What's new

ROY of the year Race

If it’s possible, which I think is not something that would limit the all revolutionary Adam Silver, the association should definitely split this award this season. It does not get any closer than this leaving stats aside and embracing common sense.

Bah, I'm OK giving ROY to Simmons, but if they also give the DPOY to Embiid, Ima gonna burn some stuff down. There is no "minimum games played" stated for the award. If they define Simmons a rookie by technicality, then "unwritten rule" Rudy, the NBA can get bent.

"Simmons won't win ROTY because of east coast bias, he will have earned it" =/= "bias doesn't exist"
I interpreted you're "Where's the evidence?" statement and the stuff about "woe is us" to mean you thought the bias didn't exist. I guess we're probably on the same page.

Bah, I'm OK giving ROY to Simmons, but if they also give the DPOY to Embiid, Ima gonna burn some stuff down. There is no "minimum games played" stated for the award. If they define Simmons a rookie by technicality, then "unwritten rule" Rudy, the NBA can get bent.

Pretty much this. Difference in minutes played by season end will be around 100... Rudy should win it.... games/minutes played is no longer a differentiator between the two guys.

"Simmons won't win ROTY because of east coast bias, he will have earned it" =/= "bias doesn't exist"

So you agree that the bias exists but don’t believe that the bias actually happens or can affect anything.

So you agree that the bias exists but don’t believe that the bias actually happens or can affect anything.
If anything the bias is ‘Mitchell is awesome and humble, Simmons is an arrogant douche I’m voting for Mitchell’.

All I’m saying is that Mitchell is in no way being underrepresented to the public at large. He has transcended small market Utah, everyone everywhere knows about him and loves him.

Idk why everyone here seems to enjoy being the victim of bias or unfairness. Anyone connected to the pulse of the league would know that nothing could be further from the truth for Mitchell. That’s all I’m saying I was not commenting on any other forms of bias.

If anything the bias is ‘Mitchell is awesome and humble, Simmons is an arrogant douche I’m voting for Mitchell’.

All I’m saying is that Mitchell is in no way being underrepresented to the public at large. He has transcended small market Utah, everyone everywhere knows about him and loves him.

Idk why everyone here seems to enjoy being the victim of bias or unfairness. Anyone connected to the pulse of the league would know that nothing could be further from the truth for Mitchell. That’s all I’m saying I was not commenting on any other forms of bias.

You are making an assumption here. You don’t know what everyone everywhere watches and how it affects them. At least I don’t see how you could know that.

You are making an assumption here. You don’t know what everyone everywhere watches and how it affects them. At least I don’t see how you could know that.
Um, we’ll then I guess the whole east coast bias argument just collapsed. Because that’s all just assumptions as well.

Just because Mitchell is overcoming something does not mean it doesnt exist. It is a fact that many of the voters dont watch Jazz play more than a few games a year.

Also just because 1 bias exists doesnt mean no others exist. The bias you stated could also exist in addition to others stated that you seemed to agree exist but just dont hurt him.

You can argue that the bias helps Mitchell, but I disagree with that. But the bias does exist. If you dont think its a factor, thats fine. I personally think watching Mitchell more makes you realize he is a better player and a bigger part of the Jazz. If you think just watching highlights of a player makes them look better than I would argue that any player can look good through highlights and that does not make Mitchell stand out.

I dont think anyone here wants it, enjoys being the victim or unfairness. Its just a fact that exists. Mitchell certainly is doing everything he can in his power to overcome it. I think you might be lumping some other stuff into this situation.

I think we’re going in circles at this point.

Mitchell or Simmons both deserve ROTY and I will roll my eyes at ‘bias’ excuses made afterward if Simmons wins. You don’t have to agree.

Malone won two MVPs while Jordan was in the league.

Westbrook won MVP in OKC

LeBron became a superstar in Cleveland, KD in OKC

Duncan and the Spurs, what more needs to be said?

Etc.

Etc.

In general I think small market bias is totally overplayed, especially nowadays. Just my opinion, agree or don’t.

This.

As long as those two awards are split Ill be happy. I'd prefer Rudy to be recognized as DPOY though.

Um, we’ll then I guess the whole east coast bias argument just collapsed. Because that’s all just assumptions as well.

But you yourself said it exists. We all did. It’s a fact that different times zones exist not an opinion. There is actual factual data showing how many people watch a sporting event or a you tube video or whatever. There are census information showing how populous different cities and areas are. Plenty of facts rather than opinions.

You saying that everyone everywhere is seeing just as much Mitchell as Simmons is opinion. You saying that east coast bias exists but couldn’t possibly effect the roy race is opinion.

Also, why should we care?

If DM wins, awesome and he'll deserve it.

If he doesn't, who cares? He already has the recognition and respect of the league plus he can use that chip on his soldier to propel him to new heights.

Mitchell or Simmons both deserve ROTY and I will roll my eyes at ‘bias’ excuses made afterward if Simmons wins. You don’t have to agree.

Westbrook won MVP in OKC

Etc.

Etc.

In general I think small market bias is totally overplayed, especially nowadays. Just my opinion, agree or don’t.

I don’t agree or disagree. I thinks it’s possible that east coast bias could affect the roy award. Also possible that it has no affect whatsoever.

They could be joint winners I think that would actually be a pretty fair outcome.

Westbrook won MVP in OKC

Etc.

Etc.

Whoa whoa whoa, back up dawg. You tellin us Malone dint earn that over Jordan? Dude lost the award in 1998 which was arguably his best season. Led the league in so many advanced stats. Wad on his game for 3 years runnin.

Westbrook won MVP in OKC

Etc.

Etc.

These are good examples, but all of those small-market teams and players had to achieve the highest or near-highest levels of success possible to get this respect and recognition. Stockton/Malone Jazz were top seed in the west, best record in the NBA, went deep in the playoffs multiple times. Westbrook averaged a triple-double, he also has made a finals and multiple WCF. LeBron is one of, if not, teh greatest player of all time. Early Duncan is an all-time great and the Spurs routinely won titles and went deep in the playoffs and often finished at the top of the conference.

Conversely, if the Lakers or Philly or the Knicks had had the season last year that the Jazz had, it would have been a huge ****ing deal. As it was, it was a good story and an 'underrated' team. That is where the difference lies.