Rudy's Jumper was Beautiful

TheGoldStandard

His jumper has come a VERY LONG way. But until he can hit free throws, I think it's about the 253rd option in the Hydr-offense.
I don't disagree, but when he is on the perimeter he defender (for good reason) sags off clogging the paint. If he can shoot a respectable percentage taking wide open 3s, we should let him do it. It will open up the offense even more.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Perhaps some comps would be Manute Bol or Thon Maker, two guys who are long and not really shooters who will put up some three balls, despite having FT% more in Rudy's ballpark (56.1%, 68%, and 64.1%, respectively). Okay, so Bol shot pretty terribly (21%), but averaged about a three (attempt) every other game, while Maker shoots too much for what we'd want Rudy to do (1.5 per game), though he does connect on a percentage of 32.7%. I'd also be curious on how often Maker is shooting wide-open, as my assumption is that's probably the bulk of his shots, though I could be wrong.

Jeditiger

Hoppy Goodness
Contributor
I was always amused when Marcus Camby would take a deep midrange jumper. But that dude could hit em. Gobert could be like that. It’s not the most efficient shot, but it’s better than a turnover.

framer

I mean, Rudy's FT% through February was pretty damn respectable considering his career averages. He's shooting 72% his last 10 games. It is obvious he's putting time in getting better.

cowhide

I have always thought Rudy needs to expand his game out from the basket. Some people started attacking that opinion but the reasons why I suggested it was because Rudy as of now is one dimensional on offense. If he starts hitting consistently some jump shots and even a 3pt then other centers have to come out and guard him. This opens up the lane for our other guys. In the playoffs teams are backing off Rudy to protect from the alley-oops and having a jump shot would certainly make teams less to pack the paint. I mean this only works if he takes enough shots and hits them at a high percentage.

LogGrad98

Contributor
Well it is pretty obvious Rudy is not going to improve much from 0-10 feet out, he struggles to get to the rim against short people when he should be flying and dunking that sucker, and his little hook and layup are pretty pathetic. He might as well shoot the open 20 footer. He will get a lot of looks from there each game until teams catch on he is making them at a decent clip. Then he helps with spacing.

Wes Mantooth

Didn't watch the game last night but caught the highlights.
The jump shot looked good! I really wish he would stop shooting the midrange ones and just take a 3. That was probably the farthest two he has taken and it was the most smooth and confident we've seen him take.

Just get rid of those 1-2 players per game where he tries to isolate on a drive or drive into a post up and just make him shoot 3s.

You’re a ****ing clown. Two years ago I suggested he work on his perimeter game and you balked at it because “he’s so efficient.” Just like you balked when I said we should pursue Clarkson 16 months ago.

Get an original idea, dummy.

Saint Cy of JFC

You’re a ****ing clown. Two years ago I suggested he work on his perimeter game and you balked at it because “he’s so efficient.” Just like you balked when I said we should pursue Clarkson 16 months ago.

Get an original idea, dummy.
I mean, I still think it's largely stupid, but the point is that I'd rather him do those things than post-up or drive.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
Well last night it really kind of sucked that he decided on the jumper with plenty of time on the shot clock and then Dwight hit a three. I just think Rudy has a hard time knowing when to pull this stuff out of the bag already and I don’t see the cost benefit working out on a Rudy jumper. There have been several times when Rudy decides to drive or take one too many dribbles at a key moment.

So no thanks on the attempt to develop a jumper. I’ll pass.

Saint Cy of JFC

Well last night it really kind of sucked that he decided on the jumper with plenty of time on the shot clock and then Dwight hit a three. I just think Rudy has a hard time knowing when to pull this stuff out of the bag already and I don’t see the cost benefit working out on a Rudy jumper. There have been several times when Rudy decides to drive or take one too many dribbles at a key moment.

So no thanks on the attempt to develop a jumper. I’ll pass.
Lmao, That was such a back breaker. I thought the Rudy jumper looked good and I was super happy that his jumper baited Howard into taking a 3 (BUT THEN HE MADE IT).

Saint Cy of JFC

Love this shot attempt by Gobert. Gobert's biggest issue is that he sucks at taking contact and remaining in control of his shot.

Solution: Don't make contact, use your insane size to shoot over a smaller player. Not the best balance, but he at least got the attempt of clean and gave it a chance to go in. Rudy's jumper is actually kind of soft so I think this shot isnt the worst if he can get it off with balance.