What's new

Roster, minutes distribution, improvement

ekimebirt

So, in evaluating the off season and projecting the improvements the Jazz have made I was wondering what the minutes distribution might look like and whether it would be better than last year and what reasons we may be better, areas where we will stay the same and where we may have regressed. I will focus on the top 10 players. The rest is scrubs minutes.

Last year Hayward played 36 minutes a game for 77 games and his stat 16.2 points 5.1 reb and 5.2 assists. I think the addition of Exum makes Hayward better by relieving pressure off him when Burke was out due to injury or rest. With out increased depth I would like to see his minutes go down to 32 minutes, but still expect 18 points 6 rebounds and 6.5 assists because we have better ball movement and shooters. I would be OK if he played 36 minutes but I like San Antonio's more even minutes distribution model long term.

I expect to see significant improvement from Alec Burks this year. The new style of play fits him and he is really developing. Last year he played 28 minutes per game for 78 games averaging 14 points 3.3 assists and 2.7 rebounds. This year I expect 32 minutes per game 16.5 points, 4 rebounds and 3.5 assists.

Favors averages 30 minutes per game for 73 games scoring 13 points 9 Rebs and 2.7 assists. With a new emphasis on pick and roll and the corner 3 I expect points and assists to improve. 15 points, 10 rebounds and 2.5 assists.

Kanter was coming off an injury last year and this is a contract year. When he first came He had the reputation of being coach able and a very hard worker. I think the tank hit him hard and expect him to come back with a vengeance. Last year Kanter played 80 games averaging 12.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1 assist in 26.7 minutes. This year I expect 15 points, 9 rebounds and 1 assist in 30 minutes per game.

Burke averaged 32 minutes in 70 games scoring 12.8 points with 3 rebounds and 5.7 assists. I expect about the same production here.

Last year Jefferson was the only player to play all 82 games and will be the most easily replaced. 10 points 2.7 rebounds and 1.6 assist in 27 minutes. Hood and or Novack will easily surpass these stats splitting 28 minutes per game. Hopefully Hood quickly forces Novack to scrub status. Their defense may not match Jefferson's veteran presence. Fortunately Jefferson was not exactly an all NBA defender. I expect a better plus minus overall.

Last year Marvin played 66 games averaging 25 minutes with 9 points 5 rebounds, and 1 assist. Booker will come in and get 6 points 5 rebounds and 1 assist in 18 minutes.

Perhaps our biggest improvement will be at back up point guard. Garrett played 71 games averaging 3.5 points 1.4 rebound and 1.7 assists in 15 minutes. Exum will average at least 10 points 5 assists and 4 rebounds in 22 minutes per game.

Last year Evans averaged 18 minutes per game for 66 games. Barring injury I do not see him getting these minutes. Gobert's improvement will take most of these minutes allowing Kanter or Favors more time at power forward.

I see the minutes distribution like this

Burke 32 Exum 16 Clark
Burks 32 Exum 6 Hayward 10 Felix
Hayward 20 Hood 18 Novack 10 Evans
Kanter 30 Booker 18
Favors 30 Gobert 18

Overall I see the Jazz pushing for 500 but falling short. I have not looked at win loss yet pending all rosters being finished and the schedule coming out. Who knows maybe there could be even more. Excited for this season to get going.

Edited following Cleveland trade.

Last edited:
I am interested to see how it turns out.

I expect we will see Favors and Hayward play as many minutes as they can handle each night. I expect Snyder want 3 guys on the floor at all times that run a pick and roll. That means no minutes for Thomas, Evans and Novak at the 3. I have heard rumors of the Jazz signing another guard. I don't think Kanter can handle more than 30 minutes. I wonder if we have going to have 13 or 14 players on the team. Right now we have 14 players under contract. Among the unguaranteed guys, IMO Thomas has earned a roster spot. Murphy is training camp fodder. Clark is going to be fighting to prove that he deserves to stay around as the 14th guy especially if we bring in another guard. Now if that guard can play the 1 and 2 maybe JL III needs to be worried.

Burke 32/Exum 16/JL III
Burks 32/ Exum 6/ Hood 5/ Clark 5
Hayward 34 / Hood 14 / Thomas
Favors 34 / Booker 14/Evans/Thomas/Murphy
Kanter 30/ Gobert 18

Burke got a lot of playing time due to the lack of talent available at the PG position.

With Exum being added (and he's clearly a PG) I think that Burke's playing time will actually be less than last year. My guess would be between 28 to 30 minutes.

Burke will probably start the season getting 30+ minutes a night but I'd be surprised if he's averaging that by the end of December.

Quin did say that defense would be the biggest factor in playing time.

Wait, Booker 8 rebounds in 18 Minutes ? Thats 16 rebounds per 36... Are you for real bro? Last year he played 22 minutes grabbing 5 boards per contest. If Kanter comes into the team in shape again, his rebound numbers will increase immediately. I do not think he will grab under 10 in 30 minutes per game... The last two months of the season he averaged 11 rebounds , playing 30 minutes per game...

I hope Alec shoots more and Trey shoot less... I also do not think that Hayward will grab more than 5 boards per game next season.

Wait, Booker 8 rebounds in 18 Minutes ? Thats 16 rebounds per 36... Are you for real bro? Last year he played 22 minutes grabbing 5 boards per contest. If Kanter comes into the team in shape again, his rebound numbers will increase immediately. I do not think he will grab under 10 in 30 minutes per game... The last two months of the season he averaged 11 rebounds , playing 30 minutes per game...

I hope Alec shoots more and Trey shoot less... I also do not think that Hayward will grab more than 5 boards per game next season.

He's secretly being mentored by Al-Jeff.

You may be right about Booker. I did not look at his stats the way I did for everyone else. I was just going off what I had heard about him being an enforcer and rebounder. Even if he does not pan out Evans could play his 18 minutes and pretty much break even with what Marvin offered.

burks is redundant while we have exum
Ya, you never want to have 2 really good slashers and scorers that get to the line, handle the ball well, and are good passers.

Ya, you never want to have 2 really good slashers and scorers that get to the line, handle the ball well, and are good passers.

If Kanter really knocks down the straight 3 as Lindsey said he would, It would be amazing to have Burks, Exum or Hay on the wings slashing. Just think of the space they will have. Hopefully Hay improves his corner 3 and Exum can hit it.

Snyder will have a whole year trying to fix Corbins crappy coaching mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jazz be WORSE record wise than last year. That said I am way more excited to watch them play this year vs the last 3 years.
Hayward will be very similar number wise. Favors too. Burke will get fewer minutes cause of Exum, I would imagine his numbers stay close as well. Kanter however I see getting much better numbers, a double double average is a real probability. Burks could blow up in the Snyder system. 18pts. 3 assists. 4 boards are realistic.

If Kanter really knocks down the straight 3 as Lindsey said he would, It would be amazing to have Burks, Exum or Hay on the wings slashing. Just think of the space they will have. Hopefully Hay improves his corner 3 and Exum can hit it.
Yep
And also, alec is a pretty decent three point shooter and from what chauncey billups said alec is really good at corner threes. (Billups nicknamed alec burks "the corner pimp" because he is good at hitting threes from the corner)

Burks could blow up in the Snyder system. 18pts. 3 assists. 4 boards are realistic.

If he gets minutes then he should easily get those numbers.

Last year when hayward got injured in january burks started for the 5 games that hayward was out and averaged 19 points and almost 5 assists during those five games. And that includes a game against detroit where alec only took 2 shots and scored 6 points in a 21 point win that alec got 28 minutes in.

And that was under corbin in a tanking year.