What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

Salarywise I think Toronto/Milwaukee/Brooklyn/Miami (they have the 3rd highest salary committed to next year currently) are all situations to monitor.

Both LA teams are in a bit of a bind. Lakers can't cross the second apron if they match a max offer for Reaves... Clips likely look to move some salary too.

As far as those players go... I think Pascal is over-rated. Middleton scares me because of age but had a good playoff. FVV and Trent Jr. are options I'd consider for sure.

Brooklyn likely moves Royce or DFS and tries like hell to move Simmons but the cost is likely prohibitive so they end up dumping Harris. DFS is one they should have sold off prior to the deadline if they really had an offer of two firsts. He's one I could see us trading for depending on how the draft goes.

Miami needs to make their super team trade now or dump a ton of salary. They'd be way into the tax right now while losing Strus and Vincent. I could see a Herro trade (Beal/Dame/Donovan?) where they use his salary and another bad salary with picks to grab a star. Maybe they pay the tax if so.

Lakers likely not bringing back all of Russell, Reaves, and Rui. Clips likely try to offload Morris, Covington... maybe Mann if they get better offers. Could also see Powell on the block. Nothing too exciting for us there.
Add Atlanta to this list as well. 4th highest payroll as of right now. I think they finally dump Collins this offseason.

I could see Joe going and playing for Quin. I don't see him coming back to Utah. I can't remember where I read it but he views the trade to Portland as the ultimate back stab and the backstabbers are still in the front office.

Yeah, I'll be kind of surprised if he doesn't end up in Atlanta with Quin.

There’s a decent chance Middleton opts out, maybe his last chance to get a long term deal and MIL might be an abandon ship situation. I’m not super excited about the thought of paying Middleton a lot of money for years 32-34….but he’s still pretty damn good. Can you pass on a player this good if he wants to play here?

Siakam feels like a trade deadline candidate….but we likely have cap space to sign him outright anyways. I think he’s overextended as a high usage guy but don’t know if he’s be happy to scale back. If he’s willing to do that I think it would be a good fit here.

As much as we love Kessler, I do think an ideal state would be to have a more versatile option that can be a 4/5 combo with Lauri. The versatility to play extra big or small will be valuable in the playoffs.

Salarywise I think Toronto/Milwaukee/Brooklyn/Miami (they have the 3rd highest salary committed to next year currently) are all situations to monitor.

Both LA teams are in a bit of a bind. Lakers can't cross the second apron if they match a max offer for Reaves... Clips likely look to move some salary too.

As far as those players go... I think Pascal is over-rated. Middleton scares me because of age but had a good playoff. FVV and Trent Jr. are options I'd consider for sure.

Brooklyn likely moves Royce or DFS and tries like hell to move Simmons but the cost is likely prohibitive so they end up dumping Harris. DFS is one they should have sold off prior to the deadline if they really had an offer of two firsts. He's one I could see us trading for depending on how the draft goes.

Miami needs to make their super team trade now or dump a ton of salary. They'd be way into the tax right now while losing Strus and Vincent. I could see a Herro trade (Beal/Dame/Donovan?) where they use his salary and another bad salary with picks to grab a star. Maybe they pay the tax if so.

Lakers likely not bringing back all of Russell, Reaves, and Rui. Clips likely try to offload Morris, Covington... maybe Mann if they get better offers. Could also see Powell on the block. Nothing too exciting for us there.
Reaves is exciting. Design an offer for Rui that they likely match, then throw the bag at Reaves.

The Bucks just fired Budenholtzer right
So they may clean house and may have every player on the table
They may not re-sign some players

Well, they are in a salary crunch. They’re really ****ed if Middleton opts into his player option. They are more of a team looking to trade salary.

Reaves is exciting. Design an offer for Rui that they likely match, then throw the bag at Reaves.
I like Reaves... but I do wonder if he can live up to his next deal as the hype train is going fairly crazy.

TOR and MIL will be situations to watch for sure, there's high variability with those rosters and the directions they could go.

How are we feeling about these players?

Siakam
FVV
Trent Jr
Middleton
I like siakam

I think this upcoming season is going to be a(n) (other) transition season where the Jazz could/should be trying to win but still be looking for opportunities to stock up on future picks specifically. Young players would be fine, too, I’m just thinking that the Jazz should be banking proverbial cash for future moves. The later the picks are owed, the longer the “cash” is liquid. 2nd rounders count, too (which is where it would be easiest to store value since teams would understandably be reluctant to trade 1sts farther out). Protected (fake-ish, even) 1sts also count.

The ways that the Jazz might be positioned to dig out more assets is to cash in on (trade out) players that won’t likely be here in 3+ years (Clarkson S&T or sign and trade mid season, Sexton if you’re not a believer, Olynyk, maybe THT, Dunn could be useful filler in a trade) take on dead (one year) salary, flipping players, otherwise taking a calculated risk in rehabbing a player, or some combination of the above.

This is a long way of saying that acquiring Jordan Poole should be considered. I think he would be relatively easy to rehab value on during the regular season.

I think this upcoming season is going to be a(n) (other) transition season where the Jazz could/should be trying to win but still be looking for opportunities to stock up on future picks specifically. Young players would be fine, too, I’m just thinking that the Jazz should be banking proverbial cash for future moves. The later the picks are owed, the longer the “cash” is liquid. 2nd rounders count, too (which is where it would be easiest to store value since teams would understandably be reluctant to trade 1sts farther out). Protected (fake-ish, even) 1sts also count.

The ways that the Jazz might be positioned to dig out more assets is to cash in on (trade out) players that won’t likely be here in 3+ years (Clarkson S&T or sign and trade mid season, Sexton if you’re not a believer, Olynyk, maybe THT, Dunn could be useful filler in a trade) take on dead (one year) salary, flipping players, otherwise taking a calculated risk in rehabbing a player, or some combination of the above.

This is a long way of saying that acquiring Jordan Poole should be considered. I think he would be relatively easy to rehab value on during the regular season.

I’m definitely interested in Jordan Poole. For one the cost won’t be anything crazy so it’s great a buy low trade idea.

if Boston lose to 76ers whats our chances of landing JB without giving up Lauri? DA should have strong connection on this one no?

I say lets bid goodbye to Dok, JTA, Potter and Juzang. We will have our three rooks and let's bring in some veteran badboys: Whiteside, Boogie, Brandon Knight, Paris Bass and Tyreke Evans. Give our youngsters some help. The vets only get to come on non guaranteed deals.

We know Lauri wants to play with Luca, but do we know that Luca wants to play with Lauri?

We do. And this also answers the question on if Ainge knew. He did. There were rumors swirling at the end of 2021.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/njz3f3/cowley_the_one_team_lauri_markkanen_has_privately/

Ainge is a mastermind. Doesn’t mean we’ll see Luka in a Jazz jersey, but there’s a whole lot of tea leaves in addition to reporting from actual (non-Monty) insiders.

I’m definitely interested in Jordan Poole. For one the cost won’t be anything crazy so it’s great a buy low trade idea.
I was driving home from fishing yesterday and heard guys on the radio talking about the warriors cap situation. Holy ****. I dont remember the details but they said something like the warriors are going to be paying 500 million for their roster next year and most of that is going to half the other teams in the league. Insane
They were saying that pretty much everyone on that roster is available and will be gettable for very very cheap. They think draymond, klay, wiggins, poole, looney are all gone. They were even saying that they think the warriors might have to attach picks or something to get rid of some of these guys. Jazz could maybe get poole AND a pick or something without giving up anything. Simply by absorbing him into our cap space. Same goes for other guys on the warriors.