What's new

Rudy should be frontrunner for DPOTY right?

Of course there's no stat for affect. You just have to look at him:

jMb5yWkz.jpg

On the contrary, this guy has some pretty bad affect:

demarcus-cousins.jpg

I think my boy Boogie will be the dark horse in the DPOTY vote, failing that that bloke from San Antonio with hands like buckets seems to go Ok on the defensive end...

Sports writers and commentators, like everyone else, engage in herd mentality thinking. (There are exceptions, such as Skip Bayless, but his 'contrarian' approach is so rehearsed and so transparent, and he's such a douche about it, and his contrary opinions so often either border on or cross over into absurd, that I don't count him.) Once someone has a label slapped on him/her, reagardless of how well earned, the sports press cling doggedly and (as a rule) uncritically to the label. My guess is that a good share of them who spout unequivocably that Draymond or Leonard are defensive player of the year have no real idea of the underlying statistics supporting their case, or even what the criteria are or should be. They just hear everyone else say it, so they repeat it. It's self-perpetuating.

But it cuts both ways. Once Gobert finally crosses the threshold and officially gets the mantel laid on him, then he'll benefit from the same herd mentality moving forward.

Sports writers and commentators, like everyone else, engage in herd mentality thinking. (There are exceptions, such as Skip Bayless, but his 'contrarian' approach is so rehearsed and so transparent, and he's such a douche about it, and his contrary opinions so often either border on or cross over into absurd, that I don't count him.) Once someone has a label slapped on him/her, reagardless of how well earned, the sports press cling doggedly and (as a rule) uncritically to the label. My guess is that a good share of them who spout unequivocably that Draymond or Leonard are defensive player of the year have no real idea of the underlying statistics supporting their case, or even what the criteria are or should be. They just hear everyone else say it, so they repeat it. It's self-perpetuating.

But it cuts both ways. Once Gobert finally crosses the threshold and officially gets the mantel laid on him, then he'll benefit from the same herd mentality moving forward.

Nice post. I see what you're saying. But unfortunately I don't think Rudy will ever have the benefit of that herd mentality. Kawhi is so entrenched into his position within that herd because he walked in to a dynasty. A team that constantly won at a high level and was constantly a top defensive team. He won a Finals mvp too so it gave him advantages. Draymond is entrenched in it because he was drafted into a champion as well. His teams constantly win at a high level and are in the public eye. If this season where Rudy is so clearly the best defensive player doesn't put him over the top for the award I don't think anything ever will. He doesn't have the advantages of the other two and the media is ALWAYS going to overlook Jazz players. Hell, John Stockton is the all time leader in steals and never made the all defensive first team.

Nice post. I see what you're saying. But unfortunately I don't think Rudy will ever have the benefit of that herd mentality. Kawhi is so entrenched into his position within that herd because he walked in to a dynasty. A team that constantly won at a high level and was constantly a top defensive team. He won a Finals mvp too so it gave him advantages. Draymond is entrenched in it because he was drafted into a champion as well. His teams constantly win at a high level and are in the public eye. If this season where Rudy is so clearly the best defensive player doesn't put him over the top for the award I don't think anything ever will. He doesn't have the advantages of the other two and the media is ALWAYS going to overlook Jazz players. Hell, John Stockton is the all time leader in steals and never made the all defensive first team.

I disagree, there is also the need for relative novelty : just like award givers didn't want to give the MVP to Jordan or Lebron all the time, whihc in truth was wrong because Jordans should have been MVP basically non stop during his best years and so should have James.. But there is a need for novelty or renewal and Gobert can benefit from that. Just look at how Noah got his DPOY. He had been the anchor of the league's best defense for a few years and eventually the league gave it to him on the year he was actually carrying much more of an offensive burden and was less focus on D.

So if we take this "renewal" approach in mind, Kawhi has won it 2 years in a row already, Green has been very impressive for a few years, The most likely outcome is that this year they give it to Green because "it's his turn" with Gobert second and Kawhi slipping to 3rd, and next year with an equivalent season Gobert will most certainly get the nod.

I saw something during last night's game that listed Rudy 5th in DPOY voting. Blew my mind.
No way that is right. Are voters that dumb or out of touch?
Simple answer: yes.
People love to give their opinion and most are uneducated yet think their opinion is still important and right. Humans are stupid and egostical. Humans also live to hear things once, internalize it, and later spew the same drivel they heard at a later date with confidence like it's Gospel. That's why hype for Rudy growing in mainstream media is so important obviously, so the herd internalizes it and doesn't spout things idiotic like Whiteside is better!(remember that stupid ****?!) or just the common "Dray vs Kawhi, who's Gobert lmao?!". The good news is Rudy is becoming more mainstream so his chances are rising . He literally is becoming to good to be ignored, because being in Utah isnt doing him and favors in mainstream popularity. I'd say he is DPOY but currently he's gonna have to be much greater to win, which he can I think. Helps his impact is just so unique and in today's NBA climate there is thankfully intelligent mainstream reporters out their like Zach Lowe who actually shockingly watch a lot of games and watch teams like Utah, so when good basketball is being played it can get out there. Thank the gods people don't have to listen to dip****s like Jalen Rose (or other former bird brain players)anymore with some better options out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If awards were just given to the players with the best stats then there would be no point in voting. Everyone is aware of the "popularity contest" to an extent. These things are just for fun at the end of the day.

Is this a real post? Do you really think that all statistics fit into an obvious hierarchy of importance and that each one speaks clearly for itself? Have you ever studied economics (even for a day)? Statistics fuel debate. One way of resolving debate is by voting.

Not to mention that there's not a statistic for every single impact a player has.

Is this a real post? Do you really think that all statistics fit into an obvious hierarchy of importance and that each one speaks clearly for itself? Have you ever studied economics (even for a day)? Statistics fuel debate. One way of resolving debate is by voting.

Not to mention that there's not a statistic for every single impact a player has.

wow chill out dude, he has a very valid point, awards are not like scoring title or what, once you ask people to VOTE it opens the vote to many more criteria be them conscious or unconscious than just stats, it's a fact we shouldn't forget.

wow chill out dude, he has a very valid point, awards are not like scoring title or what, once you ask people to VOTE it opens the vote to many more criteria be them conscious or unconscious than just stats, it's a fact we shouldn't forget.

Indeed. Deciding DPOY isn't like a scoring title.

giphy.gif