What's new

Rudy Gobert greatness - in simple infographics

karpasov

attachment.php

Everybody love Rudy. Are the numbers consistent with what the eyes see?
I did a little infographic based on his performance so far.
This is only a 'superficial' research because –
A. The STATs that "made it" to the list are only those in which he is ranked 20th or better in the entire league
B. It is based solely on Basketball-Reference "simple" search for the NBA leaders so far (with the exception of the ORTG per 100 possessions stat. The reason for that is explained below)

The most intriguing and phenomenal stat is his ORTG per 100 Pos. It is a huge surprise he is that high on the list (obviously because his low MPG and the very slow pace of the Jazz right now, this figure will not be obvious within the "simple" stat sheets, hence the per100pos reference).
Right now, he is leading the entire Jazz team both in ORTG and DRTG per 100 Possessions! Unreal!

I am planning to make a broader map based on deeper analysis of his performance later on.

Attachments

• RUDY.jpg
    RUDY.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
attachment.php

The most intriguing and phenomenal stat is his ORTG per 100 Pos. It is a huge surprise he is that high on the list (obviously because his low MPG and the very slow pace of the Jazz right now, this figure will not be obvious within the "simple" stat sheets, hence the per100pos reference).
Right now, he is leading the entire Jazz team both in ORTG and DRTG per 100 Possessions! Unreal!

Very interesting, and it makes sense : A great defensive center slows down the pace of the game massively because the opposition keeps moving the ball around trying to avoid him. A penetrating player ends up backing away because of Rudy's length, ends up resetting the possession, etc. All this ending up in longer possessions ending in longish jumpshots. Because the opposing team ends up shooting a jumpshot rather than penetrating, it gets back in defense better (wings and guards are already on the way back when the shot goes up, as opposed to during a penetration). This means the Jazz's offense is also somewhat slowed down. So the pace adjustment brought by a big defensive center like Rudy is massive.

When you look at advanced stats, one sees the progress he has made on offense in terms of knowing where he should go and keeping the ball moving. Last year his defensive numbers were good but his offensive numbers were abysmal. This year his defensive numbers are very good and his offensive numbers (offensive box plus minus for example) are perfectly average already. Big improvement.

rudy gobert is a monster.

he's an absolute monster down low. Gasol was getting frustrated as heck.

rudy gobert is a monster.

he's an absolute monster down low. Gasol was getting frustrated as heck.

He blocked him twice IIRC - that is AWESOME. Gasol is one of the best BIG in the NBA right now and Gobert took it right to him.

If Rudy's ceiling is Marcus Camby, I'd be fine with that. If he develops his offense though, good hell..
I would change marcus camby to Tyson Chandler. (Camby had a great outside shot. Chandler had no offense other than dunks)

The crazy thing about Gobert is that he really isn't that "good" yet. Most of what he does is based on size and athletic ability. He rarely gets good positioning on rebounds, his hand strength is that of a 10 year old girl and his offensive game very raw. When he gets this thing down he will be a legit DPOY contender.

The crazy thing about Gobert is that he really isn't that "good" yet. Most of what he does is based on size and athletic ability. He rarely gets good positioning on rebounds, his hand strength is that of a 10 year old girl and his offensive game very raw. When he gets this thing down he will be a legit DPOY contender.

I wouldn't say that in terms of skill. We don't realise how coordinated he is for such a mammoth. The way he dribbles the ball or that funny eurostep thingie, even if they are of very limited interest for a big man, show soft handles.

I a agree with you re the strength though : The difficult bit is when you are so big, not only moving your big long limbs requires more strength, but you also play in a restricted and crowded area where you have less space. We often see that Gobert goes for the basket without fully extending his arms for example. there is a clear issue of strength rather than skill.

I wouldn't say that in terms of skill. We don't realise how coordinated he is for such a mammoth. The way he dribbles the ball or that funny eurostep thingie, even if they are of very limited interest for a big man, show soft handles.

I a agree with you re the strength though : The difficult bit is when you are so big, not only moving your big long limbs requires more strength, but you also play in a restricted and crowded area where you have less space. We often see that Gobert goes for the basket without fully extending his arms for example. there is a clear issue of strength rather than skill.

I have all the faith in the world that Rudy will be great.

I wonder about the guys around him. In five years, can Favors be Aldridge? Maybe a little less of a shooter but able to spread the floor a bit. It seems like we will need these guys to build their games around each other.

Rudy is Tim Duncan, without the jump shot or whinny face.
He is the future and the present.
If Rudy likes Trey, then Trey stays.
Same for everyone else.
If Rudy wants to play with Clint Capella or Evan Fournier, then the jazz should trade Gordon Hayward or whoever else.
If Rudy wants to change the mascot from a bear to a loaf of French bread, it should be done.
If Rudy feels homesick, Mayor Becker should bulldoze the fair grounds and the trailer park on North Temple to build replica Eiffel Towers, and the Louve. North temple should be renamed Avenue de Champs Élysées, the City should construct an Arc de Triomphe for the TRax line to go under.
If Rudy wants to be interviewed in French, puis Matt Harpring va apprendre à parler français.
If Rudy would like a nice French restaurant in downtown, Greg Miller should move to Paris to study cuisine.

Rudy is Tim Duncan, without the jump shot or whinny face.
He is the future and the present.
If Rudy likes Trey, then Trey stays.
Same for everyone else.
If Rudy wants to play with Clint Capella or Evan Fournier, then the jazz should trade Gordon Hayward or whoever else.
If Rudy wants to change the mascot from a bear to a loaf of French bread, it should be done.
If Rudy feels homesick, Mayor Becker should bulldoze the fair grounds and the trailer park on North Temple to build replica Eiffel Towers, and the Louve. North temple should be renamed Avenue de Champs Élysées, the City should construct an Arc de Triomphe for the TRax line to go under.
If Rudy wants to be interviewed in French, puis Matt Harpring va apprendre à parler français.
If Rudy would like a nice French restaurant in downtown, Greg Miller should move to Paris to study cuisine.

Solid effort.

He's so damn cool. Looking forward to Exum to Gobert. . . those two have good chemistry on the floor. Good thing they'll both be key parts of the Jazz core.

He'a got the nasty, he will elevate this team to higher grounds that could ever be expected.
#BackToRelevance

Rudy Gobert
#unitingjazzfanz