What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

But to be clear, he would need to choose us after being unrestricted in a couple of years, right?
Yes... but we've all seen that hot girl with the nerdy dude... now maybe she is a horrible person... maybe he is the funniest dude in the world and is hung like a horse. But the fact is that guy went for it and overcame the odds.

We are likely to get shot down... but go ahead and shoot a shot...

the challenge is Brown is like the star version of OG. He fits literally everywhere... so he will have his choice of basically any destination (through sign and trade or cap space). We can and should try... but our chance of coming up first are slim to none. We might not even make his list... but again... go ahead and try.
Where can he be #1 with better future / pieces around him?

I mean the city/culture change is an unknown.. would he come from big market to the mountains.. but DA knows him really well, and Hardy also.. so those could work in our favor.

If he makes All-NBA this year he becomes supermax eligible next summer. He aint gonna pass up signing that paper.
I would actually bet this happens. I also think him and Tatum are close so the ego stuff may not be there. I don't think Tatum has the MJ Alpha Extreme mode that would rub a #2 guy the wrong way. The difference between the two is not as big either. I think that duo stays together for a long time.

Again... we should go ahead and dream... I ain't gonna lol @YoungJefe Go on ahead and go for it... just don't plan on it ever happening.

Brown coming to Utah is about as likely as Zion playing this season. add another org to the late season tank by the way while at it.
just ****ing draft the next Brown

Where can he be #1 with better future / pieces around him?

I mean the city/culture change is an unknown.. would he come from big market to the mountains.. but DA knows him really well, and Hardy also.. so those could work in our favor.
He's really active in social justice and equality movements. I just don't see him looking at Utah that way and saying "hell yeah". He is in Boston though so maybe he looks for greener pastures that way. I just am not sure he looks at the #1 and #2 thing like we do. I think as long as he gets his and they are winning the pairing with Tatum is something he looks at as a big benefit. But here I am projecting what I think he thinks...

If Danny thinks he has a shot then he should fire away. Can you imagine how salty Celtics fans would be?

Also I believe Lauri could be eligible for a renegotiate and extend type of arrangement after next year. So if you held cap space open you could overcome the CBA constraints and use the cap space that way. He'd get paid a year earlier and everyone could chill out on the worry of will he stay or go. I think we need to plan to have flexibility in a year for a bunch of scenarios.

He's really active in social justice and equality movements. I just don't see him looking at Utah that way and saying "hell yeah". He is in Boston though so maybe he looks for greener pastures that way. I just am not sure he looks at the #1 and #2 thing like we do. I think as long as he gets his and they are winning the pairing with Tatum is something he looks at as a big benefit. But here I am projecting what I think he thinks...

If Danny thinks he has a shot then he should fire away. Can you imagine how salty Celtics fans would be?
Pipe dream or not, I think our offseason plan only comes together after the draft. If we get 2 lottery picks and the best guys on the board who fit our plans are guards.. we might look that card instead of investing big on a proven commodity.

Also I believe Lauri could be eligible for a renegotiate and extend type of arrangement after next year. So if you held cap space open you could overcome the CBA constraints and use the cap space that way. He'd get paid a year earlier and everyone could chill out on the worry of will he stay or go. I think we need to plan to have flexibility in a year for a bunch of scenarios.
He will be old enough for vet exception after next year at least, so we can use open cap before that and use the exception on him.

The more I look into this years free agency group the less I like it for the Jazz. More to do with the fit for our roster (age and skillset) rather than how good some of the players are.

With that in mind we should be looking to take on salary in return for draft capital.

A few ideas:

Jazz/Mavs trade:

Jazz In: THJ, Davis Bertans, 2025 first
Jazz Out: Absorbed with cap space

Mavs In: Cap space
Mavs Out: THJ, Davis Bertans, 2025 first

Reason: Mavs use cap space to re-sign Kyrie and add a third star to the mix. Wonder if they could get Draymond? Jazz replace JC with THJ at less cost than JC new contract, while Bertans won't play enough to have his option in 2024/25 taken up.

Jazz/Miami trade:

Jazz In: Lowry, Robinson, First round draft pick
Jazz Out: KO, maybe Clarkson in a sign and trade (don't know the exact rules with sign and trades)

Miami In: KO, Clarkson
Miami Out: Lowry, Robinson, First round draft pick

Reason: Hero deal kicks in next season and they will be well and truly over the luxury tax, at least with KO and possibly Clarkson they have a better roster. Vet PG who won't improve us, Robinson deal isn't ideal but once salary cap increases won't look as bad and first rounder to add to the collection.

