What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I mean, I would trade Lauri for Giannis, but that might be about it.
That’s. It?? What about Tatum, Jokic, Embiid, Curry. That might be it for me.
I thought a few posts back you said to do whatever it takes to get Luka.
I agree though, I don't do whatever it takes if it takes Lauri.
As a rule of thumb, you don’t trade your star for even a bigger star. You are usually trading for a star to add to what you got. You can’t do that if your losing the best player on the squad.

They won’t trade him for at least another year… likely two years… that’s just how these things work.
Ya, kinda mirrors what I have been saying..... Luka aint getting moved. This whole "the jazz are monitoring the luka situation" thing is a nothing burger.

As a rule of thumb, you don’t trade your star for even a bigger star. You are usually trading for a star to add to what you got. You can’t do that if your losing the best player on the squad.
Exactly. You dont do whatever it takes to get luka. You do what makes sense for your own team to get Luka.

Miami's cap crunch likely means that in addition to needing to offload one of Lowry or Robinson they will not bring back Strus or Vincent. Gabe wouldn't be a bad backup plan at pg if we didn't draft or get a better option. Just kind of a solid backup pg type that is good enough to keep the ship afloat if he has to start. Maybe at 7M-ish a year for a couple/few years. Strus may not be a bad get either but I could see him getting close to the MLE type money. I think both guys could have value in a trade if you wanted to flip them later.

Another trade option with Miami would be to send 28 out for 18 and absorb Oladipo's deal (assuming there is someone we like at 18 that won't be there at 28). I think Vic likely sits out the year and is owed 9.5M.

Strus and Vincent are good players....but buyer beware on Heat players. Spo is the best in the league at making these fringe guys look good. Maybe Will Hardy has shown he has that magic too.

Strus and Vincent are good players....but buyer beware on Heat players. Spo is the best in the league at making these fringe guys look good. Maybe Will Hardy has shown he has that magic too.
I agree but I also think its their scouting department finding solid guys. Vincent is more interesting to me as I think he will be cheaper and the FA pg crop is pretty meh. So if we need a stop gap option he is solid. We might be okay rolling with Dunn/THT/a rookie?

I agree but I also think its their scouting department finding solid guys. Vincent is more interesting to me as I think he will be cheaper and the FA pg crop is pretty meh. So if we need a stop gap option he is solid. We might be okay rolling with Dunn/THT/a rookie?

I'm fine with THT/Dunn/Sexton, but if there's a good deal to be had for a PG those guys aren't stopping me either. I like Vincent, always seems to make big plays, but I think I'd be more interested in Strus.

There's a really good chance that we draft a PG at some point in this draft. If we do, I prefer to not sign another PG and leave open an avenue for playing for the rook.

Luka is under contract for 4 more years!!!. That is awesome. No year is even at 50 million either. 40 million, 43 million, 45 million, 48 million.
Durant is 3 more years at 47, 51, 54 million. Luka has a way better contract. And is WAY younger.
Making more money in a year than magic Johnson for his entire career. ****ing insane. No wonder they are all divas.

I'm fine with THT/Dunn/Sexton, but if there's a good deal to be had for a PG those guys aren't stopping me either. I like Vincent, always seems to make big plays, but I think I'd be more interested in Strus.

There's a really good chance that we draft a PG at some point in this draft. If we do, I prefer to not sign another PG and leave open an avenue for playing for the rook.
Yeah I kinda think it depends on the draft and if THT sticks around. Since Collin was hurt I tend to kinda forget he can play at the point even if he’s more of a 2. Vincent would give us a more “normal” pg option I guess and that would be the appeal. If Dunn gets hurt or returns to being a putrid shooter then he may end up being more a 15 minute guy than a 25 minutes a night guy.

Just going to throw this out here. We know that Joe was not happy with how the current Jazz regime traded him after he got hurt.....but the Bucks have some serious money issues and I don't think Joe is going to be super happy to return there. He will be 36 year, but returned surprisingly well from his ACL. Joe isn't going to be our primary POA defender anymore, but he can still run some PnR and spot up on offense. Not a bad option to play next to Sexton tbh. If he can't play, he can still bring the good vibes. I think the "vet presence" stuff is kinda overblown, but it's Joe. Any excuse to bring him back is valid and we should do it without questioning it.

I could see Joe going and playing for Quin. I don't see him coming back to Utah. I can't remember where I read it but he views the trade to Portland as the ultimate back stab and the backstabbers are still in the front office.
Oh I think that is his next stop... or Australia. I agree with @KqWIN that he ain't going back to Milwaukee. I think the Bucks salary dump one of Portis, Allen, or Pat C. there is a story out about the second apron and they are likely as hamstrung by it as anyone.

Oh I think that is his next stop... or Australia. I agree with @KqWIN that he ain't going back to Milwaukee. I think the Bucks salary dump one of Portis, Allen, or Pat C. there is a story out about the second apron and they are likely as hamstrung by it as anyone.

ATL or Australia is more realistic, but less fun to think about.

TOR and MIL will be situations to watch for sure, there's high variability with those rosters and the directions they could go.

How are we feeling about these players?

Siakam
FVV
Trent Jr
Middleton

TOR and MIL will be situations to watch for sure, there's high variability with those rosters and the directions they could go.

How are we feeling about these players?

Siakam
FVV
Trent Jr
Middleton
Salarywise I think Toronto/Milwaukee/Brooklyn/Miami (they have the 3rd highest salary committed to next year currently) are all situations to monitor.

Both LA teams are in a bit of a bind. Lakers can't cross the second apron if they match a max offer for Reaves... Clips likely look to move some salary too.

As far as those players go... I think Pascal is over-rated. Middleton scares me because of age but had a good playoff. FVV and Trent Jr. are options I'd consider for sure.

Brooklyn likely moves Royce or DFS and tries like hell to move Simmons but the cost is likely prohibitive so they end up dumping Harris. DFS is one they should have sold off prior to the deadline if they really had an offer of two firsts. He's one I could see us trading for depending on how the draft goes.

Miami needs to make their super team trade now or dump a ton of salary. They'd be way into the tax right now while losing Strus and Vincent. I could see a Herro trade (Beal/Dame/Donovan?) where they use his salary and another bad salary with picks to grab a star. Maybe they pay the tax if so.

Lakers likely not bringing back all of Russell, Reaves, and Rui. Clips likely try to offload Morris, Covington... maybe Mann if they get better offers. Could also see Powell on the block. Nothing too exciting for us there.