times where he set up teammates nicely too. Maybe there is some playmaking in there somewhere.

Id try for Jerami Grant
Grant would be a great pickup. Outside of that, I’d use it on non-guaranteed or expiring deals to offer a team a salary dump to get out of tax trouble. Punt until the next one and try to find a max guy to add before salaries start getting big again.

Last edited:
Grant would be a great pickup. Outside of that, I’d use it on non-guaranteed or expiring deals to offer a team a salary dump to get out of tax trouble. Punt until the next one and try to find a max gut to add before salaries start getting big again.
IDK, I think you want to sign someone to a big long term this off-season so you can take advantage of the back end of their contract becoming smaller due to the increased cap (that is supposed to be coming?)

Portland may lose some shine in the middle of this GP2 stuff. I'm sure we wouldn't first on Grant's list but maybe there is a window opening a little?
Grant is fools gold and would be a big mistake. His numbers don't actually equate to winning games and he is no longer the really good defender he used to be. He doesn't have an all star impact on the court but wants to be paid all star money.

Still thinking about this, but my first priority for building around Lauri/Kessler is finding a high level distributor and perimeter defender. I'm not seeing a lot of guys like that in free agency, so I think that would be my priority in the draft. There's already been a lot of talk about Cason Wallace and Anthony Black, but I would even consider taking them both and giving ourselves the best chance one of them pans out. I don't think you can have too many of those type of guys, so if they both pan out, then even better.