The plan should be to have a decent roster next year that will struggle to win games purely due to how strong the west is. Thus keeping our pick and having a top 10 pick to go with hopefully a top 7 pick this offseason in addition to hopefully a top 15 pick via Minny. Offer Brooklyn a package for Mikal Bridges and then go all in on a star guard.

Ideally it looks something like this PG? - Bridges - Jarace Walker - Lauri - Kessler.
The Jazz essentially traded 4 rotation players for cap space and a token 'high value' draft pick. We could have done deals like these but we valued cap space more than the pick. If the pick was the feature then we would have had not protections. For that reason, I don't see us taking on any 'bad' contracts.

I generally see our roster building following the path below:

1) Very aggressive in the trade market, given that our draft capital is #1 means of acquiring true star talent
2) Once key trade additions are made, additional cap room spent in FA to bolster our nucleus
3) Execution of our remaining draft picks

Someone talk me through how we get Jaylen Brown exactly. Super confused as to the "how?".
He makes an All NBA team, becomes super max eligible, the Celtics come up short and look to do a mini reload around Tatum if Brown asks out / they don’t value him at super max money.

I think it’d probably have to be a three team deal.

I could see a team like Brooklyn being a good potential third partner. They could give up Bridges a wing that helps them win now at a discounted $ salary wise while also reloading on more draft capital as they look to rebuild.

The Jazz essentially traded 4 rotation players for cap space and a token 'high value' draft pick. We could have done deals like these but we valued cap space more than the pick. If the pick was the feature then we would have had not protections. For that reason, I don't see us taking on any 'bad' contracts.
That 27 LAL first is the year after the season they will most likely be tanking, if everyone left, having their own pick. If they don't tank they wont in 27 eitther knowing the odds of keeping it are shiut. They are not likely to be nearly as bad in 27 with as fast as LAL have added free agents in the past.
If the Jazz can trade that pick before the 26 season starts, maybe it has nice return value. Otherwise it is probably going to lose value quickly. AD probably stays there if they can get some help in free agency after Lebron goes back to CLE for his farewell tour.

Yes... but we've all seen that hot girl with the nerdy dude... now maybe she is a horrible person... maybe he is the funniest dude in the world and is hung like a horse. But the fact is that guy went for it and overcame the odds.

We are likely to get shot down... but go ahead and shoot a shot...
I want Jaylen Brown but I don’t think we are really in position to leverage that much draft capital for one player.

Having Lauri / Kessler is a good start but if we are going to contend we have to identify 1-2 star level dudes in the draft.

Bogey, okur, boozer

I think you could pretty easily argue that the Jazz have overpaid for any “major” free agent they’ve signed. I think fortunately most guys contracts didn’t end up being terrible, but it’ll be interesting to see what a DA free agency offseason would look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think if he got out of the shadow of Tatum he would become better than he is? I bet he is tired of playing 2nd fiddle as Tatum is the media darling there.

I dont really care if he would be better. He good enough as is

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

If you lose Clarkson, could sign DiVcenzo.

Having a decent year with GSW. Been shooting it really well and defends.

Max Strus would be a good pick up as well. Having a down year shooting, but can shoot and isnt a terrible defender.

Dude... Danny Ainge just literally cleared cap. There was no question those trades were available during this deadline... but thats not the direction. He is not gonna stuff it again with Bertans and Robinson et al contracts.

I can tell you 100% sure they are not planning to tank next year. They will keep adding young talent and wait for FA/trade opportunities for key pieces.

**** me. Some of you have shocking comprehension.

I literally stated in my post that I don't like our options in free agency. We can either get vets who don't improve us and take game time away from our young players (Kessler, Ochai, Jazz Pick, Minny Pick) or we can over pay for Kuzma and Grant which I don't like either player for the role they would expect. For me the best use of cap space would be to take on bad contracts (nothing crippling) and help other teams out at their expense of a first round draft pick. Those guys can offer vet presence but also not take too many minutes away from the guys we need to develop which is what will be the main goal next season. Won't be a case of tanking but we're not winning many games with potentially 4 first/second year players getting major minutes, especially given how strong the west is.

Bertans and Lowry are out of contract at the end of next season. Robinson is the only really bad contract but even he will be movable by the time we decide to go all in once the salary cap increases in a couple of seasons. THJ is pretty easy contract to move. We will still have plenty of cap space for the following free agency period which is a far better group of out of contract players.

The main reason Danny made cleared that cap space is he now has even more flexibility (it was only Conley who was eating our salary space for next season). If any opportunity arises he can pivot into a win now move but more than likely that won't happen and we have a team that largely resembles the team we have this season but with more young players.